Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 09-07-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire

Default kudos to SJ Games

My recent dealings with certain Large Mega-Corporations makes me appreciate Steve Jackson Games even more!

I've been having to jump through hoops galore, to get a replacement for a defective game piece, for a recent reprint of a classic game, that was bought up by a large mega-corporation, which in turn was itself bought up by an even larger mega-corporation. (In the interest of fairness and avoiding the appearance of name-calling, I'm not naming this game or the mega-corps.)

It's been a full week of back-and-forth email messages, and they have just now mailed out the replacement piece.

Compare this to my past dealings with SJ Games. Any defects (missing pieces, etc.)? Just call it in, speak to a live human being (!!), and get a replacement mailed out that day (!!).

This is just one of the (many!) reasons I consider Steve Jackson Games to be the gold standard of the gaming industry.

I just thought I'd take this opportunity to let the staff at SJ Games know how much I appreciate them and their consistent professionalism and hard work.

Franklin
fwcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:05 PM   #2
Cpt_Clyde

Default Re: kudos to SJ Games

Want to echo this appreciation for SJgames as I still look back fondly at the time sjgames replaced both of my GURPS 4e core books for free due to faulty binding (pages coming loose) along with WHO KNOWS how many other folks.
Hats off to sjgames. we love you and always will.
Cpt_Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:15 AM   #3
baakyocalder

Awesome customer service since the 1990s is one reason I keep buying the games.

Also, many quality games such as Car Wars and GURPS are made. Munchkin, the big seller, while not my favorite, is also a quality game. And there's a lot of varieties there for the fans and those games look nice on shelves in stores.

And there's not a lot of shenanigans either that we hear about. Running a company the right way: transparent, taking care of their people and profits so they can remain a going concern, listening to stakeholders and setting realistic expectations (if they start handing out awards for clear communication of project problems during a Kickstarter during Covid-19 times, they should just give Phil Reed the statuette and call it a day), and consistently thinking of cool new game ideas to bring to market and the ways to get the games to more people.

Oh, and that Daily Illuminator, still chugging along for more than 25 years! It's old enough to get a rental car at a reasonable rate if they don't see the autoduelling photos. . .

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
baakyocalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:53 AM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Thanks, gang! We're lucky to have so many dedicated and talented creatives and support staff on the team. Threads like this make our day! Thank you.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:20 AM   #5
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

We try! Thanks for letting us know that it's mostly working!
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:48 AM   #6
Alden Loveshade

On the edge of this topic, I remember being at a gaming convention where two game authors were talking and taking questions. They got on the topic of writing for different gaming companies. Their experiences were mixed.

I raised my hand and asked what about writing for Steve Jackson Games? One author nodded his head, and the other said, "If you can write for Steve Jackson Games, do it."

I'm glad I followed their advice.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:34 AM   #7
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
One author nodded his head, and the other said, "If you can write for Steve Jackson Games, do it."
At one point in the 1990s consistent rumour had it that they were pretty much the only RPG company that had never delayed payments to their authors. Certainly that's been true any time they've owed me anything.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:54 AM   #8
thorr-kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
At one point in the 1990s consistent rumour had it that they were pretty much the only RPG company that had never delayed payments to their authors. Certainly that's been true any time they've owed me anything.
I don't write for anybody. But having seen SJG go questing a few times to *find* authors they owe royalties to does give me warm-fuzzy feelings and give another reason for me to buy their products.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:34 AM   #9
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
I couldn’t say if that rumour was true, because after all, I didn’t work for everybody. But there were certainly times when it felt that way.

However, fairness absolutely demands that I say here that I’ve more recently done work for a couple of other companies who’ve been just as impeccable about payments as SJGames. On the basis of my non-statistically-significant experience, standards seem to have risen.

It’s not the ‘90s any more.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:38 AM   #10
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
However, fairness absolutely demands that I say here that I’ve more recently done work for a couple of other companies who’ve been just as impeccable about payments as SJGames. On the basis of my non-statistically-significant experience, standards seem to have risen.

It’s not the ‘90s any more.
Indeed, and same here. (Most of those other companies that were late on payments have now shut down, been absorbed, etc.)
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote