Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-08-2019, 05:47 AM   #1
FireHorse

Default 3-Hex Figures vs. 1-Hex Doors…?

Suppose you're an Evil Tyrant, whose favorite entertainment is watching things kill each other in your own personal gladiator pit. But because you're easily bored, you like variety — so it's not always people, or other creatures that fit into only one hex. Sometimes it's bigger stuff.

So how big a doorway do you need for a 3-hex figure?

At the moment my pit has six gates through which combatants may enter the arena, and each one is 6 feet wide and 12 feet tall (LIKE SO). But is that big enough?

If there is an Official Rule for this, I can't find it.

(And on a side note, there are some seriously stupid entries in ITL's index. A single occurrence of a word, in a sentence that really isn't about that word, should not be an index entry.)
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:30 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: 3-Hex Figures vs. 1-Hex Doors…?

That would impose the Narrow Tunnels (ITL 119) combat restrictions on a giant standing in that doorway while a three-hex turtle wouldn't fit.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:14 AM   #3
FireHorse

Thanks for the page citation.

It would appear that I need one or more of the gates to be a bit bigger than the others.

An opening that is two full hexes wide would be enough to allow 3-hex figures to pass through… but perhaps it would be simpler to just go all the way up to megahex-wide gates.

Of course, I don't know how plausible it is that your average Evil Tyrant (who owns a gladiator pit) would have the muscle to capture a 14-hex Dragon and force it to fight… but we might speculate that his well-paid Evil Architect was just being optimistic about the future.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #4
hcobb

If you use my house rules then dragons don't live long in captivity. Either the dragon or the captor will perish.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:56 AM   #5
FireHorse

Well, when you toss something in a gladiator pit, you're not really expecting it to live long and prosper anyway, are you? ;)

Afterthought: How tall do your suppose that 14-hex Dragon is…?

Last edited by FireHorse; 04-08-2019 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Afterthought
Old 04-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
Skarg

The main weird thing about your 2-hex-wide gateway as shown, is that it is placed to span 3 hexes and shows the middle of two hexes with stone in them. It would be more convenient if you placed it so two hexes appear to be free.

But if it didn't, what I tend to do in such cases, is define off-hex positions for figures moving into narrow passages that don't fit the hex grid - i.e. you can use a half-hex if you have another half-hex you can also use.

(Also note hexes are said to be 4 feet wide wide, so a 2-hex doorway is 8 feet wide, not 6 feet, but you might call a 6-foot doorway close enough to 2 hexes wide to count as such.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote