Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #81
Culture20

Default Re: [Combat]: Do you bow, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
--Weapon Bond perk gives +1 to skill with your bow. Yes, a swordsman can take it too, but a melee fighter will also be using his shield and possibly unarmed combat skills (to fight off grapples and such). An archer will use his bow almost exclusively and so gets more mileage from the perk.

--Fine arrows are a lot cheaper than a Fine sword.
Which makes me wonder: can an archer cheat and get a weapon bond with an arrow and bow, using both bonuses? If not, then it might be cheaper to get a super magical arrow as sig gear:
"Black arrow! I have saved you to the last. You have never failed me and always I have recovered you. I had you from my father and he from of old. If ever you came from the forges of the true king under the Mountain, go now and speed well!"
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #82
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Or another simple alternative is to have the mages buy an Innate Attack for more dakka, and use Magic for the rest.
This. If you want a magical ranged fighter, use magic as powers. I'm fond of the wizard who has three or four alternate attacks or even modular abilities that use an element (say -- fire) to make several forms of attacks. be careful to cap the damage output of the innate attack though .

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #83
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctifer View Post
Heh... I thought I was the only one!

I love GURPS, particularly 4th ed. I wouldn't be here if I didn't. But as a former technical writer, the layouts and overall structure of the books drive me absolutely mad.
Then you haven't read enough RPG books. There's far worse out there.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #84
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
For anyone seeking really bad layout, I can recommend first edition Fuzion, which is a classic case of an author going wild with DTP. He'd have used flashing ink if he could get it. Continuum, by contrast hurts the eyes because of lack of application of DTP facilities.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #85
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
I have "issues" with the previous editor, but I can say nothing but good things about his and everyone involved work with the proofreading/layout/etc. of Gurps products.
The sheer number of basic spelling and factual errors in RPGs at large is depressing.
Sorry White Wolf, but vampires cannot transmit sickle cell anemia. It's a genetic disease, not malaria.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:05 PM   #86
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Well, depends how straight a line you need to walk. That's actually something people do routinely fail to do. Normally nobody cares whether you're walking in a straight line...

Your height, horizontally, may be more distance than you realize. Most couches I've met are at most a little over six feet long, including the arms. Six feet is certainly not a distance where you could reach out and touch the target. (Of course it's literally right in front of you, that's a direction, not a distance...)

I wish this absurdity would die. There is no rule requiring or even suggesting that you must have hundreds of hours of practice in something to have a single point.
Of course in the real world some talented people may improve MUCH faster with minimal practice. But I was using the shorthand of experience to bolster my statement that I can't be working from anything but default.
I'm rather embarrassed as I too have stated how the points to hours ratio is an optional loose rule at best.

Right in front of me is a distance for missile weapons though, trivially point blank. Of course my arm is only arm length, so right in front of me would be much closer than half whatever that may measure. I'm using subjective terms here. I would hope context makes their meaning clear.

People fall all the time globally. But no single person falls 50% of the time when in combat and not dodging furiously or across uneven broken ground.

But apparently statistics including numerous out of shape panicking police officers means that Gurps adventurers that aren't failing fright checks or moving fail just as often. It's weird that default Gurps characters are slightly superhuman in every other regard.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #87
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
This. If you want a magical ranged fighter, use magic as powers. I'm fond of the wizard who has three or four alternate attacks or even modular abilities that use an element (say -- fire) to make several forms of attacks. be careful to cap the damage output of the innate attack though .
For example the group

Flame Arrow! - Innate attack 9d (Burning; Variable, +5%; Cost Fatigue (1 FP per 3d), -5%; Mana Based, -10%; Requires Incarnation, -5%; Requires Gestures, -5%, Increased Range, +10%; Increased 1/2D only 2, +10%) [45]
Flame Arrow. - Innate attack 1d (Burning; Mana Based, -10%; Requires Incarnation, -5%; Requires Gestures, -5%, Increased Range +10%, Incred 1/2D 2, +10%) [5/5= 1]
Ignition [1]
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #88
Noctifer

Quote:
Not to put too fine a point on it... not many.

Sure, you'll find some pretty rough Kickstarted RPGs these days for download, but in the last five to ten years the AAA PnP RPGs out there have finally started to understand that not only do the rules need to be solid, but you need to present them clearly and attractively. There are some games far inferior to GURPS that have a huge and growing following, in part, because of increased production values.

I'm not saying GURPS needs to have the production value of a Serenity RPG or D&D5, but it really does need a redesign (not of the rules, of everything else...except the indexes... the indexes are spot on) to recapture people's imagination.

Play shouldn't be bogged down by poorly organized rules books, y'know?
Noctifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #89
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Of course in the real world some talented people may improve MUCH faster with minimal practice. But I was using the shorthand of experience to bolster my statement that I can't be working from anything but default.
I'm rather embarrassed as I too have stated how the points to hours ratio is an optional loose rule at best.

Right in front of me is a distance for missile weapons though, trivially point blank. Of course my arm is only arm length, so right in front of me would be much closer than half whatever that may measure. I'm using subjective terms here. I would hope context makes their meaning clear.

People fall all the time globally. But no single person falls 50% of the time when in combat and not dodging furiously or across uneven broken ground.

But apparently statistics including numerous out of shape panicking police officers means that Gurps adventurers that aren't failing fright checks or moving fail just as often. It's weird that default Gurps characters are slightly superhuman in every other regard.
I don't know why you comparing walking and shooting a target at 6',

We all walk*, we have for the sake of using this thread's context 'a high skill in walking', so high in fact it would take severe negative mods for us to have to "roll" our walking skill even in combat. Most falling in normal circumstances would be more akin to critical failure, not a skill 10 person missing a close range attack.

Default GURPS characters are not slightly superhuman in all other regards, your citing someone with skill of 10 in combat, that's pretty average and unskilled in GURPS terms. If I have that skill level and swing at a chap standing in front of me (even at 6' if I'm using a reach 2 weapon), I'll miss half the time even if he doesn't go to any specific effort to avoid my blow.

I also don't know why you feel you have to infer panicked and out of shape police officers. Yes they are not delta force, but equally combat is actually hard, especially for skill 10 combatants (also leaving aside not all combat situation are optimal)

Those are the stats, I applaud a system that actually says we'll pay attention to the stats, not what everyone "knows" is true or possible.

Especially as when it comes to combat people who actually have direct experience are in the distinct minority.

Remember also that with just a second's aim you will be adding significant bonus, even just making a determined AoA you'll increase you chances. in a non combat situation I think you'll find both of these actually take place an awful lot

*generally speaking

Last edited by Tomsdad; 07-23-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #90
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctifer View Post
Not to put too fine a point on it... not many. Sure, you'll find some pretty rough Kickstarted RPGs these days for download, but in the last five to ten years the AAA PnP RPGs out there have finally started to understand that not only do the rules need to be solid, but you need to present them clearly and attractively.
I have, recently, been punished by the core rulebooks for Shadowrun and Dark Heresy. Those are pretty books, and are major properties, but horrific from a usability standpoint. GURPS books are not beautiful, but they're functional.

Tags
bow