Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-04-2023, 06:35 PM   #11
RGTraynor

Default Re: Stats for Ancient Roman (Gladiator) Weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
That said, did the gladiators use legionary fighting styles? I can see the doctores not being keen on a style which leads to quick scuffles and dead gladiators when you could have a more performative style that leads to longer, visually impressive fights with a lot of showy, shallow cuts and plenty of non-fatal blood loss.
Probably not. Stamp-and-thrust, shield-up! makes for a good fighting style in formation. But the type of fighting best suited for military formations doesn't suit one-on-one melees. For one thing, a one-on-one fight means the other guy can just backpedal or maneuver in ways impossible to do in a press.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:49 PM   #12
Pursuivant

Default Re: Stats for Ancient Roman (Gladiator) Weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
I was wondering if this appeared in any supplements? Particularly I was hoping to find the stats for a "Gladius"...or should I just use the stats for a shortsword?
GURPS Gladiators treats the Gladius as a Shortsword, as does GURPS Martial Arts.

Not surprisingly, GURPS Gladiators covers just about everything gladiator-related in loving and highly accurate detail. Check it out.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote