Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Figleaf23
Banned

Default [Powers] Afflict on sight

Hello,

Is there a prefered canonical way to build an Affliction that affects whoever looks at the character?

Thank muchly.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
Walrus

Default Re: [Powers]Afflict on sight

Sense-Based (Vision) +150%

Add Reflexive +40% to afflict instantly. Add Aura +80%, Melee, C -30%, desired Area Effect and, probably, Always On for persistent ability. Consider Sense-Based (Reversed Vision) if you must maintain eye-to-eye contact with your victim.

Don't forget Malediction in all cases.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: [Powers]Afflict on sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Sense-Based (Vision) +150%

Add Reflexive +40% to afflict instantly. Add Aura +80%, Melee, C -30%, desired Area Effect and, probably, Always On for persistent ability. Consider Sense-Based (Reversed Vision) if you must maintain eye-to-eye contact with your victim.

Don't forget Malediction in all cases.
Thank you.

A couple of questions if I may --

What makes something qualify as a persistent ability?

Also, what function is Malediction doing in the build?

If I go with just Vision Based and Reflexive, what would it do?

Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Genesis

Default Re: [Powers] Afflict on sight

I'd say reflexive is a little weird here - IDHMBWM, but I think Reflexive explicitly says it's for defenses that take less than a second to activate. Always On also isn't appropriate, I think - it's not for attacks. And Melee is also a bad idea - you're presumably not that range-limited (what's Melee + Area Effect even mean?), and you probably can't parry or rapid strike with this ability.

I'd say Malediction is important because "Medusa Gaze" effects generally aren't blocked by DR - wearing a riot mask won't keep you from turning to stone, although it will handily block pepper spray (or other non-malediction afflictions).

Aura is good, with Area Effect to increase range.

TBH, I can't think of a way to make an Affliction not require an Attack maneuver off the top of my head, although I'm probably overlooking something. This definitely feels like it ought to be buildable....
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I'd say Malediction is important because "Medusa Gaze" effects generally aren't blocked by DR - wearing a riot mask won't keep you from turning to stone, although it will handily block pepper spray (or other non-malediction afflictions).
Malediction is a penatration modifier, and the one you want is sight-based

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Malediction is a penatration modifier, and the one you want is sight-based
Yes, of course, you're right - although I'd probably pile on Resistible and (maybe) Short Range to make a medusa-style ability which feels more spell-like to me. Assuming that's what OP wants to model.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Yes, of course, you're right - although I'd probably pile on Resistible and (maybe) Short Range to make a medusa-style ability which feels more spell-like to me. Assuming that's what OP wants to model.
I can't remember exactly how Medusa's schtick worked. Did she have to look at someone or meet their eyes? I'm looking for something where the victim is affected just by seeing the afflictor-character, even if the afflictor-character is unaware of being observed.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
I can't remember exactly how Medusa's schtick worked. Did she have to look at someone or meet their eyes? I'm looking for something where the victim is affected just by seeing the afflictor-character, even if the afflictor-character is unaware of being observed.
So we're talking defeat with no way to avoid it?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

If you want to have it affect everyone who looks at the character, you need Melee Attack plus Aura plus Area Effect.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
You want Sense-Based from {GURPS Basic, pg 109} to be able to affect anyone that sees you. This becomes a limitation instead of an enhancement if you also take Malediction. Sense-Based (Reversed) is located in {GURPS Powers, pg 105}, which is what you'd use if you have to see them in order to affect them.

Note that this is a penetration modifier. You'd potentially want a number of other modifiers as well, Aura (and Melee Attack: Reach C), Always On, Area Effect, etc ... depending on the exact behavior you want.

Reflexive does nothing for attacks other than counting as an overpriced version of Reduced Time and so isn't something I'd suggest.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, aura of power, sense-based, visage of power