Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #41
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: WWII + Supers = ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by christ0pher View Post
So, this campaign played through 1933 and into 1934. It then went on hiatus while we bounced around one-shots and an ongoing fantasy campaign until we started a secret magic in the modern day campaign that has turned into an Infinite Worlds adventure. The PC's new mage characters have now met their old Age of Gold characters in 1941, 7 years older and a bit more experienced than when they last saw them.
So, since you're starting with Age of Gold, the existence of magic and the presence of magicians and of magically empowered individuals is no secret at all. What sort of numbers of magicians and empowered individuals are there on each side of the war?

Presumably the PCs can get some official status via the old characters? Mysterious freelancers would trouble any command structure, and staying totally concealed from the side you're living amongst would be hard work. Will the PCs have public identities, or will they stay mysterious to most people?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #42
whswhs

Quote:
The PC's will top out at around 1000 points once they get their enchanted gear.(stuff like the Bracers of Wonder, a Power Ring, the Helm of Fate, maybe a Rod of Gravity)
When I ran Mage: The Ascension, in a campaign set in Hong Kong, I had the PCs uncover records and legends of a group of awakened mages who fought the Japanese in World War II. Eventually they tracked down five artifacts they had hidden in Hong Kong: A pair of wristbands that granted enhanced speed and the ability to block projectiles; a lantern whose light had various mystical powers; a gun that fired a sleep-inducing gas; a blonde wig that enabled the wearer to take on a different appearance; and a stone that could summon a mysterious Taoist spirit.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #43
christ0pher

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
So, since you're starting with Age of Gold, the existence of magic and the presence of magicians and of magically empowered individuals is no secret at all. What sort of numbers of magicians and empowered individuals are there on each side of the war?
I think I'm going to take a cue from the IST source material and go with around 50-100 individuals show up, publicly, on all sides during the war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Presumably the PCs can get some official status via the old characters? Mysterious freelancers would trouble any command structure, and staying totally concealed from the side you're living amongst would be hard work. Will the PCs have public identities, or will they stay mysterious to most people?
One of the original characters actually started play being Zeroed, he masqueraded as I wealthy Nigerian Prince, so there's a good chance they will be able to obtain cover ID's while they're on the Age of Gold parallel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
When I ran Mage: The Ascension, in a campaign set in Hong Kong, I had the PCs uncover records and legends of a group of awakened mages who fought the Japanese in World War II. Eventually they tracked down five artifacts they had hidden in Hong Kong: A pair of wristbands that granted enhanced speed and the ability to block projectiles; a lantern whose light had various mystical powers; a gun that fired a sleep-inducing gas; a blonde wig that enabled the wearer to take on a different appearance; and a stone that could summon a mysterious Taoist spirit.
That's awesome.

christ0pher
You reach out to push the orc off the ledge.
[Dice roll. Critical Failure!]
But instead, lightly caress his back.
The orc is uncomfortable.
christ0pher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #44
David Johnston2

Quote:

One of the original characters actually started play being Zeroed, he masqueraded as I wealthy Nigerian Prince, so there's a good chance they will be able to obtain cover ID's while they're on the Age of Gold parallel.
And as always, I remind everyone that Zeroed is an ongoing thing. Any records of you will disappear as soon they are no longer convenient for the character if not sooner..
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:38 PM   #45
Curmudgeon

Something that got missed in the 2005 posts was the effects of sex on the employment of supers. Germany, to use one example, did not use women in combat roles while the USSR did. Assuming a similar policy regarding supers, Germany effectively tosses half of its available military grade supers away and the USSR does not.

Similar arguments arise regarding supers age. If eighty-year-old and fourteen-year-old supers are welcome to fight that's going to translate into a greater proportion of supers than a nation with a more restricted service age.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:41 PM   #46
(E)

Its not all combat either, how fast could a metal moving super put together a battleship?
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:44 PM   #47
whswhs

Another question I've thought about is that of industrial and logistic supers. What if you have no combat powers, but you can do synthetic chemistry by the power of your will, or teleport large masses over long distances, or perform economic calculation in your unaided brain and make a centrally planned war economy work?

Old 04-19-2016, 11:05 PM   #48
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Another question I've thought about is that of industrial and logistic supers. What if you have no combat powers, but you can do synthetic chemistry by the power of your will, or teleport large masses over long distances, or perform economic calculation in your unaided brain and make a centrally planned war economy work?
Another aspect, Cryptography, put a mega mind behind Bletchly or enigma for that matter.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:15 PM   #49
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Another aspect, Cryptography, put a mega mind behind Bletchly or enigma for that matter.
Sure. Or have a super with para-radar abilities directing British aircraft at repelling German attacks. There's lots of stuff you could do with command and intelligence.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:24 PM   #50
LemmingLord

In my opinion, the impact of supers on ww2 would be determined by three main factors: 1) when did supers appear-long before the war, during buildup for war or during the war 2) what are high powered rogue supers doing and 3) how well does each government's military use their superhuman resources.

If supers have been around a long while and world war 2 starts with the governments in very similiar positions as the real world, i'd say that countermeasures and tacts have been devised that make the war turnout about the same....

BUT i take that back. If powers are distributed 1/1000 then the Allies, especially russia and china, are going to have a huge advantage earlier.

Tags
wwii