Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Talents for MH:RPM Paths okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
For Talent, Peter is right; you don't have to allow it, but then you might have to deal with munchkins trying to raise IQ! as high as possible.
Of course that's only a problem if you don't have a disadvantage limit or allow IQ! as a metatrait; neither of which seem to be good ideas if you are worried about munchkins.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Of course that's only a problem if you don't have a disadvantage limit or allow IQ! as a metatrait; neither of which seem to be good ideas if you are worried about munchkins.
I've never made a character that ever came close to the disadvantage limit even for low point games.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I've never made a character that ever came close to the disadvantage limit even for low point games.
Then you aren't the sort of person that would sell down Per and Will to get a boost to IQ-based skills.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #24
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Then you aren't the sort of person that would sell down Per and Will to get a boost to IQ-based skills.
I would if the concept required it. The super intelligent but not super willful or perceptive is a quite common character.
Either way doesn't matter much.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #25
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I would if the concept required it. The super intelligent but not super willful or perceptive is a quite common character.
Either way doesn't matter much.
In which case you'd hit the disadvantage limit, which was my point. So-called "IQ!" doesn't actually exist. Unless you specifically make it a metatrait, it counts against the disadvantage limit, is limited in humans to IQ-4, and cannot be "purchased" after character creation (you can't just take a disadvantage after character creation and get the points back).
Old 05-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #26
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
In which case you'd hit the disadvantage limit, which was my point. So-called "IQ!" doesn't actually exist. Unless you specifically make it a metatrait, it counts against the disadvantage limit, is limited in humans to IQ-4, and cannot be "purchased" after character creation (you can't just take a disadvantage after character creation and get the points back).
I don't like rules that explicitly disallow valid character concepts, especially when they mimic real world possibilities.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #27
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerhaven View Post
So I wonder whether it's really right to think of it as an unfair /unbalanced option.
That's up to the GM and depends on the campaign, really.

Quote:
And another thing that will vary significantly from GM to GM, and from setting to setting.

That's why RPM addresses this, offers advice, and softly suggests what I think is the most reasonable and balanced approach (in the form of Natural Caster, a 15-point Talent that covers a nice wide range of useful skills). It's made clear that the GM absolutely has the right to forbid Path skills from Talent (since they're as much "spell" as "skill") but also why he might not want to.

I specifically put the Talent discussion into a box (as opposed to in the standard Advantages section) to emphasize that this isn't "the one right way" to handle this in RPM, just one of many.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #28
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
And another thing that will vary significantly from GM to GM, and from setting to setting.
Sure but it seems rather self defeating to say, "I'm worried about munchkins so I don't have a disadvantage limit and I allow IQ! as a meta-trait."

Quote:
That's why RPM addresses this, offers advice, and softly suggests what I think is the most reasonable and balanced approach (in the form of Natural Caster, a 15-point Talent that covers a nice wide range of useful skills). It's made clear that the GM absolutely has the right to forbid Path skills from Talent (since they're as much "spell" as "skill") but also why he might not want to\
Yeah, that's completely sensible.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #29
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:

That's why RPM addresses this, offers advice, and softly suggests what I think is the most reasonable and balanced approach (in the form of Natural Caster, a 15-point Talent that covers a nice wide range of useful skills). It's made clear that the GM absolutely has the right to forbid Path skills from Talent (since they're as much "spell" as "skill") but also why he might not want to.

I specifically put the Talent discussion into a box (as opposed to in the standard Advantages section) to emphasize that this isn't "the one right way" to handle this in RPM, just one of many.
Natural Caster isn't MH 1, and that's the only one I have right now.
Which book is it in?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #30
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Which book is it in?
It will be in GURPS Ritual Path Magic, at least that's what Jason is saying.

Tags
ritual path magic, talent