Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-08-2024, 06:58 AM   #191
Nose66

Default Re: Playing GURPS with the help of FoundryVTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnarBK View Post
1. The weapon master advantage does not seem to add +2 damage per die, is it possible to do.
Depending on the character creation tool you are using (GCA/GCS), it "should" be adding this to the weapon damage.
The GGA does not interpret the character sheet.

Quote:
2. I'm using a homebrew rule where the defender takes a penalty equal to half the skill modifier of the attacker to make high skill more valuable than just high DX, is it possible to show the skill modifier next to the skill on the character sheet
Yes! You can double click the skill to open an editor, or (and better yet), you can add this to the Notes (or VttNotes) field in your character creation tool:

[-2 Defense Penalty due to high skill]

This is an "On-the-Fly" formula (note the square brackets [] ). The GGA supports a LOT of OtFs... see the Users Guide for more information: https://bit.ly/2JaSlQd

Quote:
3. Spells that temporarily raise stats or skills, changing these number in foundry does not seem to calculate damage or update skill level properly, whats the best way to deal with this
Unfortunately, the 0.16.* version of the GGA does not interpret character changes. The 1.0 version, however, will be able to automatically calculate changes in skills and damage based on stat changes.
In the 0.16.* version, the best way to handle this is to create a series of OtFs that the player (or GM) can add to the modifier bucket.
For example: [+1 damage due to buff spell] [+2 skill due to enhancement], etc.

Quote:
4. I'm using the optional rule to turn +4 or more damage into extra dice, is that possible to do?
You could add an OtF in the weapon notes to indicate the new damage. To convert 2d+5 cut, you could enter the OtF [3d+1 cut], and when you click on it, it will roll 3d+1 cutting damage.

Quote:
Hope someone can answer these, otherwise I'll manage.
Excellent add on to foundry by the way.
I hope that helps, and don't forget to join the Foundry VTT channel on the (unofficial) GURPS Discord: https://discord.gg/6xJBcYWyED

Last edited by Nose66; 01-11-2024 at 06:32 AM.
Nose66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 04:25 AM   #192
GunnarBK

Wow, that was fast :)
Thanks, now I´m ready to take my RPG experience to the next level.
GunnarBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 06:32 AM   #193
Nose66

Quote:
Wow, that was fast :)
Thanks, now I´m ready to take my RPG experience to the next level.
We aim to please ;-) And good luck!
Nose66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 11:57 AM   #194
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose66 View Post
You could add an OtF in the weapon notes to indicate the new damage. To convert 2d+5 cut, you could enter the OtF [3d+1 cut], and when you click on it, it will roll 3d+1 cutting damage.
GCA and GCS can do this if you set them to do so, automatically making the change so when the character sheet is imported into GGA it will show correctly.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 08:39 AM   #195
Anaraxes

Not strictly a GGA question or even unique to GURPS, but probably one that comes up with GURPS more than most other systems thanks to its setting flexibility:

Are there any good tools for quickly creating subsets of Foundry compendiums?

To illustrate my notion of "good" for this task, I have a few equipment packs for Foundry, but I'd like to tailor them for easy selection in a particular game. Just "TL 6" stuff (in GURPS terms) rather than everything modern ("TL 6-8"), for instance, or to cut down long lists of every firearm ever produced to the basic types most common or iconic of a setting. This tool ideally would allow searching the compendium to select a group of items to be easily deleted (by TL, for instance, or other fields of equipment description, as well as free-form string matches), so they could all be deleted with a single keystroke. The ideal tool would also be capable of following the links in an equipment entry to delete the related sub-components as well. For example, the actual journal entry for an item has a pathname to an image. Just deleting the JSON record alone leaves the image behind. It would be good to take out the supporting files for a particular item, not just the top-level record.

So, is there an easier and less error-prone way to do bulk trimming of pre-built collections than one-by-one with the Foundry interface, or just hacking away at the JSON file, manually interpreting other links for deletion, while trying to find each record and keep all the brackets balanced so I don't just break the whole file with a careless error?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 11:14 AM   #196
nick_coffin

Edit: lol, Nose beat me to it by quite a margin. I'll leave my reply as is since it gives more information.

Quote:
Hi, I just started using the foundry vtt for my gurps games and was hoping someone could answer a few questions.
I'm one of the authors of the GURPS Game Aid for Foundry; I'll do my best! Some background: the current version of GGA actually does not do any character sheet calculations. So adding Weapon Master directly in Foundry doesn't do anything to adjust damage nor would adding a point of DX recalculate DX-based skills or Basic Speed, etc.

The philosophy was that those calculations are super complex in GURPS because of all the permutations and limitations and enhancements, and there are dozens of alternative subsystems (for example, damage progression) and there already exist two great resources that do those calculations: the official GURPS Character Assistant (GCA) and the free GURPS Character Sheet (GCS -- and my favorite character builder).

Our assumption is that you're going to treat the character sheet in Foundry like a fillable PDF that does no calculations, but if you need those calculations you download one of those programs and create/edit your character there and import it into Foundry.

Having said that, we've since gotten permission from Rich, the author of GCS, to use his code in Foundry. So there is a new version (code-named GCSGA) in development that has all the GCS logic built in. GCSGA is currently in public alpha in order get feedback; but it is not really ready for a full-fledged campaign. There is no schedule or plan for the first GA release because all three of us have full-time day jobs and families and GCSGA is not our only priority. When GCSGA comes out, most if not all of what you need will be handled transparently.

Until then, most of your problems can be fixed by editing the character in either GCA or GCS and re-importing into Foundry.

Having said that, there are workarounds to the current GGA to help you with these specific problems.

Quote:
1. The weapon master advantage does not seem to add +2 damage per die, is it possible to do.
You'll have to edit the individual attacks Weapon Master affects and update the damage to match the new damage. Double-click the attack and update the damage dice formula.

You can also add an OTF in the attack notes to add the bonus to damage; you'd click that OTF button and then click the damage.

How to: Double click an attack on the character sheet you want to modify. In the Notes field add something like this:
Code:
["+2 per die of damage (Weapon Master)" +6 damage]
Click the "Update" button to save and close the edit dialog. You should now see an orange button on the attack with the text "+2 per die of damage (Weapon Master)". Clicking this button will put +6 in the modifier bucket which will be applied to the next die roll. The player would click the OTF button and then his damage.

Quote:
2. I'm using a homebrew rule where the defender takes a penalty equal to half the skill modifier of the attacker to make high skill more valuable than just high DX, is it possible to show the skill modifier next to the skill on the character sheet
You can use the technique described above to add this penalty to either the skill or the attack.

How-To: To add just text, double-click on the attack or skill and add whatever text you want to the Notes section. Or you can turn this into an OTF button with the following text:
Code:
[-2 to defend]

The player can send this modifier to the chat window by Ctrl-clicking. This brings up a dialog that asks the player if he wants to "Send to Everyone" or to copy to the chat edit window. So, if the player hits, he can send the modifier to the chat, and the defender can click that chat button to add the penalty to his modifier bucket and then make his defense roll with that modifier applied.

Quote:
3. Spells that temporarily raise stats or skills, changing these number in foundry does not seem to calculate damage or update skill level properly, whats the best way to deal with this
As stated previously, what a lot of players do is to modify their stat in GCA or GCS and then re-import it. Alternatively you are going to have to either remember to add the bonus on every applicable roll by setting that modifier in the bucket before the roll, or create an OTF with that modifier and remember to click it before each applicable die roll.

Quote:
4. I'm using the optional rule to turn +4 or more damage into extra dice, is that possible to do?
No, not automatically. In my previous example, if you had an attack that does 3d of damage and you add the Weapon Master +2 per die, putting +6 in the modifier bucket will result in a roll of 3d+6 instead of 4d+2. This feature might be done in GCSGA when we get it done.

Thanks for the feedback! Always good to hear from our users. Most of our support is through the GURPS Discord: https://discord.gg/EBWukNVD

We have two dedicated channels there: vtt-foundry-gga and vtt-foundry-gcsga-alpha.
nick_coffin is offline   Reply With Quote