Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-16-2021, 08:45 AM   #131
ajardoor

Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
We haven't rolled my elementals for the day. Telrith will certainly want elementals around on this of all days. (one 9 for a earth servant, two 9's for talking rocks, and a 12 for a talking rock)
Alright, you rolled 9, 10, 12, and 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious Violence View Post
I would like to roll

Survival 15
Naturalist 14

in order to find the best place to start the fire, as well as locate enough kindling to keep the fire going, also some green/young plants so that the smoke is "smokier".

Maybe a second naturalist to find some kind of poisonous/irritant producing plant we can burn to further our cause.
You rolled 11 and 10.
There are big fresh trees around, that you can chop up for kindling. As for where to start the fire, you figure some of the caves may have alternate exits or are deep enough to escape the smoke and wait out the fire. No poisonous or irritant producing plant is around.

Could you roll your Search skill? Just to see if you locate all the cave entrances in the canyon...
Old 04-16-2021, 08:57 AM   #132
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Once again, one earth servant, one talking rock.

I wanted more rocks today... darn.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:16 AM   #133
Hide

Quote:
(...) Could you roll your Search skill? Just to see if you locate all the cave entrances in the canyon...
Hello man!

Bain previously rolled observation, he was successful, so I guess we got that covered.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #134
vicious Violence

Quote:

You rolled 11 and 10.
There are big fresh trees around, that you can chop up for kindling. As for where to start the fire, you figure some of the caves may have alternate exits or are deep enough to escape the smoke and wait out the fire. No poisonous or irritant producing plant is around.

Could you roll your Search skill? Just to see if you locate all the cave entrances in the canyon...
My plan is to use a sort of chimney effect, using the cool air from the caves to draw the warm smoky air into the caverns, any exits that are not the ones in front of us, I wanted to ask Telrith if you could create a chimney or a stack of dirt/earth, so that any creatures that try to escape would get stuck in them (going from wide to narrow). Then if we consider it, it would be easy to block the exits and let the creatures die inside.
I’ll get to cutting the trees and making the pyre.

Murderplan.jpg
vicious Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:31 AM   #135
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

You want the chimney where? drilled down into the top of the cave?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-16-2021, 10:49 AM   #136
vicious Violence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You want the chimney where? drilled down into the top of the cave?
The chimneys would be on top of the natural exits for the caves (type breathing holes). I want to ask if with your magic, we could remove/move the dirt around the trees so that we only have to cut them down, and if we could clear a 30 meter radius from the firepit we would use.
vicious Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #137
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

is the box canyon 100 feet long and 400 feet wide? that's what the description says, but somehow that doesn't sound like a box canyon. I suspect that its 100 feet WIDE and 400 feet long. Also, its feet, not yards, right? that would mean the 30 yard radius I've been asked to help clear would be 1/3rd of the total area of the canyon.

Telrith can spend 1 FP to move 1 cubic yard of dirt. Once he gets skill 15, that will be different, but for now moving the dirt costs FP. That won't dig out the stump, but it will let us cut the tree out without leaving a stump. but that's 1 FP for each tree, unless they're small trees close together... how big around are these trees?

We haven't found any holes at the top for air yet, so I don't know how hard it would be to block them off like chimneys. If we're going to try and tackle the dungeon upside down with flames and trickery, finding a route to the top of the canyon/ravine is a good idea.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:32 PM   #138
Hide

Well, as I understand the canyon looks like this.

There are two approaches for this:

Number one:

We do not require building a chimney to have the caves suck the smoke.

We just have to light a fire of the right size, and the channels/chambers within The Caves will circulate the smoke inside the caves thanks to the differences in temperature, as long as the smoke supply is continuous.

Number two:

We could actually build 2 or 3 “pipelines” with dirt using Telrith’s powers; the smoke would be directly fed into the caves by a structure similar to a chimney. I guess this is what Vicious means.

In both cases we don’t require an exit at the top of the caves or anywhere in particular, we just need to light the fire at the right time; that would be before dawn, when the sleep is heavy and the sun is about to rise, preventing combat without light.

The smoke will eventually seek an exit, but not before the sun rises and the environment of the whole region gets warmer. Such is the “chimney effect”.

Last edited by Hide; 04-16-2021 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:38 PM   #139
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Bain previously rolled observation, he was successful, so I guess we got that covered.
Alright. You find some more cave entrances, SEE MY NEXT POST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Not quite. Guess I described the wrong thing. SEE MY NEXT POST.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:44 PM   #140
ajardoor

Ok, here is a crude map of the canyon.
The numbered orange triangles are cave entrances, the blue line is the Goblinwater, the black lines denote the sloping walls of the levels.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezinaaailf...Entry.png?dl=0

Is that good enough?

Tags
dfrpg, dungeon fantasy, fantasy, magic, martial arts