Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-12-2016, 02:32 PM   #11
Phantasm

Default Re: The D&D/d20 Spell Conversion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I'd suggest calling it a Meta-Spell, because it's a bolt of magical energy. I'd also suggest removing the prerequisite, but that may be a matter of personal taste (it's a low-level enough spell in D&D that it seems like the sort of thing that could be cast at Magery 0).
Well, "College of Meta-Spells" and "College of Meta-Magic" are used pretty synonymously on the forums; two names for the same college.

I put the prereq in because of the phrase in Magic that says all spells of that college require it....

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #12
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Well, "College of Meta-Spells" and "College of Meta-Magic" are used pretty synonymously on the forums; two names for the same college.

I put the prereq in because of the phrase in Magic that says all spells of that college require it....
Yeah, but you wrote it as Mega-Magic, so I got confused. It did occur to me that you might have meant 'Meta,' but I wasn't sure, as I don't have all the books or issues of Pyramid.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #13
seycyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
Burning Hands
How do you guys handle a spell like this in regards to damage to an armored target? Say, a target that is wearing leather everywhere? Or a target that has a breastplate and boots, but everything else is cloth?
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #14
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
How do you guys handle a spell like this in regards to damage to an armored target? Say, a target that is wearing leather everywhere? Or a target that has a breastplate and boots, but everything else is cloth?
Area attacks use the average of the subject's best and worst DR - usually 0, barring enchantments and personal Advantages, at low tech levels at least.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #15
VariousRen

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Area attacks use the average of the subject's best and worst DR - usually 0, barring enchantments and personal Advantages, at low tech levels at least.
I believe it's the average of torso DR and worst DR. Since the face (the eyes in particular) are difficult to armour it's almost always torso/2.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:10 PM   #16
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

The useful thing about magic missile, is that you don't need a skill roll to hit. It always hits. So I'd think that such a spell would need something more than a normal missile spell.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:37 AM   #17
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
The useful thing about magic missile, is that you don't need a skill roll to hit. It always hits. So I'd think that such a spell would need something more than a normal missile spell.
Then how are you supposed to pull off a called shot to the gonads with the missile? :)

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:31 AM   #18
GodBeastX

Pretty sure I read somewhere that fireball was already the "Magic Missile".
Old 08-15-2016, 08:33 AM   #19
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Pretty sure I read somewhere that fireball was already the "Magic Missile".
I kinda had Fireball pegged as the "Orb of Fire" spell, from Complete Arcane. (Of course, we all know that Explosive Fireball is the D&D "Fireball".)

Old 08-15-2016, 08:35 AM   #20
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
True Strike

[...]

Your thoughts?
That's an interesting way to do it. But the actual D&D spell gives a bonus to hit. So you could do a version that gives a flat bonus instead. The hard part is making it good enough to be better than taking an Aim/Evaluate maneuver instead.

One option would be to add 1/2 your degree of success on the casting roll to an attack made on your next turn. A mage would need a skill level of 12 to reliably get the same benefit as taking an Aim/Evaluate maneuver. Considering the variability, I'd set the cost at 2 FP.

A second option would be to add some flat bonus based on the FP spent. This is most in character with Magic. 1 FP per +1 to hit (up to a maximum of Magery) sounds about right to me. The problem is that Aim maneuvers are likely to outperform this version, even if we remove the Magery cap.

My biggest problem with this spell as designed is that a mage can't use it to help land his spells. Here's how I'd fix this:

True Strike
Regular
You glimpse into the immediate future, showing you the best possible vector of attack. Your insight gives you a bonus to an attack roll. Taking other maneuvers before your attack doesn't eliminate this bonus if you are maintaining this spell. Once you make an attack, this spell ends regardless of the result of your attack roll.

College: Knowledge
Cost: 1 FP per +1 to your attack roll, up to your Magery (half to maintain)
Duration: 1 second (up to when you attack)
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d&d conversion, gurps magic