Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #11
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Weapon Master as part of a power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The analogy with Innate Attack isn't terrible. But I'd still consider WM to be an Advantage without an activation roll.
I think this is important. IA has you roll against a skill to use it and No Roll Required can get rid of that. Does NRR do anything on WM?
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #12
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
That's all well and good, but look at Sorcery (which was made as a power). Talent helps all skill rolls to use the abilities....
And there's the rub, "use the abilities". Sorcery doesn't require skill rolls to cast the spells, but it does often require skill rolls to use the spell's effects well.

And this is an outlier in how Talents work, because Sorcerers are meant to be highly skilled, but their magic is meant to 'just work'.

Note, I'm not arguing against making a "Bladesinger" Talent (frex). Just build it like a Power Talent + a Skill Talent.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:02 PM   #13
AlexanderHowl

I tend towards for raw power when I use Weapon Master. A character with ST 20, DX 12, IQ 10, HT 12, Combat Reflexes, Weapon Master (Staff), and Staff-22 runs at around 220 CP and is capable of performing three 3d+10 crushing strikes per turn at skill 16 (a cheaper version with ST 14, reducing tge cost to 160 CP, deals 'only' 2d+6 damage with each of their strikes per turn). Everything else is just gravy at that point.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:02 PM   #14
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I tend towards for raw power when I use Weapon Master.
I keep forgetting how much power you get from WM. I love the combo with fencing weapons to have continually high parries, but yeah the damage is a huge part of WM.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:39 PM   #15
AlexanderHowl

Staffs also benefit from the same rules (Martial Arts, p. 123). If you really want to be a defense bunny, give the previous build OHT (Staff) and two staffs (it is strong enough to use staffs one-handed without any penalty). With the +2 to parry and the -1 per additional parry after the first one per weapon, things get really interesting very quickly. Using their default DWA (Staff), the individual could engage six people at a time and disable two per turn.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:17 AM   #16
Varyon

Quote:
Staffs also benefit from the same rules (Martial Arts, p. 123). If you really want to be a defense bunny, give the previous build OHT (Staff) and two staffs (it is strong enough to use staffs one-handed without any penalty). With the +2 to parry and the -1 per additional parry after the first one per weapon, things get really interesting very quickly. Using their default DWA (Staff), the individual could engage six people at a time and disable two per turn.
Staff is exclusively a two-handed skill. Note the jo, which is readily usable in one hand, uses Broadsword for that. And if you aren't using Staff, you don't get the +2 to Parry from it. You could probably justify using Spear with a quarterstaff one-handed (it's pretty much a spear without a head anyway), but you'd be restricted to thrusts and still wouldn't get the +2 to Parry, because you're using Spear, not Staff.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #17
AlexanderHowl

You can use staffs one-handed without penalty if you have ST 14+.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:33 PM   #18
Varyon

Quote:
You can use staffs one-handed without penalty if you have ST 14+.
Please see MA220. A Staff weapon wielded in one hand uses Broadsword skill. You might be able to try to claim you'd still use the +2 Parry, but that makes absolutely no sense, particularly with the jo (which is already usable with Broadsword, but doesn't get the bonus there; there's no realistic reason why the jo would get a +2 to Parry when wielded one-handed by characters with ST 12+). Again, the +2 to Parry is a function of the Staff skill (in conjunction with a compatible weapon, note dueling polearms don't get it), not a property of the weapon itself.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:32 PM   #19
AlexanderHowl

It is the large blocking surface that gives the +2 to skill. The problem with using staff with Broadsword is that it assumes that you are wielding it like a sword, holding it at one end, when you could instead be holding it in the middle, which would require Staff. Even the -1 damage does not really make sense though, as a staff is heavier than a bokken (which is also used with Broadsword), so it should deal more damage.

Either way though, using staff with two hands is more effective for offense, so I tend to go with that option. Hitting three people per turn with an average of 20 crushing damage is rather awesome. It also means that you are fully exploiting WM.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 04-15-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:46 PM   #20
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneWolf17 View Post
What's the power? Normally I wouldn't use Weapon Master in a power..
Taskmaster's power would have Weapon Master in it.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, talents