Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-10-2022, 10:37 PM   #1
JohnPaulB

Default TFT "Legends"

My comments on "older" materials.

Star Wars had many books published before Disney took over. Disney then decided to tidy up the disorganized and somewhat conflicting previous materials and put out their “official” History. (and it also allowed them to ignore storylines they didn't like.)
In order to keep those previous books from going into the dungheap, Disney now considers them “Legends”. Some people may know them, but they are not official canon.

The Fantasy Trip has its own “official” history: The TFT items that have been republished since 2018. Some materials published before that were brought into the “official” fold by publishing TFT Companion. These include anything sold on the Warehouse 23 website.

Those items that are outside of what Steve was able to bring back might be considered as TFT “Legends.”
These would be things sponsored by Metagaming like:
OrbQuest, Security Station, Silver Dragon, Unicorn Gold, The Land Beyond the Mountains: Darok & Dihad.
Also articles published in magazines like Interplay, Vindicator and the like. Even earlier articles in The SpaceGamer.
And finally, there are all the fan contributions in fan websites throughout the net.

These "Legends" can be mined for data or even played. And even if they are not canon, they are unofficial tales that arose around Cidri locations, peoples and events.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 01:21 AM   #2
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: TFT "Legends"

Ah, when I saw the subject line I thought you were going to bring up that other "Legends", the unofficial TFT rulebook of the same name floated by Dark City Games after Metagaming evaporated. Essentially a booklet of house rules, it too might qualify for this category of TFT "Legends".

I hadn't thought about that in a long time, but I see the free PDF doesn't appear to be offered anymore at Dark City's website. No surprise there -- with TFT's copyright back in force they might be on thin ice if they kept it available.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:47 AM   #3
madhopper50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
Ah, when I saw the subject line I thought you were going to bring up that other "Legends", the unofficial TFT rulebook of the same name floated by Dark City Games after Metagaming evaporated. Essentially a booklet of house rules, it too might qualify for this category of TFT "Legends".

I hadn't thought about that in a long time, but I see the free PDF doesn't appear to be offered anymore at Dark City's website. No surprise there -- with TFT's copyright back in force they might be on thin ice if they kept it available.
They still have a free 4-page LAW rules PDF and a 2-page Adventure Starter PDF on their website. I still have the 8-page PDF LAW 2019 rules.
madhopper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 12:39 AM   #4
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhopper50 View Post
They still have a free 4-page LAW rules PDF and a 2-page Adventure Starter PDF on their website. I still have the 8-page PDF LAW 2019 rules.
And I still have the 8-page 2013 edition as well. I remembered it as longer, but only because they really compressed so many rules and topics into only 8 pages! Commendable how they worded so much differently, but it basically comes down to the same game as TFT. I see they have even more adventures now than they used to, and they'd probably all work fairly well under Legacy rules although I've never given them a try.

I always wanted to see a compact, single book starter edition of official TFT, and this would serve as a model. Something like Melee+Wizard+Talents. Not enough for GMs, but that's almost everything a new player actually needs.