Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 12-10-2021, 10:22 AM   #1
thestor

Default Warehouse 23 PDF Copy Protection

Dear team of Warehouse 23 / SJGames,

reading on Warehouse 23 indicates that the Digital Books there are in fact PDF without copy protection, is this true or did I misread?

Just a note so far, I have avoided ebooks and the like with copy protection, not sure how do install it on my Tolino-reader and also worried that the service used for copy protection goes down, taking my ebooks with it.

Thank you, and apologies if this is not the proper channel to ask this.
thestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
Blind Mapmaker

Default Re: Warehouse 23 PDF Copy Protection

In my experience as a customer there is zero DRM on any of the Steve Jackson Games pdfs or any of the ones from other companies sold on Warehouse 23.

I'm not 100% sure about the software. I haven't opened GURPS Character Assistant in ages. It might have some sort of registration, but even then you're probably all right if you keep your e-mail address.

It's one of the big reasons I'm trying to buy everything I can get here.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
Refplace

Yeah the PDFs are readable without eyestrain trying to work around cheesy old school watermarks or special software and the company relies on the honor system in not passing the material around. Also fans to report illegal sharing schemes.
ANd buying on W23 means if you lose the file for any reason, such as computer issues you can just download it again. I love that and that my kickstarter stuff eventually migrates to W23.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:28 PM   #4
baakyocalder

I'm not a staff member, but I would concur with the other posters about the lack of digital rights management or other tricks to make the PDFs harder to access. Even Excel files for some GURPS supplements like a Pyramid issue with a lot of archery rules and ways to make bows in Excel had only the locks on Excel put in for safety.

And I didn't have my GURPS books and one day my friend and the rest of us bachelors hanging out around a wedding decided to play some silly GURPS and i just logged onto Warehouse 23, downloaded Dungeon Fantasy and ran a game.

And the GURPS PDF offerings on Kickstarter have all been delivered through its methods, then placed on Warehouse 23 and backers updated when Warehouse 23 accounts were all ready with the material (not a fast process as it's not fully automated).

Steve Jackson Games has been selling PDFs for itself and other companies for over a decade. They give you good games, send updates to your account email when there's an update so you can download the new version and make it so you can always have your games you bought. And they decided to make a lot of cool stuff for their games in PDF and add back catalog items that were in print in PDF.

To make that long story short, if you like the content of a product, Warehouse 23 lets you keep enjoying it for years without hassle.

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
baakyocalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #5
Prime Evil

SJ Games has a long history of being customer-centric. It also has a long history of involvement with groups like the Electronic Frontiers Foundation (EFF). And the company has had a generous position on fan material based upon their IP. SJ Games don't lock or watermark the PDFs they sell. The least we can do in return is respect their intellectual property rights. Always report illegal PDF sharing. SJ Games is a small company in the big scheme of things. Games like GURPS and TFT run on paper-thin margins. If you love these games, support their long-term profitability by doing the right thing.
Prime Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:38 AM   #6
wen7465

Yeah, didn't encounter any DRM protection on their eBooks. Have been using them for a few months.
wen7465 is offline   Reply With Quote