Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
panton41

Default [Zombies/Spaceships] Missile swarm question answered in the oddest place

One of my big questions in GURPS Spaceships is how to deal with shooting down a barrage of missiles. When there's a hundred missile bearing down on your ship and your CIWS has gone into overtime shooting them down you eventually need to know how many out of that swarm survived. Until recently I used a kludge of comparing attack and defense success percentages but Zombies offers a better option.

Page 113 has a table listing "Fraction that Resist/Succumb." Change that to "Fraction that get through/shot down" and you have a nice "quick-and-dirty" table for seeing how many missiles are shot down out of a huge swarm. In fact the whole "dealing with hordes" section could be useful, too.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: [Zombies/Spaceships] Missile swarm question answered in the oddest place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
One of my big questions in GURPS Spaceships is how to deal with shooting down a barrage of missiles. When there's a hundred missile bearing down on your ship and your CIWS has gone into overtime shooting them down you eventually need to know how many out of that swarm survived. Until recently I used a kludge of comparing attack and defense success percentages but Zombies offers a better option.

Page 113 has a table listing "Fraction that Resist/Succumb." Change that to "Fraction that get through/shot down" and you have a nice "quick-and-dirty" table for seeing how many missiles are shot down out of a huge swarm. In fact the whole "dealing with hordes" section could be useful, too.
Yeah, large numbers of attackers vs large numbers of defending attacks is just down to statistics. I think Sir Pudding has been suggesting that as a solution for a while.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote