Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-26-2020, 08:24 AM   #21
Tessen

Default Re: WW2 What are you going to be and do?

Anywhere you're put in history obviously has the distinct possibility of changing the future by a degree.
Tessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #22
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessen View Post
Anywhere you're put in history obviously has the distinct possibility of changing the future by a degree.

I suppose the rules of time matter a lot in this situation. Different time travel settings and stories have very different rules. The infinite worlds book discusses different types of time travel results on pages 154 through 156. options the book mentions include:
  • plastic time
  • chaotic time
  • high resistance plastic time
  • paradox-proof time
  • new timelines
  • parrellel worlds
Which model of time I'm working with changes my decisions about this three day trip a lot. If I'm working with parrellel worlds, killing stalin at an opportune moment or doing the physics write-up looks like a strong option. If its paradox proof time or high resistance plastic time, being an extra cook in a tough but non-deadly situation may be a better way to make use of my time. Or perhaps visiting a mysterious or momentous historical event.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:55 AM   #23
Michele

I think I'd go to Belgrade on April 4, in time for making plans for breaking and entering the national library on the night of April 5. Security measures will very probably be lax, in the chaos that reigned at the time, and anyway, who wants to steal books at such a time?

So on the night of April 5 I'd steal the most valuable ancient manuscripts. By early morning I'd be out of town, so as to avoid the bombing raids.

The national library goes up in flames as per history - I have not stolen anything that will be missed, actually I have saved a priceless cultural treasure.

After I come back to my time, I will accidentally "discover" a forgotten trunk in a cellar anywhere in Europe. I can age the manuscripts somewhat, smoke them so that one might believe they were somehow miraculously saved during the fire, then hidden for all these decades.
I'll enter negotiations with the Serbian government for a hefty finder's fee.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:15 AM   #24
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
For three days during WWII?
I guess I'd try something I'd be unlikely to do otherwise -- be the Lama of a Tibetan monastery.
You know there was an American emissary sent to Tibet manned by the OSS? Apparently it was felt that normal State Department people couldn't handle the trip. I forget what came of it, other than that it was an interesting yarn.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #25
Tessen

OSS (Maybe Delta Green) in Tibet!. Did he end up in Leng?.
Tessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:24 AM   #26
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessen View Post
OSS (Maybe Delta Green) in Tibet!. Did he end up in Leng?.
I found a passage about it in a book I have about the OSS. There were a few colorful exchanges of gifts including a fine crafted watch: the sort of potlatching heads of state have done for thousands of years. Oh yes and the first radio set that had ever been seen in the region.

As far as I can make out, not much came of the issue. It was mostly because FDR wished for some ally besides Chaing, and the ChiComs were not an an option. I forget what it was all about, likely looking for a new supply route.

At that there was a side issue of suspicion from the Nationalists some of whom felt obscure irredentism more important than removing bloodthirsty Japanese.

Last edited by jason taylor; 11-02-2020 at 10:27 AM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #27
jason taylor

Oh, here's a job I'd love. Shore staff on the Shetland Bus. That was the use of Norweigian fishers to do insertion and extraction for the Resistance.

Another interesting and similar one was supplying the Greek resistance with Aegean Caiques (fishing boats again). This also has some chance of meeting interesting people as there were several local archeologists and other Old Balkan and Levantine Hands that were fascinating NPCs involved in this. Plus in off hours you get to party in neutral Istanbul. Well maybe not, but the thought adds to the "coolitude" of it.

Tags
wwii