Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-02-2019, 09:23 AM   #1
b-dog

Default Infernal Fire

I was wondering how you would handle a supernatural fire from the Infernal. This fire treats those with souls as being flammable, thus the flesh of humans and other PC races that are mortal becomes flammable like oil. It will burn other objects normally but it supernatural power is to burn those with souls. How would you handle this? Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Infernal Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I was wondering how you would handle a supernatural fire from the Infernal. This fire treats those with souls as being flammable, thus the flesh of humans and other PC races that are mortal becomes flammable like oil. It will burn other objects normally but it supernatural power is to burn those with souls. How would you handle this? Thanks.
My first thought would be to give the basic flame a damage value and then follow the burning clothing rules (I'm on Fire!, Exploits, p. 68). This wouldn't require clothing, of course. Or, if you really want human souls to be extra flammable, you could just say that any hit ignites you completely. Standard flame would do 1d-1 per second. Infernal flames could do more.

Then you'd have to decide if drop and roll works or if you have to be doused with holy water or other magical techniques.

An interesting element would be to say that the flames don't actually affect your clothing or armor at all (unless it's holy). So your flesh burns, but your armor is unscathed.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
How would you handle this?
Treat anything with a soul as Flammable as per "My Gear!", Exploits pg 68.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
An interesting element would be to say that the flames don't actually affect your clothing or armor at all (unless it's holy). So your flesh burns, but your armor is unscathed.
I was thinking about that too and it would seem to be more creepy.

I also have a poison fire that burns a sickly green. It causes burning damage but also acts as a contact opinion on the areas being burned by the fire. Not sure how to model that but I imagine the more damage the fire does the more poison infused in the victim.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
I was thinking about that too and it would seem to be more creepy.
Which is what would happen if you treat the flesh of person as highly Flammable (ie only needing 1 point of burning damage to catch on fire) but not their clothes.

Quote:
Not sure how to model that but I imagine the more damage the fire does the more poison infused in the victim.
Set the HT penalty based on amount of damage done. Say... every 5 points of burn injury from the poison flame is a -1 to HT. Then set the poison as having a decent cycle (say every second or every few seconds, with 10 cycles?) rate where it deals toxic injury only on a failed HT roll.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Either a cyclic attack, or an attack with Symptoms or Side Effect (Combustible). If you want to be excessive, add Flammable and Explosive to the mix.