Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
Ji ji

Default Re: Defense Bonus

Thank you for the explanation.
However, this interpretation is even more odd, to me. There is a hit roll, and I always considered it took on account of a moving target. Moreover, if dodge is erratic movement, it's not clear at all why it shiuld be influenced by deceptive attacks and feints.

To me, a dodge seems an active defense (and it is, by definition, an active defense). I prefer to use a cumulative -2 penalty. If the reason behind no penalty is the "passive" nature of a dodge, I think I'll continue to follow my house rule, because I prefer consider an erratic, unpredictable movement as a matter regarding hit roll and not active defense.
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #22
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Ain't nothing woeful about it. Combat Reflexes being cheap is a good thing.
Until you reach the point where everyone takes it without needing to stop and think. But I don't think that's the case with GURPS 4E. It's cheap at 15 CP, but for many character concepts, there are other traits you want to buy first.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #23
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji ji View Post
Thank you for the explanation.
However, this interpretation is even more odd, to me. There is a hit roll, and I always considered it took on account of a moving target. Moreover, if dodge is erratic movement, it's not clear at all why it shiuld be influenced by deceptive attacks and feints.

To me, a dodge seems an active defense (and it is, by definition, an active defense). I prefer to use a cumulative -2 penalty. If the reason behind no penalty is the "passive" nature of a dodge,.
The reason is because "Heck yeah Spider-Man or Batman can dodge multiple gunmen"
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #24
Icelander

Quote:
The reason is because "Heck yeah Spider-Man or Batman can dodge multiple gunmen"
For all other superpowers in GURPS, the way to model them is to pick the appropriate Advantage and pay the points for it.

Spider-Man and Batman become considerably less impressive if the street thugs they fight can duplicate their stunts. Even if the thugs might have only a 62% chance of doing it as opposed to 98%, it's still rather disappointing.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #25
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Until you reach the point where everyone takes it without needing to stop and think. But I don't think that's the case with GURPS 4E. It's cheap at 15 CP, but for many character concepts, there are other traits you want to buy first.
If the campaign is combat heavy they like SG-1 where even Daniel Jackson the sage of the party becomes a proficient combatant then all the PCs buying is a good thing and why it's cheap so it can be picked up in play.

so no even when it reach the point where everyone one takes it you don't need to stop to think when they taking it for the reason it exists, people who are comfortable reacting in crises situation... which is a good description of experienced PCs in a lot of campaigns, while they might not start like that they often become so
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #26
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Absolutely. In the campaigns I've played under 3e and 4e, it's a usual thing to take if combat is a major part of what the character does. But if not, it's hard to justify, and the points are more use in other things.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #27
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
For all other superpowers in GURPS, the way to model them is to pick the appropriate Advantage and pay the points for it.
That would lead to them being just as untouchable by master martial artists, and they aren't.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #28
Ji ji

Quote:
In a supers, cinematic game, multiple dodges without penalities are fine. It's only that I play only harshly realistic adventure, so dodge penalities suit much better.
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #29
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji ji View Post
In a supers, cinematic game, multiple dodges without penalities are fine. It's only that I play only harshly realistic adventure, so dodge penalities suit much better.
If you play harshly realistic games, then how are dodge scores high enough in the first place to cause a problem?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #30
vierasmarius

Quote:
If you play harshly realistic games, then how are dodge scores high enough in the first place to cause a problem?
A harshly realistic setting is not incompatible with exceptional and heroic individuals. A character with CR and high Basic Speed could hit a 75% Dodge rate (or higher) without delving into cinematic traits. The Multiple Dodge penalty helps to bring Dodge 12+ back down to earth.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defense, gurps 4e