Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
Dalillama

Default Keeping your heart in an egg

I'm trying to update some of the templates from 3e Blood Types, using Powers to build the innate spells, and I'm having some trouble with Soul Jar. The major reason for this to appear on templates is because the vampires mythically can put their essence somewhere other than a body, and later reclaim a new body if the old one is destroyed, via Posession or the like. It occurs to me, thought, that there's a bunch of traits that would be covered by a similar type of theing: D&D liches and their phylacteries, various mythical villains who keep their life hidden elsewhere, but if that item is destroyed, they die, etc. Would that be Unkillable with Gadget and other appropriate limitations?
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Keeping your heart in an egg

Yes, its an Unkillable Gadget that can't be stolen but can be destroyed.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
Dalillama

What limitation would you take to represent a case where if is is destroyed, you die immediately, regardless of your current state?
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
Miles

Honestly, I had a complicated an jury-rigged solution based on Dependency, but the easiest solution would be to say that the soul jar counts as the wizard's vitals. If your enemies find it unattended they can start making attacks to your vitals that you can't defend against. That, and the fact that your enemies can cast spells on you at close-range, should each qualify as a -5% limitation on Unkillable, -10% total.

Note that destroying DnD phylacteries, GURPS soul jars, and similar tabletop McGuffins won't typically kill their owners, simply render them killable. Bypassing an impossible fight is good for fairy-tales but makes for unexciting gaming.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
What limitation would you take to represent a case where if is is destroyed, you die immediately, regardless of your current state?
Terminally Ill: Mitigator is keeping your heart intact.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:25 AM   #6
Nereidalbel

This would be the Soul Stone spell. How you get a new body if your current one is destroyed is a character/world building decision, but destruction of your soul stone instantly kills you. Better keep that thing safe!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Dammann

This doesn't answer the "destroy the phylactery, kill the lich" issue, but Pyramid 3-50 page 15 has a box regarding Soul Jars as advantages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid 3-50
Unkillable 3 (Gadget: Breakable, DR 2, can't be repaired, -35%; Not generally carried with him, so it can't be targeted in combat or stolen from his person; Trigger, Possessable Victim within spell-casting range, -5%; Magical, -10%) [75]
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Honestly, I had a complicated an jury-rigged solution based on Dependency...
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Terminally Ill: Mitigator is keeping your heart intact.
I've used Dependency (Intact Heart; Rare, Constantly) in the past, modified with Reduced Time to reduce the damage rate to instantaneous (or 1-sec).
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
I've used Dependency (Intact Heart; Rare, Constantly) in the past, modified with Reduced Time to reduce the damage rate to instantaneous (or 1-sec).
Having your heart remain intact should be "Common" not "Rare" since it places no restrictions on you at all.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Having your heart remain intact should be "Common" not "Rare" since it places no restrictions on you at all.
I went with Rare because there's only one and it doesn't have to be with you. If it's destroyed, you're done.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversions, injury tolerance, soul jar, spells as powers