Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #21
Bruno

Default Re: Supernatural Durability With No Weakness

Supernatural Durability (like Injury Tolerance) isn't a defence. It doesn't prevent damage at all - things that affect injury, and things that affect how your character reacts to injury aren't defences. They're just fundamental aspects of your character.

You can't bypass Homogenous (making rocks into squishy organ bearing blobs) without transforming the Homogeneous thing into a squishy thing. You can't bypass Diffuse without making the gas monster non-gasseous. And you can't "ignore" Jason Vorhees status as the "hero" of a slasher film franchise without transforming him from the "hero" into a bit character in a film parody franchise ;)

Similarly, Extra Legs isn't a "defence" against being knocked down by a crippled leg, it just makes being knocked down by a crippled leg harder.

It's the same reason why you can't put Force Field on Supernatural Durability or on Homogeneous.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #22
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
I didn't say it's a useful modifier. I'm just reading out of the rulebook.
Actually I don't think Durability counts as a defense. Or Regeneration for that matter. Neither actually stops damage.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #23
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Actually I don't think Durability counts as a defense. Or Regeneration for that matter. Neither actually stops damage.
Yeah. They affect how damage affects you, but they don't stop any of it from hitting you (reducing HP).

In many ways SD is like having a huge extra reserve of HP (because you can keep going even into deep negatives - well past -10xHP) and massive ridiculous Regeneration (because unless you take 10xHP in one shot, you can see it like that you've "regenerated" back to full HP... sort of). Of course it's not exactly like those things, but it has parallels. And neither of those are a defense, as such.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #24
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Your post still makes no sense. It implies that as it stands, Supernatural Durability without Cosmic doesn't work against Cosmic attacks.
It doesn't, against a hypothetical Cosmic (Ignores SD) modifier.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #25
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Supernatural Durability (like Injury Tolerance) isn't a defence. It doesn't prevent damage at all - things that affect injury, and things that affect how your character reacts to injury aren't defences.
Oh? If confers immunity to Stun. Also, it uses the same categories as Limited Defenses (p.46). I think how a character reacts to injury is assuredly a defense.

Quote:
You can't bypass Homogenous (making rocks into squishy organ bearing blobs) without transforming the Homogeneous thing into a squishy thing. You can't bypass Diffuse without making the gas monster non-gasseous.
You can't ignore the DR of an earth elemental without turning it into Swiss Emmentale. You can't ignore Superman's Damage Reduction without turning him into a bad romantic subplot. Etc.

Quote:
Similarly, Extra Legs isn't a "defence" against being knocked down by a crippled leg, it just makes being knocked down by a crippled leg harder.
Agreed.

Quote:
It's the same reason why you can't put Force Field on Supernatural Durability or on Homogeneous.
You can't? Powers says "The GM may permit it on other Advantages." It doesn't forbid it for SD or Homog.

What about Homogenous, with Area Effect? Defense? What if I use it for a Power Defense?

What if I have Switchable Supernatural Durability with the Divine power modifier?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #26
Anthony

Without a weakness, SD just means you can only be killed by an attack doing HP*10 in one shot. So, buy IT(DR) 100, Cosmic (no minimum damage) [900] and reduce your max HP to 1.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:18 AM   #27
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Without a weakness, SD just means you can only be killed by an attack doing HP*10 in one shot. So, buy IT(DR) 100, Cosmic (no minimum damage) [900] and reduce your max HP to 1.
Expect you would only auto die after 600 pts of damage, and 100 pts of damage wouldn't even give a death check.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:40 AM   #28
gjc8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
And you can't "ignore" Jason Vorhees status as the "hero" of a slasher film franchise without transforming him from the "hero" into a bit character in a film parody franchise ;)
Which just means that it's out of genre. But PCs with Supernatural Durability are out of genre for slasher horror, too. Should Supernatural Durability include a note which says it's not for PCs? Of course not. Not to mention the availability of things like Affliction: Negated Advantage.

Cosmic: Always acts as an Achilles Heel for Supernatural Durability or Unkillable is a perfectly reasonably modifier (to go an the attacks of an avatar of the god of death, or something).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3
In many ways SD is like having a huge extra reserve of HP (because you can keep going even into deep negatives - well past -10xHP) and massive ridiculous Regeneration (because unless you take 10xHP in one shot, you can see it like that you've "regenerated" back to full HP... sort of). Of course it's not exactly like those things, but it has parallels. And neither of those are a defense, as such.
In many ways, Supernatural Durability is like having a bunch of DR and low HP, because you ignore most of the effects of attacks except really large ones. Of course it's not exactly like this, but it has parallels (different ones than your example, like the fact that it can't be overwhelmed by multiple attacks in rapid succession).

Of course, it's not really like any of these things, which is why it's a separate advantage.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #29
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
I'm just saying that no existing application of Cosmic of which I am aware does what you ask.

IIRC one of the specific uses of Cosmic is to exempt the Advantage from a given inherent rule. I don't have a page number available just at the moment though.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #30
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
IIRC one of the specific uses of Cosmic is to exempt the Advantage from a given inherent rule. I don't have a page number available just at the moment though.
It's p.103, and as I noted before, the name of that section is: "Ability other than an attck or defense."

Tags
cosmic, supernatural durability, weakness