Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #11
KarlKost

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#39): Daredevil, Luck, Super Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
I personally never use Luck.

I never put it on any characters I played because it was on my GM's list of traits forbidden for being too cinematic, and I wouldn't really have wanted it anyway. I don't want to be looking at a clock and waiting for the cooldown on a trait like this.

X uses per session or X uses per in-game whenever would be preferable for me even if it was less even in distribution - especially then, actually, because luck tends to come in streaks. I still wouldn't take it much and usually hoard my lucky breaks for defensive use.

I did make it a mandatory trait on some character templates I made a few years ago because of constantly reading how "Luck is mandatory on action heroes" on this very forum. I don't really feel it.

I would use it in a heartbeat years before I'd permanently expend points for success though.
Power have a +0% "enhancement" that turns "real time" into "game time". If Im not mistake (books away ATM), 1/hour in real time becomes 1/day of game time.

I don't ever use the real time when I GM, I only allow those with game time, too much book keeping
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #12
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Let's not forget that GURPS Supers suggests Daredevil can be taken as a leveled advantage, also.

I've not seen much of any of these, but I'm definitely a fan of Luck as a concept. I also like the idea from Power-Ups 5 regarding Luck. But I have finding myself gravitating toward impulse buys in general.
Yep, I just replaced all those advantages for "Impulse Points", 15 CP/lvl, each level gives 1 IP to buy success or player guidence... I found that this is more manageable
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
I don't want to be looking at a clock and waiting for the cooldown on a trait like this.
The one time I had a character with Luck, multiple Lucks in fact (Ridiculous Luck x2 and Super Luck) having to time things was a bit... annoying.

In my games I just give the Players a pool to draw from. They get as many uses as they'd get over the course of the session (so for a 4 hour game, they get 4 uses of Luck).

But I also give out Impulse Points so they've gotten used to having a few different pools to spend from for "OH NOES!" moments.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:52 PM   #14
whswhs

I've built one character with Daredevil. She was a low-end speedster, with DX 19, Basic Speed 12, Enhanced Time Sense, and Extra Attack 1, and I gave her Daredevil because it seemed to fit her personality. Putting everything together, she had Dodge-16 when she was doing anything reckless, which was not infrequent.

I've never built a character with Luck, and I tend to discourage players from taking it; I don't like the design. Though it's a little less bad with the Game Time modifier.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #15
EarthStone

My campaigns are so Role-play heavy, some nights with so few dice rolls and infrequent combat (often going many sessions without any combat) that when a player wanted Luck, I let them buy it for the full 15 points with the provision that it only worked regularly (once an hour) during combat. For non-combat situations it was only once per night. It was still powerful enough that not one player thought it unfair that the cost wasn't reduced.

... and frankly, I don't think I'd want to play in a game (or run one) with more luck than that. There is so much flavor and drama that is added by failure. As much or more has been added to the campaign though the failure of the players as has been created by their successes.
EarthStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #16
Leynok

I tend to take Luck often. Either because I've already got the basics of my Character concept done and have the points left for it, or just because I want it. From what I've seen, it encourages doing things that are less likely to work, and it feels great when those risks work out even without needing to Luck at all.

Super Luck... Never used it, had very few opportunities to use it. Even if I did, I question if it's worth 100 points. I mean sure, naming the result (which is usually just 3 or 18, depending on if you're using it on yourself or the enemy) is great, but is it really 100 points great? I feel like I would just be much more competent spending those 100 points on other things; and if it was important to be lucky from the character concept, I would probably just get the 60 point version of Luck and pocket the extra 40 for other things. In fact, I think the only time I've seen another player in my group take it, he was specifically going for the "lucky newbie" kind of build, and avoided spending many points into actual skills or attributes.

Daredevil I think my group forgets exist most of the time. Not really sure, probably because the few times it was taken, it never got much use.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:44 AM   #17
EarthStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Best combo for Daredevil would be Extreme Klutz.

All failures become critical failures...
Reroll all critical failures in high.risk situations...
= reroll all failures in high risk situations.
Otherwise known as the Mr. Magoo strategy.
EarthStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:50 AM   #18
Leynok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Best combo for Daredevil would be Extreme Klutz.

All failures become critical failures...
Reroll all critical failures in high.risk situations...
= reroll all failures in high risk situations.

So long as.you get a roll to begin with (need effective skill of 3 unless a defense) you are set!

It could take a long time to resolve if you have low skill though. Might be easier to calculate odds of success v crit success and just roll to see which you got.

Ultimate would be skill 3 since then the only success could be a critical one. So just take automatic critical successes for everything.
Well, if I were GMing in that scenario, I would probably only let the player reroll anything that would have been a critical failure if they lacked Total Klutz. I assume most GM's would rule something similar (maybe giving the player at most 1 reroll).
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:07 AM   #19
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Sigh, not this again . . .

Here, a couple of quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Also, Daredevil states that you get to reroll a critical failure. It doesn't say that you get to keep rerolling it, over and over, until you get something better. On its own, "reroll" means you get one new shot at a better result -- not infinite shots!

If you do something stupid crazy and get an 18, reroll it. If you get another 18, that just means the Gaming Gods want you to fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Officially:

1. Below skill 3, you don't get a roll – never mind a reroll – except on an active defense roll. That's spelled out on p. B345.

2. You get one reroll. Yes, you could read the instructions as a pure logical statement devoid of connotation, but no rule is written that way.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:28 AM   #20
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Sigh, not this again . . .

Here, a couple of quotes:
Presumably Hellboy has never bought a bottle of shampoo that said "lather, rinse, repeat" or he would have died in the shower... :o)

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, daredevil, luck, super luck, [basic]