Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-21-2006, 02:09 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Clarifications on the Main-Gauche Skill?

Greetings, all!

I'm having a slight trouble with the 4e Main-Gauche skill. It states that it gives +1 to parry compared to the Knife skill, but must be used in the off-hand, while Knife should be used with the primary weapon.

So the question arises, do I need both Knife and Main-Gauche to weild a pair of knives*? If yes, why do I have a higher Parry with my off-hand than with my primary hand? If not, why does it say that I need the Knife skill?
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:31 AM   #2
Avel

Default Re: Clarifications on the Main-Gauche Skill?

When we put main-gauche into play in our game, we took it to mean

Main-Gauche skill is only "the skill of parrying with an off-hand dagger",

therefore to attack with a knife you need Knife skill, and you get + to parry because that's all it does, the skill is dedicated to defending not a normal weapon used for either attack or defence.

But we could very easily be wrong :)
Avel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:47 AM   #3
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avel
But we could very easily be wrong :)
Yep, you are wrong.

Main-Gauche is basically "knife plus" - it's a better version of knife. If you have it, you don't also need Knife. It does everything Knife does plus a bit more; however it is more difficult and is a Fencing weapon (which has its own ups and downs) so if you don't need the "extras" you are better off with Knife. The line about using a Knife as a primary weapon is confusing, but I am 100% certain you can use a knife as a weapon - to attack, to defend, and in either hand - using Main-Gauche - thanks to discussions with Sean concerning GURPS Martial Arts.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:41 AM   #4
Steelie

Avel's misguided (and I'm his GM although much less experienced in GUPRS than he). One of our players spent points on Main Gauche _and_ knife until I pointed out that surely they were the same skill, but one gave you a bit more and was consequently harder to learn.

I'm glad that I was apparently less wrong than normal this time :o)
Steelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:05 AM   #5
Avel

OK good! I was right though, that when we first had main-gauche we had both skills being bought :) I'm not the character in question so I didn't notice that Steelie wisely refunded his knife already :p
Avel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:36 AM   #6
NorthSaber

I've always played with both skills - to me it seems that Main-Gauche *only* includes training for the off-hand (which is why we call the skill "Left Knife" in our games).
Old 07-21-2006, 07:10 AM   #7
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog
Yep, you are wrong.

Main-Gauche is basically "knife plus" - it's a better version of knife. If you have it, you don't also need Knife. It does everything Knife does plus a bit more; however it is more difficult and is a Fencing weapon (which has its own ups and downs) so if you don't need the "extras" you are better off with Knife. The line about using a Knife as a primary weapon is confusing, but I am 100% certain you can use a knife as a weapon - to attack, to defend, and in either hand - using Main-Gauche - thanks to discussions with Sean concerning GURPS Martial Arts.
It was in G3, but there are reasons to use that enterpretation with G4 basic. It is not listed with normal melee skills for one and does not really say you can attack with it, so it is not unreasonable to treat it as a sort of shield skill for useing with a knife.

So the wording in basic is unclear
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:16 AM   #8
zogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith

So the wording in basic is unclear
Agreed, however I would take a clarification from the author of the 4e version of Martial Arts pretty seriously as being correct.
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:19 AM   #9
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogo
Agreed, however I would take a clarification from the author of the 4e version of Martial Arts pretty seriously as being correct.
So would I. It is something that should be clarified in that book(hell it should have been clearer to begin with, changeing the sentance about knife being for attack to everything knife normaly includes is in this skill as well would not have changed word count and been clear)
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:44 AM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith
It is not listed with normal melee skills for one
Actually it is, under the subsection fencing weapons B208, it actual the first fencing weapon described.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote