Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-17-2022, 12:47 PM   #1
Bill_in_IN

Default Unarmed Combat Talents -- Questions about their application

My first question is very general. The results of the discussion will guide subsequent questions.

with the exception of UC I, UC II through UC V separately calls out Punch, Kick, Throw, and Evade options. Are these options all simultaneously active per having these talents? More specifically, do the Evade bonuses apply automatically or does the holder of the talent have to actively evade and do nothing else that turn?

In my past play in ancient times, these options within the talents were interpreted as being active at all times as long as it met with the proper encounter sequence. It made up the difference for not being able to be heavily armored or dealing out larger amounts of damage. Is this correct in the new ITL?
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:58 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Unarmed Combat Talents -- Questions about their application

I've taken "Evade" and "Bonus to defend" as passive advantages that are active at all times, including with a full MA move. Note that these only apply to front hexes so offer no benefit to fallen or HTH figures.

Note that both of these "options" include a "If you take the Defend option" at higher levels for additional benefits above the base bonus.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:05 PM   #3
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
I've taken "Evade" and "Bonus to defend" as passive advantages that are active at all times, including with a full MA move. Note that these only apply to front hexes so offer no benefit to fallen or HTH figures.

Note that both of these "options" include a "If you take the Defend option" at higher levels for additional benefits above the base bonus.
So, the prior application from my ancient times still applies. I thought that I had interpreted it properly.

Next Question.

The UC Talents state that these abilities are active if one is not wearing more armor than cloth and hands are empty. It would seem that a cestus or knife would be an exception to that. Is that true?
Old 01-17-2022, 01:15 PM   #4
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
The UC Talents state that these abilities are active if one is not wearing more armor than cloth and hands are empty. It would seem that a cestus or knife would be an exception to that. Is that true?
Can't do that for fear of wicked witches stacking defensive buffs, now that mages can buy as many talents as their XP will afford.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:00 PM   #5
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Can't do that for fear of wicked witches stacking defensive buffs, now that mages can buy as many talents as their XP will afford.
A cestus is an offensive enhancement. I know martial artists that practice selat (spelling) which is knife related. I could see bulky weapons not being allowed.

I need to go back and study ITL some more. UC can be complicated.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:22 PM   #6
hcobb

If you want a Cestus master then learn the Cestus Mastery talent.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:52 PM   #7
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
So, the prior application from my ancient times still applies. I thought that I had interpreted it properly.

Next Question.

I'd say a knife is not an exception. I'd also say that the rules don't allow a cestus either, but of course a GM could rule however he likes.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote