Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #61
dcarson

Default Re: Collaborative Worldbuilding Threads

D6 sentence length does depend on the skill of the writer
Quote:
“Ducks, Newburyport,” the new novel by Lucy Ellmann, recently shortlisted for the Booker Prize, unspools as a 426,100-word sentence
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:49 PM   #62
(E)

What about using the post number that the question has?
If the question is in an even numbered post then 1 sentence and if the question is in an odd numbered post then there is a larger number of sentences available.

Is one sentence too limiting?

As for how a LitRPG setting would look, hmm, I would think two distinct streams of questions. One setting related
Question 1) What Genre?
And one mechanic related
Question A) Is the system Class based?

[Edit]
Only having the two question streams, means that there is no place for the interaction between world and system. The questions that arise like "how does knowing how many hitpoints you have influence medicine in this world?"

Last edited by (E); 10-23-2019 at 06:20 PM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:22 PM   #63
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I think one sentence is sufficient. Either 1d6 sentences or a post number based system will be adequate. Or we could just let the asker of the question specify a number of sentences between 1 and 5.

I'm not that fond of doing a setting where characters know about their stats, but going behind the setting building and assigning statistics and systems sounds like a solid idea.

A simple idea for our topic may be beneficial, perhaps with a good deal of official Gurps support. A "Generic" Fantasy Setting may work well. Making something based on Monster Hunters or perhaps Horror would be interesting to see, and I wouldn't mind seeing an After the End setting.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:59 AM   #64
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
What about using the post number that the question has?
If the question is in an even numbered post then 1 sentence and if the question is in an odd numbered post then there is a larger number of sentences available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I think one sentence is sufficient. Either 1d6 sentences or a post number based system will be adequate.
If we want a semi-random and verifiable number determiner, I was thinking we can take the modulo-6 of the minutes in the timestamp of the previous post. That is, the remainder after dividing by 6. Ericthered's post above is at :22, which is (6x3)+4, so the result is 4.

Going by 1 sentence for even numbered posts would give 50%, which might be a bit overly restricting.

Quote:
Is one sentence too limiting?
Probably a bit strict. 1d+1 then, 2-7 sentences?
We could change to 2d later in the thread when things get going, or drop the length restriction if we wanted.

Note that our habit of making lengthy multi-part questions would probably have to be curtailed as well.

Quote:
A simple idea for our topic may be beneficial, perhaps with a good deal of official Gurps support. A "Generic" Fantasy Setting may work well. Making something based on Monster Hunters or perhaps Horror would be interesting to see, and I wouldn't mind seeing an After the End setting.
We had a shot at Monster Hunters last year, although it only went for 26 posts and it ended up being more low-key pulp adventure than the over-the-top modern day action that GURPS MH does.

Post-apoc could work well with the short answer restriction.

However, I'm not sure GURPS support is that necessary. There hasn't been a lot of reference to official stuff in our other threads, and we don't see anything statted out very often.

Another idea I had for what to try is something espionage related. It could be Mission: Oh-Seven/Bourne Series/Jack Ryan semi-realistic action, or more comic book xXx/Kingsmen action, or even more sobre John Le Carre drama.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!

Last edited by Daigoro; 10-25-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:02 AM   #65
seaweedbrain

I'm confused even after reading the whole thread,but would [Setting] Amboseli with some NPC's fluff be of any use? it's been about four years since I did any work on it.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:21 AM   #66
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweedbrain View Post
I'm confused even after reading the whole thread,
It's probably easier to show than to explain. The recent cyberpunk megacorp thread is probably a good example to see what we're talking about, even though there was a bit of confusion with question numbering at the start.
Quote:
but would [Setting] Amboseli with some NPC's fluff be of any use? it's been about four years since I did any work on it.
Might work if we need a fantasy town, but we often get a bit more engagement if we start building a town or whatever cooperatively from scratch.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:38 AM   #67
seaweedbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
It's probably easier to show than to explain. The recent cyberpunk megacorp thread is probably a good example to see what we're talking about, even though there was a bit of confusion with question numbering at the start.
so,it's world building via Q&A with in a given genre, in the linked thread's case it would be Cyberpunk. (wow i simplified it down to a sentence go me lol), this exercise looks like it would also help with my own creative writing skills.
EDIT:
I hope my addition is okay, I almost went with a pure fusion device but i thought that might be a bit out there.

Last edited by seaweedbrain; 10-24-2019 at 06:56 AM.
seaweedbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #68
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Another idea I had for what to try is something espionage related. It could be Mission: Oh-Seven/Bourne Series/Jack Ryan semi-realistic action, or more comic book xXx/Kingsmen action, or even more sobre John Le Carre drama.
As in creating mysterious government agencies, conspiracies, and so forth? That sounds doable, though I suspect it will be short. Sometimes short isn't bad.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #69
(E)

Some musings regarding an earlier post about Agricultural systems for other races.
If any of these attract anyones interest feel free to comment, even if it is just to question or add to the assumptions I'm making here.*
Elves
Key difference
Longevity, which allows an earlier recognition of inherited characteristics in plants and animals. Better genetics, low level magic prevalent, aversion to arable crops.

Halflings
Key difference
Less efficent labour (an especially low work to food ratio)
Possibly a TL ahead in farming compared to the average.

Nomadic Orcs
Key difference
Protien and fat based diet
High reproduction rate
There is probably quite a bit of setting specific information to work in with the Orcs, given the number of variations they have in fiction.

*though this may merit its own thread to avoid muddying up this one.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:25 AM   #70
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweedbrain View Post
so,it's world building via Q&A with in a given genre, in the linked thread's case it would be Cyberpunk.
Yeah, basically that's it. Some of the other threads have a more clearly and narrowly stated purpose, such as "let's make a DF town" or "let's make a SF setting good for trading."

Quote:
this exercise looks like it would also help with my own creative writing skills.
I find it good to get the imagination going. I've come up with lots of things in these threads that I wouldn't have thought of without that impetus. And whenever you get stuck on something, you can offload it to the group in the form of a question.

Quote:
EDIT:
I hope my addition is okay, I almost went with a pure fusion device but i thought that might be a bit out there.
Yep, that's totally fine! You can add a question of your own as well, but as that thread has petered out I'm not sure if anyone will answer it. However, you might have inspired me to post a couple of half-baked answers I have leftover.

Quote:
As in creating mysterious government agencies, conspiracies, and so forth? That sounds doable, though I suspect it will be short. Sometimes short isn't bad.
Yeah, that kind of thing. The 60's & 70's had a slew of TV shows about non-governmental spy agencies and their sworn enemies- CONTROL and KAOS, UNCLE and THRUSH, the Avengers- that would make good models for a campaign, whether serious or more tongue-in-cheek. We'd be making up agencies, locations, spy gadgets, villains, agents and their bosses, with short adventure hooks and maybe an overarching plot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Some musings regarding an earlier post about Agricultural systems for other races.
If any of these attract anyones interest feel free to comment, even if it is just to question or add to the assumptions I'm making here.*
Cool! I can see any of these being the solid basis for in-depth exploration. The orcs might be interesting. But, I don't think a "1d6 sentence" game would do them justice.

Which begs the question- what theme would work well with a short answer approach?

Some ideas:

1) Horror - A paranormal research university and its background setting (such as Arkham University and the Chthulhu Mythos).

2) Sci-fi - A space station, and its setting.

3) Gang Town - Street gangs and crime organisations in some chosen genre- fantasy, cyberpunk, Grand Theft Auto, urban fantasy, etc.

Any other pitches?

Tags
collaboration, collaborative setting, setting building, worldbuilding