Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #21
mark hill

Default Re: What is Cidri's average tech?

OMG low tech airguns ?? Ill hafta check those out

EDIT .. umm yeah napoleons guys had access to these airguns .. around 1800 they had spring steel .. its centuries away, like I said, you need to smelt steel at thousands rather than hundreds of degrees, its just not possible yet on Cidri

a 15th century gun for bird shooting isnt really butch enuf for warfare

Last edited by mark hill; 04-12-2019 at 10:27 AM.
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #22
mark hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
As presented, gunpowder is far too rare and expensive to allow for mass production of firearms and widespread use in large-scale organized warfare (again, assuming you stick with the default premise from ITL).
Its a lot cheaper and easier than 10,000 wizards .. and if a musketeer is killed, you just hand the gun to another peasant .. a dead wizard is irreplaceable (unless your enemy will kindly wait 20 years for you to train another)

Last edited by mark hill; 04-12-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #23
Skarg

The historical period is far future compared to Earth, after the Mnoren events described, which involve a world-spanning empire combining low-tech worlds with worlds that have space travel and/or magic, building a playground which seems to have had thousands, millions, or billions of different intentionally low-tech non-Mnoren regions for variety and entertainment of the Mnoren, and then the Mnoren disappearance which left tech mostly medieval-or-lower (including some stone age populations) but with some magic, and a few technological artifacts, and some more modern knowledge, ideas, and cultures.

So the clothes could be anything.

As for technological development since the Mnoren disappearance, it's been both less necessary due to the magic and other abundances of Cidri, and very intentionally underminded by the Wizards' Guild.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #24
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hill View Post
a 15th century gun for bird shooting isnt really butch enuf for warfare
Ah, but it's a potential starting point for a different tech tree. Just because airguns followed one path on Earth doesn't mean they'd follow the same path on Cidri. If they were seen as more reliable and effective than gunpowder guns, as they were on Earth for a time, then additional research and engineering cleverness might have made them into more potent weapons on that world. Given how fallible gunpowder is on Cidri, due to conditions that don't exist here, I could easily see airgun technology being more exploited there.

We just took one path on Earth, and on another world there would be clever people who came up with approaches we didn't.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #25
mark hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
The historical period is far future compared to Earth, after the Mnoren events described, which involve a world-spanning empire combining low-tech worlds with worlds that have space travel...
I always thought it was contemporary to our earth .. WE have space travel (ok its not Star Trek but .. thats the tech level I thought they meant, actually, around 1977-8 to be precise, when TFT came out)
Old 04-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #26
TippetsTX

Quote:
Its a lot cheaper and easier than 10,000 wizards .. and if a musketeer is killed, you just hand the gun to another peasant .. a dead wizard is irreplaceable
I'm not sure that's true... a single shot from a gunpowder weapon costs me $100, but I can apparently hire a veteran wizard mercenary for $125 per week. Seems like the wizard army is far more cost-effective to me. ;)
Old 04-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #27
mark hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Given how fallible gunpowder is on Cidri, due to conditions that don't exist here ..
You mean guns failing to fire around 1 in 6 of the time? Thats probably about how good the guns of Cortez were when he conquered mexico :)
Old 04-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #28
mark hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I'm not sure that's true... a single shot from a gunpowder weapon costs me $100, but I can apparently hire a veteran wizard mercenary for $125 per week. Seems like the wizard army is far more cost-effective to me. ;)
maybe so .. but how much cheaper are your wizards in mass production? Gunpowder is 17 units of charcoal/5 units of sulphur/1 unit of nitrates (produced from human urine or cow poo usually)

Obviously that gets real cheap if the Duke Dran throws very large sums of money at it .. can you say the same of wizards, that take decades to produce each?
Old 04-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #29
Shadekeep

Quote:
You mean guns failing to fire around 1 in 6 of the time? Thats probably about how good the guns of Cortez were when he conquered mexico :)
Not just that. Read up the section in ITL on gunpowder. The very best quality fails 1:6 times, lesser quality even moreso. And it's very expensive and uncommon stuff. Explicitly or implicitly, there are multiple factors keeping the material from being as popular on Cidri as it is on Earth. The microbe on Cidri makes gunpowder an entirely different game.

There's nothing saying that as a GM you can't turn your campaign into Guns & Gargoyles. But in my campaign you can usually spot the rare gunpowder user by the eyepatch and missing fingers. ^_^
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #30
FireHorse

Quote:
I rather doubt that. 1 in 6 shots misfiring is really high, even for that period — and all things considered, so is the 1 in 216 chance of the gun blowing up in your face. (A probability that would earn such a gun a solid "No, thank you" from me.)
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote