Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 05-24-2021, 11:26 PM   #1
Airblader

Default Remembrall for non-item cards

We were playing the Harry Potter edition of Munchkin the other night, and in my fight to win the game someone wanted to use "Remembrall" to pick up "Finite" from the discards to force-end my fight.

Remembrall reads "Search the Treasure discards for any card worth 300 Gold or less", Finite is a one-shot treasure card with no printed value, not even "No value", i.e. it's not an item. The question is: how do non-items compare against the gold requirement?

My guess was that this is a misprint, and the card should be restricted to "item" rather than "card". I also argued that you can't just treat cards not having any value the same as "0 Gold", even more so since "No value" cards specifically exist for this already. They ended up ruling against me, and I demand justice! :-)
Airblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:53 PM   #2
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

Default Re: Remembrall for non-item cards

I wouldn't really call it a misprint. It is mostly true that only Items have a Gold Piece value, so it could be more specific, but that's not important here.

I would say that the spells, like Finite! are not eligible for retrieval by Remembrall.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:42 PM   #3
Airblader

Thanks for your reply, Devin! I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in thinking this shouldn't be possible. :-)

Quote:
it could be more specific, but that's not important here.
Given how explicitly the rule book explains the difference between card and item I slightly disagree, of course entirely unbiased by the fact that it changed the outcome of our game. :-)

In fact in our game people used the fact that no card in the game actually has "No value" written on it (we had gone through all treasure cards at this point already) as a reason to believe that "No value" doesn't have to be explicitly written on the card, and that any card without a numeric gold value automatically has a zero gold value. My attempts to explain that the "No value" rule is generic to Munchkin and not this specific edition were unsuccessful. :-(

Quote:
It is mostly true that only Items have a Gold Piece value
Mostly? Isn't "has a value" the literal definition of "item" (FAQ Important Note #5, fifth bullet point)?
Old 05-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #4
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

Because Remembrall says that it requires a value, it doesn't need to specify Item. I understand your friends chose to rule in the other direction, so that can definitely color one's opinion. Were I to write this card, I would certainly specify, if that helps?

Without a Gold Piece value, or the words No Value, a card is distinctly not an Item, unless the card specifically states otherwise. You can rest easy with that.

I said mostly because Munchkin has over 12,000 cards and we've done some... questionable things over the years. There's a Munchkin Zombies Monster that can become a Steed after you beat him. Steeds are classified as Items, but he has no Gold Piece value. So, 99.99999% of the time gets you a mostly from me.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:56 PM   #5
Airblader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Lewis View Post
I understand your friends chose to rule in the other direction, so that can definitely color one's opinion.
Ex-friends. (I'm kidding)

Thanks for your responses and the explanation, Devin, much appreciated!