Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #81
JimmyPlenty

Default Re: Show me the magic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
IQ 11 - Push (T)

The wizard summons an unseen force one hex wide with the equivalent of 20 ST. This force can be directed in a straight line any direction against a single target, pushing them 1 hex for every 2 ST used. The caster has complete control over where the target is pushed including into traps, walls, off a cliff, etc. Like Avert, the target can make a saving roll (4 dice against adjDX) to avoid being pushed into a dangerous situation, but only if the ‘push’ is extended for two or more hexes.

Cost: 2 ST per hex (max of 5 hexes)
I like this one. I would like the save to be against ST though. In forced retreat, (according to the Hexagram 4 proposal) the save would be DX, but that is combat and maneuvering. Here, I just visualize a warrior resisting through grit. (Also, just a fan in general to give ST reasons...)
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:59 PM   #82
TippetsTX

I envisioned it more as a save vs being thrown off balance. A ST save makes more sense if you can see the force coming, but I'm fine with either approach.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #83
ZooProfessor

Quote:
This is some good stuff. I'm seeing a pattern, though... clearly, cleric/divine magic plays a significant role in your game.

I'm also thinking that many of these would work well as 'rituals' (i.e. spells that cannot be cast in a single turn).
We only have two spells that can ONLY be cast by those with Priest or Theologian talents, but a bunch of spells that only cost wizard IQ/XP rates even if you are a hero if you are a priest of theologian. Also in our game a character with Priest or Theologian who is a wizard can have ONE weapon at the hero IQ/XP rate.

We were just looking to get some actual game benefits for those talents and to make the game a bit more interesting for religions.

I LOVE the idea of ritual spells though. I am writing a house rules book with the different religions in our game worlds and I think that idea would be excellent.

By the way, I was admiring all your spells today. Some of these will be making it into our grimoire! THANK YOU for sharing!
ZooProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:42 PM   #84
TippetsTX

If you're interested, here's the thread where i presented the idea of 'ritual' spells (which I have since expanded on in my game)...

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=160610
Old 05-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #85
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooProfessor View Post
Here are our current house rules IQ 9 spells:
Weakness (T): Subtracts 2 from victim’s ST for every 1 ST the wizard uses to throw spell. Lasts 3 turns (1 turn if victim’s ST is 30 or more). A figure whose ST is reduced by a Weakness spell can still use weapons currently in hand even if he or she no longer has the ST while “weakened” required for the weapon, however that use is at -2DX. The figure can still wear the armor he or she is currently wearing even if “weakened” to a ST below that normally needed to use it. This is like fatigue for the purpose of damage taken--- you cannot kill a victim with this spell but if it lowers the subjects ST low enough it can cause unconsciousness--- during which time someone might kill him or her.
The 2 point reduction for each ST spent seems rather generous to me. I'd consider reversing them for 1 point penalty for each 2 ST put into the spell.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:32 AM   #86
ZooProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
The 2 point reduction for each ST spent seems rather generous to me. I'd consider reversing them for 1 point penalty for each 2 ST put into the spell.

We wrote Weakness to affect ST in the way that Confusion affects IQ and Clumsiness affects DX. Both of those are written exactly as we wrote Weakness as far as point values are concerned. So we are going to leave this as written, but its a house rule so anyone else can adopt it and change it any way they wish. :)
Old 05-24-2020, 08:54 PM   #87
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooProfessor View Post
We wrote Weakness to affect ST in the way that Confusion affects IQ and Clumsiness affects DX. Both of those are written exactly as we wrote Weakness as far as point values are concerned. So we are going to leave this as written, but its a house rule so anyone else can adopt it and change it any way they wish. :)
Understood. It is worth noting, however, that this spell used in combat situations has a high likelihood incurring a DX penalty on weapon attacks. You are kind of getting a twofer in some situations; not only do you reduce the target's ability to succeed on ST rolls, you may very well also get a major benefit of the Clumsiness spell as well.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:31 PM   #88
ZooProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Understood. It is worth noting, however, that this spell used in combat situations has a high likelihood incurring a DX penalty on weapon attacks. You are kind of getting a twofer in some situations; not only do you reduce the target's ability to succeed on ST rolls, you may very well also get a major benefit of the Clumsiness spell as well.
Rolls against ST happen very seldom in our games. Still, this is certainly worth a conversation between the two people who generally GM our games to make sure this works without unintended consequences. :)
Old 05-26-2020, 08:50 PM   #89
hcobb

Spear of the Monkey
If the steel head of this ordinary looking spear is examined closely an engraving of a monkey will be seen.

It always counts as a magical weapon in attacks and if the user specifically wills this the spear will momentarily extend to jab up to the user's ST in hexes. This jab is conducted with the Missile Weapon range penalties and if the distance jabbed is 8 or more hexes then the spear does +2 damage as if it had been used in a cavalry charge. This special jab ability is only usable by simians (Prootwadles, halflings, humans, hobgoblins, etc.) and not Reptile Men, Gargoyles, or Octopi.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:43 PM   #90
Anomylous

Quote:

<snip>

Casting ‘enlarge’ on a living being has the following effects…
  • Increase to a 2-hex creature and doubles in height and weight (6ft tall becomes 12ft)

<snip>
I hate to be the obnoxious pedant here but... square-cube law? Cast Enlarge enough times and you'd be towing your fighter around like a Thanksgiving Day parade balloon, because he'd be less dense than air.

EDIT: I couldn't resist... I calculated it out. Assuming a 2-meter, 100kg fighter, it would take just 5 castings of the spell before he started floating away. At that point he would be 64 meters (about 210 feet) tall.

Last edited by Anomylous; 06-06-2020 at 12:20 AM.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote