Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

View Poll Results: DFRPG Future, as whished for by Forumites
1) Just make more. 37 22.56%
2) .pdf with POD support 43 26.22%
2a) Seperate line. 10 6.10%
2b) Integrate into the DF line 67 40.85%
2c) Finish whats available, and end further production of new material. 1 0.61%
3) Simply end all further production, and place resources in other projects. 6 3.66%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: The Future of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I was thinking some of the outfits are really cute

But now that you've mentioned reasonable I just can't help but wonder how painful the dry cleaning bill is on a brightly colored floor length gown after a dungeon crawl
I meant that it has a refreshing lack of mail bikinis, butt-floss, and boob plate.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #12
David Johansen

One Clean spell later...

So, here's a question: would a cheaper set have done better? Let's say fold up Cardboard Heroes and a reduced page count in a smaller box with black and white poster maps.

I don't know how it is for other stores, but I find lower price points work better for many of my customers. Part of that is location, I'm in a rougher part of town. How much rougher? The drug dealer in the apartment behind my store smashed a hole in the wall the Friday before Christmas and homeless people occasionally come in to warm up. Anyhow, I sold two copies. I need to order more before they're all gone. I preordered with my distributor but they didn't bring any in so I'm glad I did the Kickstarter.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:51 PM   #13
afschell

I put this over on the stakeholder's forum so I won't double post it totally but ...

I really believe that the dearth of DF/DFRPG adventures hurts the game. If one of its purposes was to draw new people to the system, would I, as a newcomer, spend $60 for a boxed set knowing that there are only a few adventures ready to run without a lot of effort?

I know that, personally, the lack of adventures to choose from is painful. Yes, there are a handful available, but not many. And I don't have the time to create them from scratch. Which means I am constantly converting (after purchasing) other vendor's products. I would much rather send my cash to SJG for modules that are balanced for DF/DFRPG and contain hex-grid VTT player maps that are ready to go.

But then I may just be alone in the wilderness.

Last edited by afschell; 02-14-2018 at 05:57 PM.
afschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #14
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
So, here's a question: would a cheaper set have done better?
Maybe, but that's not the premise of this thread, either. This thread specifically talks about the future of the game. If you want to have a postmortem on what we already have, please do so in a new thread.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #15
JMason

I would love to see continued support in pdf (and maybe even collected POD, Companion 2?). And I would LOVE to see more of these higher quality cardboard heroes, especially for some of the unique DF monsters that didn't get made for the boxed set. Oh, and a lot more race/template combos! I'd love to see a whole page of various Cat-folk.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #16
Kalzazz

Okay sir_pudding, got what your saying

While I am busy dreaming of the implausible, but not necessarily entirely impossible, and since the cardboard heroes are really cute and cool . . . it would be awesome if SJGames teamed up once again with the legendary David Morgan-Mar and made a DFRPG Webcomic

He's already shown he can make an awesome webcomic using a camera and minis after all, and he has worked with SJGames in the days of yore
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #17
Hrothgar Rannúlfr

I am sorry to read that DFRPG isn't doing better.

I just ordered the boxed set, GM screen, and the Companion, this week. Also ordered the two main GURPS Basic Set books.

DFRPG is what inspired me to start considering GURPS as an RPG system. Sure, I could just keep playing Pathfinder or D&D 5E or even one of the older editions or retroclones, thereof. However, GURPS seems like a very powerful game engine, from what I have read and the DFRPG gives me a good way to try out and learn the system and introduce it to friends. I am hoping that they will like it better than Pathfinder or D&D 5E.

I know that I'm gonna need more than one copy of the player's side of the rules for DFRPG. So I hope that they will quickly become available via print on demand, if the boxed set can't remain available.

I also would like to see more adventures, monsters, templates, and pre-generated characters and NPCs. PDFs are OKs. I really like having digital copies. But, I still prefer to have hardcopies of the rules that the players will need.
Hrothgar Rannúlfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:12 AM   #18
SteamBub

I'm a bit interested how successful DFRPG would be if it was release on a VTT platform. I know that, at least in my circle of tabletop RPG friends, most are just playing online these days.

Also, what would a DFRPG print on demand future look like? DF Companion is now available POD, so I can easily see a DFRPG books being POD and dropping the box set.

I also just saw DFRPG as a great introduction to the GURPS system and the GURPS DF line more than something that would continue on as it's own line. Pushing the PDFs or a hypothetical POD and VTT items and then have those users more over the GURPS DF proper would be better in my opinion.
SteamBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:01 AM   #19
JackShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by afschell View Post
I put this over on the stakeholder's forum so I won't double post it totally but ...

I really believe that the dearth of DF/DFRPG adventures hurts the game. If one of its purposes was to draw new people to the system, would I, as a newcomer, spend $60 for a boxed set knowing that there are only a few adventures ready to run without a lot of effort?

I know that, personally, the lack of adventures to choose from is painful. Yes, there are a handful available, but not many. And I don't have the time to create them from scratch. Which means I am constantly converting (after purchasing) other vendor's products. I would much rather send my cash to SJG for modules that are balanced for DF/DFRPG and contain hex-grid VTT player maps that are ready to go.

But then I may just be alone in the wilderness.
You are definitely not alone. The primary reason we started playing Pathfinder many years ago was the Adventure Path support. I don't care for the system, but being able to read through the adventure and be ready to go was invaluable to an adult with a busy schedule. We moved to D&D5 and had the same support with the big book campaigns.

When the DFRPG was announced I was ecstatic. We could move back to my favorite system and still have quick to pick up characters and adventures. I've said even before release that I hoped we'd get regular adventure support, even if only in PDF. I know historically that Adventures never sold well for SJG/GURPS but I was hoping the fixed setting of DFRPG might change that.

I am sad to hear that it isn't doing well. I have been more than happy with the boxed product (except for the beautiful but nearly useless GM-only maps included) and have 2 games running now. But unless that adventure support materializes soon, once I run the 2 Rat adventures, and the Fire Demon, I'm back to converting D&D/PF adventures for use.
JackShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #20
Ulairi

I want more adventures that receive a physical release either traditional or POD. DF isn’t GURPS and I know traditionally GURPS fans haven’t wanted adventures because as a toolbox game it’s hard to apply based on each referees game. However with DF it’s a completed game. I also think adventures are a great way to implement new templates and other things.
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dfrpg