Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #1
Captain Joy

Default Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
The above link is no longer valid. I've poked around and haven't been able to find this or any quiz that spits out what kind of Law's player type you are. Can anyone help me out?

EDIT: I ended up making my own online questionnaire, last updated 2019 Jan. 21.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 11-12-2020 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Added link to online questionnaire
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #2
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz

You can buy the book. It's quite good. There's no quit in it, though, just descriptions of the 7 player types and advice on how to keep them satisfied.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
You can buy the book. It's quite good. There's no quit in it, though, just descriptions of the 7 player types and advice on how to keep them satisfied.
I recently finished rereading it. I was hoping to have my players take an online quiz.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Maybe Internet Archive/WaybackMachine has it archived?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Maybe Internet Archive/WaybackMachine has it archived?
Indeed. Here it is: https://web.archive.org/web/20140605...ws-game-style/

[EDIT] Unfortunately, while you can take the test, it won't actually give you your results. :(

Last edited by aesir23; 02-12-2015 at 11:38 AM.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Indeed. Here it is: https://web.archive.org/web/20140605...ws-game-style/

[EDIT] Unfortunately, while you can take the test, it won't actually give you your results. :(
Hey, it's more than I had a few minutes ago. Thanks to everybody involved.

Now the task becomes figuring out how those answers translated to results. Somehow, your choices ended up giving you a percentage (between 0 and 100% presumably) for each of Robin's player types. The percentages did not add up to 100%.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:53 PM   #7
whswhs

I just looked the current version and bounced at the very first item:

I always have a good idea what my character needs to do to advance to the next level.

What's a "level"? In GURPS, for example, characters advance point by point, with progress not broken up into "levels"; and what my next advance will be is not determinate. Is that a case of "Definitely Not"? But what if I'm in the process of saving up to buy +1 to DX, for example?

In Call of Cthulhu, "advance" depends on which skills I've succeeded at using; I don't get experience points to spend on skills. That's an even bigger departure.

Maybe this question could be phrased more generally?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:33 PM   #8
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I always have a good idea what my character needs to do to advance to the next level.

Maybe this question could be phrased more generally?
Maybe just putting “next level” in quotes? I think this question used to read, “I always have a good idea what my character needs to do to level up.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:47 PM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Maybe just putting “next level” in quotes? I think this question used to read, “I always have a good idea what my character needs to do to level up.
I'm still kind of unsure about this. Isn't it system-dependent? In D&D, I think you have to kill monsters and loot the bodies or something. In GURPS, you have to engage in dramatically interesting actions, which is a lot less specific. In CofC, you have to attempt skill use and succeed, which is under the control of the dice; about all you can do is attempt a lot of skill use, and especially of skills that are around 50%. I can't have as good an idea in some cases as in others.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:13 AM   #10
Captain Joy

#1 PG vs CG: I always have a good idea what my character needs to do to advance to the next level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm still kind of unsure about this. Isn't it system-dependent? In D&D, I think you have to kill monsters and loot the bodies or something. In GURPS, you have to engage in dramatically interesting actions, which is a lot less specific. In CofC, you have to attempt skill use and succeed, which is under the control of the dice; about all you can do is attempt a lot of skill use, and especially of skills that are around 50%. I can't have as good an idea in some cases as in others.
We want a question that contrasts power gamer tendencies from casual gamer tendencies. Regardless of the system, a power gamer has a plan for making their character more capable. A casual gamer isn’t opposed to improving their character, but it’s not why they play.

I used “next level” terminology hoping it was generic enough that even if the game systems you’re familiar with never use that phrase, you’ll understand the meaning behind it and be able to answer accordingly. If that’s not the case, I should to swap “next level” out for something that’s clear to players of any system.

Tags
gm advice, online aids, player types, quiz, robin's laws