Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 06-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
UnknownMan

Default Faster play rules

I felt we need a suggestion forum for faster play in munchkin quest.

The expansion rules already indicate to try starting with only 2 moves per turn.
Personally I think this is a MUST!

The next biggest slowdown aspect of the game HAS to be the number of DxM cards you draw. On a 2 move turn, you could draw 1 DxM for start of turn, explore a room (Draw 1 DxM) roll your color for the monster base(draw 1 more DxM), defeat this monster of your color base(draw 1 more DxM), explore a second room and repeat!

That would give you a total of 7 new DxM cards for 1 turn!!! +1 more if you roll your color on the monster move phase! total cards = 8 !!!

This gives a LOT of curse cards, and monster boost cards to play on other players, and this causes a stalemate affect on game play, where you have SO MANY cards to bash each other with that nobody can win!

Below ar rules I've gathered from diffrent forums and personal game sessions. These rules try to rectify the slow pace of the game.

Possible rule changes include:

1) Start with only 2 moves per turn. (The expansion rules already indicate to try this. Personally I think this is a MUST!)

2) Only 1 new room exploration per player turn. (this reduces time spent, and DxM cards drawn as you normally get a new card for each exploration.)

3) No DxM cards for matching Monster Dice rolls. (You just dont need the extra DxM cards)

4) No DxM card for defeating your monster, instead draw an extra Treasure! (DxM cards mainly hurt others, treasure cards mainly help you. Also throwables that can hurt others require you to be no more than one room away to use. all good things for speeding up the game.)

If you were to play with all 4 of these rule changes, each player would get 2 moves, 1 new room exploration max, and 2 DxM cards max per turn, AND get one extra treasure when defeating their own monster)

I think this provides a much more manageable game, where people still get DxM cards to bash each other with, but not so many that the game suffers for it.

Other possible changes:

5) Buying a level costs 1 move.

6) Try to make trades when its NOT your turn whenever possible ( more of a suggestion than a rule)

Last edited by UnknownMan; 06-19-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: fixed roll for monster base error
UnknownMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
worms919

Default Re: Faster play rules

Just want to point out that when determining a Monster's base color, you get the DxM only when your color comes up on the Monster Die, not when you choose it because an invalid color comes up.

Also, this is one of the few instances that allow DxMs to be drawn by a player out of turn, so I think its a good rule to keep as it keeps players engaged out of turn.

The problem with two move for the whole game is if you get a -1 movement penalty from something your turns are really short. In a 6 player game it can be devastating. I prefer the 1st turn: 1 move, 2nd Turn: 2 Move, 3rd + Turns: 3 Move variant.

I kind of like that bonus treasure for matching base idea, I'll probably try that one...
worms919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by worms919 View Post
I prefer the 1st turn: 1 move, 2nd Turn: 2 Move, 3rd + Turns: 3 Move variant.

I kind of like that bonus treasure for matching base idea, I'll probably try that one...
I like both of these.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
UnknownMan

Quote:
Just want to point out that when determining a Monster's base color, you get the DxM only when your color comes up on the Monster Die, not when you choose it because an invalid color comes up.
Thanks, i have now edited the original post.

Quote:
Also, this is one of the few instances that allow DxMs to be drawn by a player out of turn, so I think its a good rule to keep as it keeps players engaged out of turn.
Well, I still think that i would give you too may DxM cards. At the very least I personally would give the DxM card for EITHER the monster move turn or base selection, but not BOTH.

Quote:
The problem with two move for the whole game is if you get a -1 movement penalty from something your turns are really short. In a 6 player game it can be devastating. I prefer the 1st turn: 1 move, 2nd Turn: 2 Move, 3rd + Turns: 3 Move variant.

A 6 player game where each person has 3 moves?? how many days does that take to finish? I have played 6 players only once. And after 6 hours we were unable to finish the game, and that was with 2 turns a piece. Nobody could win. one person would make it to the entrance and the level 20 monster would be pumped up beyond 40! wth 6 people, there seemed to be an ENDLESS supply of curses and Monster buffs.

I'm not trying to insult you here, but I would really like to know how you overcome that and win.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
Cheese8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownMan View Post

A 6 player game where each person has 3 moves?? how many days does that take to finish? I have played 6 players only once. And after 6 hours we were unable to finish the game, and that was with 2 turns a piece. Nobody could win. one person would make it to the entrance and the level 20 monster would be pumped up beyond 40! wth 6 people, there seemed to be an ENDLESS supply of curses and Monster buffs.

I'm not trying to insult you here, but I would really like to know how you overcome that and win.
Are you forgetting the rule that when facing the boss monster you can ask for help from someone who is also level 10 and you both win?
MIB #4282

The Most Impressive Loser in the MQ Gauntlet
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
Quaff_fu

Here are some old posting with ideas on fast play.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=49812
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=49118
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=48496
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=48438
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=46910
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/378811

Pat
Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
UnknownMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese8242 View Post
Are you forgetting the rule that when facing the boss monster you can ask for help from someone who is also level 10 and you both win?
No, not forgetting, but when we play, basically ...there can be only one...
Old 06-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
Cheese8242

Quote:
No, not forgetting, but when we play, basically ...there can be only one...
Well, then your asking for a really really long game. I ran a demo the other night at a store. 8 people ended up showing up, 6 of which had never played before. When I started the demo only 5 people were there, all 5 were in the group of never playing before (the other 3 showed up a little later and I got them started in their own game). I joined the group of 5 and we played a very good game. So, in total there was 6 players (and yes we played with all 3 move, I had forgot to use the 2 move rule from the expansion, bad MIB) and we were able to finish the game in 4 hours. And remember besides myself (the person who was running the demo and had to keep an eye on the other table) everyone else were complete newbies to the game.

Had everyone been a little more seasoned to the game I think we could have finished in around 2 and a half hours to maybe 3 hours. Of course there were two winners, but that didn't make the game any less fun for everyone at the table.

But if you want to play cutthroat (which is perfectly fine) and only allow one player to win, you are going to have to expect long games. Well, unless some gets luckly. I have seen a six player game end in an hour and a half. The monster die was rolling only orange and that person was getting tons of dxm cards while no one else was. He was just unstoppable that game. He shot up to level 8 on his first turn and ended it his next turn.
MIB #4282

Old 06-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
UnknownMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese8242 View Post
But if you want to play cutthroat (which is perfectly fine) and only allow one player to win, you are going to have to expect long games. Well, unless some gets luckly.
EXACTLY! Hence the creation of this thread. To allow the game to be played so that 1 person CAN win. I have listed rules here to give fewer player bashing DxM cards, fewer moves per turn, and extra treasure (player boosters) for killing own monsters.

I played a 3 player game with 2 friends the other day, we played with all the normal rules but only 2 moves. We started at 7:00 pm. At 12:30 am (on a wednesday) we called it quits. We were all at level 10 (well back and forth between 9 and 10, as we kept getting killed in the boss fights) , and nobody could win because the other 2 players kept getting so many DxM cards that it was impossible to kill th boss.

It sucked the fun out of the game. There are alot of people who bash Munchkin quest for this very reason. I like the game, and my friends (this was there first time playing) said it started out fun, and they would give it another chance if we could reduce the number of DxM cards.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
Cheese8242

Quote:
EXACTLY! Hence the creation of this thread. To allow the game to be played so that 1 person CAN win. I have listed rules here to give fewer player bashing DxM cards, fewer moves per turn, and extra treasure (player boosters) for killing own monsters.

I played a 3 player game with 2 friends the other day, we played with all the normal rules but only 2 moves. We started at 7:00 pm. At 12:30 am (on a wednesday) we called it quits. We were all at level 10 (well back and forth between 9 and 10, as we kept getting killed in the boss fights) , and nobody could win because the other 2 players kept getting so many DxM cards that it was impossible to kill th boss.

It sucked the fun out of the game. There are alot of people who bash Munchkin quest for this very reason. I like the game, and my friends (this was there first time playing) said it started out fun, and they would give it another chance if we could reduce the number of DxM cards.
It just seems your need to play cutthroat is what is sucking the fun out of the game. Like I said in my last post, I played a 6 player game with out changing any rules at all with 5 completely new players and the game still ended around 4 hours. And every single person that played had a blast, it wasn't any less fun because two people won the game together. But hey, if changing some rules would make the game more fun for you and your group then by all means go for it.

But please don't say the game is to long and the fun gets sucked out of it, when you yourself are saying you ignore the one rule in the game that would fix both of those problems. That's not quite fair to the game.
MIB #4282