Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-23-2020, 04:40 PM   #221
GnomesofZurich

Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He spots a likely target on the way back. Or rather two of them. How will he initiate contact, and how will he handle the other guy? or does a likely target mean an isolated one?
Isolated would be ideal, but are the two together, or just in the same place at the same time?
Old 10-23-2020, 10:42 PM   #222
TGLS

Quote:
Does Hua have any additional tricks to procure some filler?
Well, now I'm out of better ideas. Could I come up with a list of probable locations to search? How doable would it be to isolate Chuvi and beat the information out of her?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #223
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Isolated would be ideal, but are the two together, or just in the same place at the same time?
The two he spots are buddies. That will be the case with most people he runs into, though in the course of the average day he'll probably run into someone without a buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, now I'm out of better ideas. Could I come up with a list of probable locations to search? How doable would it be to isolate Chuvi and beat the information out of her?
Probable locations...

1) Her Locker. Its not in her locker, you already got in and looked there.
2) Medical Supplies. Sick bay is on deck 11 (Block C). A few of the storage compartments near there are dedicated to medical supplies. You'll know which ones (there should be two or three) you are looking for because they will have solid locks on them (though these are aimed at defeating addicts and other petty thieves, not dreadstormers)
3) A extra gear stash location, a compartment dedicated to storing extra gear needed for specific personnel. Normally, you won't know where these are, but as a member of transport... its part of what you need to do your job. There are two compartments, on decks 13 and 11. The deck 13 one is more likely to have the filler, as the deck 11 one has more officer/morale section stuff. These compartments also have good locks, though aimed at basic security rather than dreadstormers.

Isolating and beating Chuvi... hmmm.

You have the physical stats to overpower almost anyone on the ship if you get the one on one, and that includes Chuvi. You don't have the interrogation or intimidation skill though, and one of those is pretty important if you want solid information from a beating.

You'd need to get both of you separate from your buddies. With your buddy being Botha, that may be tricky to arrange, though I'm sure you could arrange at least a few minutes.

You probably need to keep Chuvi from talking afterwards, or from having injuries that would prompt investigation. You'd probably have to get creative with that. Disguise your true intent, or find some sort of blackmail.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:32 PM   #224
TGLS

Quote:
There are two compartments, on decks 13 and 11. The deck 13 one is more likely to have the filler
Well let's leave the nuclear option for later. I'm sure I can find something to do on Deck 13 that I can cut out on. Would any of the tools used to repair the forklifts be of any use as lockpicking equipment? Could I swipe one if so?
Old 10-25-2020, 03:59 AM   #225
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
The two he spots are buddies. That will be the case with most people he runs into, though in the course of the average day he'll probably run into someone without a buddy.
Daymar, seeing the pair approach, will feign being startled (Acting), bump into one, and fall. While apologizing profusely for his clumsiness, he asks, "Could you give me a hand up?" If his request is granted, he'll use Mental Surgery during that moment of contact.

[128] 20-10-25 10:56:54 CET

Acting (to feign being startled causing a fall)

3d6 <= 14
1 + 1 + 2 = 4 ... success (critical success! "I'd thank to the Academy...")

[129] 20-10-25 10:58:33 CET

Mental Surgery (Pyromania (6) and Delusion "I started the fire")

3d6 <= 15 (possibly 14; not sure what value you place on that Delusion)
1 + 5 + 2 = 8 ... success
Old 10-25-2020, 07:13 AM   #226
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Well let's leave the nuclear option for later. I'm sure I can find something to do on Deck 13 that I can cut out on. Would any of the tools used to repair the forklifts be of any use as lockpicking equipment? Could I swipe one if so?

Yes, but give me a scrounging roll to see just how well you can make them work.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 10-25-2020, 04:52 PM   #227
TGLS

Quote:
Yes, but give me a scrounging roll to see just how well you can make them work.
Well, let's roll:

Quote:
[130] 20-10-25 23:51:31 CET
Scrounging
3d6 <= 10 : 6 + 4 + 1 = 11 ... failure
Oh well.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #228
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Daymar, seeing the pair approach, will feign being startled (Acting), bump into one, and fall. While apologizing profusely for his clumsiness, he asks, "Could you give me a hand up?" If his request is granted, he'll use Mental Surgery during that moment of contact.
That will be DX-based acting... but its a crit anyway, so it come across beautifully, leaving him prone on the ground and maybe hurt (it just looks that way, he's fine). he doesn't even have to ask: they each grab a hand and pull him up.

Quote:
Mental Surgery (Pyromania (6) and Delusion "I started the fire")
3d6 <= 15 (possibly 14; not sure what value you place on that Delusion)
It depends on Why he thinks he started all three fires? small fun fires that got out of control (-5)? Or did he intentionally start out of control blazes in critical areas for the thrill of it (-10)?

It think you're still missing something to make this man "Criminal". Pyromania alone won't explain it, especially not his pinpoint targeting. He won't continue to set big fires that cause ship-wide panic. He also won't have Jakorbi sympathies... though you've hit others with that. He will set things on fire in small enclosed spaces he thinks are safe though.

Quote:
Well, let's roll:

Oh well.

That's a -4 then (total skill of 10). Each attempt takes a minute. You'll need to get to the location and away from Botha, and it'd be nice if you could prevent people from noticing what you're up to. When will you attempt opening the locks, and which location will you try first? (time and day: you got the tools on Tuesday)

Old 10-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #229
TGLS

Alright, let's go after Deck 13 first.

Administration to find a time when no one in transportation is scheduled to come by:
Quote:
[131] 20-10-26 21:36:16 CET
Administration
3d6 <= 13 : 2 + 4 + 3 = 9 ... success
Research to find a suitable distracting activity close to the storage:
Quote:
[132] 20-10-26 21:37:47 CET
Research
3d6 <= 13 : 5 + 1 + 5 = 11 ... success
Hm... Could I find a "floor cleaned sign" or something to put up around area so nobody (or at least fewer people) come that way while I'm trying to pick the lock? Scrounging to find?
Old 10-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #230
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
It depends on Why he thinks he started all three fires? small fun fires that got out of control (-5)? Or did he intentionally start out of control blazes in critical areas for the thrill of it (-10)?

It think you're still missing something to make this man "Criminal". Pyromania alone won't explain it, especially not his pinpoint targeting. He won't continue to set big fires that cause ship-wide panic. He also won't have Jakorbi sympathies... though you've hit others with that. He will set things on fire in small enclosed spaces he thinks are safe though.
Okay, but how about Compulsive Behaviour (12) (Starting fires) [-15] and Delusion (I started those fires for fun and they got out of control) [-5]. As far as Day is concerned, he doesn't need to have Jakorbi sympathies, this is an added distraction for the powers that be.