Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 12-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
shazamapajama

Default Boss Fight and Running Away

My family's game is currently resting on this one specific question:
During a boss fight, can one use the card "Blink Potion" (which says it may be "played at any time", and if used during combat, can be used to "escape unharmed", allowing you to "Run Away automatically") to Run Away from the Entrance room without having to lose any life/levels to the Boss Monster?

More generally, we are wondering if one may attempt to Run Away (with a die) before losing life to any monster, especially the Boss.

We're confused because the rules specify that nothing can be done to "bypass" combat with the Boss, but the rules seem to be saying that the Boss just can't ignore you or can't be moved anywhere. But we're currently having an intense argument over whether the unmodifiable rule that says nothing can "keep the Boss Monster from fighting" means that you can't Run Away, with or without a card.

We tried to read the rule book thoroughly and searched the forums for any questions, so hopefully we didn't miss any obvious answers. Thanks for your help!
shazamapajama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
bonetm

Default Re: Boss Fight and Running Away

I think this is legal, since you're not avoiding combat.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
rek075

The Blink Potion allows you to escape from combat before rolling the dice, which allows escape without taking a hit and a level loss in a boss fight. If you already rolled your dice and lost in combat, then you take the hit and lose a level.

Escaping from combat is different than bypassing combat - I believe in this instance its referring to winning the game without having to battle the boss.
rek075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:10 AM   #4
saladproblems

I agree, I think the rule is to prevent winning without fighting, ie banishing the boss or something similar. It doesn't seem like it's intended to prevent escape.
saladproblems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
wriathblackmane

I'm of the understanding, according to the rulebook, that running away only happens when combat fails. IE: you roll the dice fail to beat the monster, take a hit and now you run for the hills. In the section about combat it says that when you realize your incapable of beating a monster you have an option to ask for help (page 9, first left hand column way at the bottom:

If you cannot kill the monster, you can still ask for help, or play more cards, before you roll.

Whereas in regular munchkin it says you can ask for help or run away. Running away (by dice roll alone) seems to happen only if you fail to win in Munchkin Quest.

However, using an escaping potion (use at any time) seems fine to me, even on the boss. I'd allow it unless munchkinman tells me I'm full of it. >.>
wriathblackmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #6
Creon

just a quote from the rulebook.

"This rulebook gives the
general rules. Cards and
rooms add special rules, so
when the rulebook disagrees
with a card or room, follow
the card or room. If a card
disagrees with a room, follow
the card. However, some rules
are unmodifiable! See p. 1."

happy gamings!
Creon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creon
just a quote from the rulebook.

"This rulebook gives the
general rules. Cards and
rooms add special rules, so
when the rulebook disagrees
with a card or room, follow
the card or room. If a card
disagrees with a room, follow
the card. However, some rules
are unmodifiable! See p. 1."
But, there's that last pair of sentences, see? "However, some rules are unmodifiable! See p. 1." So, the concern is about whether applying that card would violate one of those unmodifiable rules from page 1. At any rate, I have to look at the specific card for this case.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
O'Keefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazamapajama
My family's game is currently resting on this one specific question:
During a boss fight, can one use the card "Blink Potion" (which says it may be "played at any time", and if used during combat, can be used to "escape unharmed", allowing you to "Run Away automatically") to Run Away from the Entrance room without having to lose any life/levels to the Boss Monster?

More generally, we are wondering if one may attempt to Run Away (with a die) before losing life to any monster, especially the Boss.

We're confused because the rules specify that nothing can be done to "bypass" combat with the Boss, but the rules seem to be saying that the Boss just can't ignore you or can't be moved anywhere. But we're currently having an intense argument over whether the unmodifiable rule that says nothing can "keep the Boss Monster from fighting" means that you can't Run Away, with or without a card.

We tried to read the rule book thoroughly and searched the forums for any questions, so hopefully we didn't miss any obvious answers. Thanks for your help!
The intention is that there's no way to win the game without killing a Boss. Escaping from the fight isn't "bypassing" the boss since he wins a fight you run away from.
will@sjgames.com
O'Keefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
Verble

Hate to be a thread Necromancer, but we had a similar situation come up a couple nights ago with a boss fight. One of the party members entered the Entrance and then the Munchkin to his right played "Curse! Winds of Fate". The specific wording is as follows:

Play at any time. Move the Victim one room in any direction except through a wall. Yes, this curse can be used to let any munchkin, including yourself, Run Away.

The debate that occurred was, "Does playing Winds of Fate simply move the Munchkin away from the Boss fight, or should the affected Munchkin ALSO lose a level, since it technically becomes an unsuccessful combat?" Thoughts from the community?

Also, big shoutout to Progmode. We went to college together. Sean, it's Matt, and I'm on a boat. :D
Verble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
MunchkinMan

At least your necromancy is related, topically and asking a question as opposed to just a clever quip or something of little value!

At any rate, I'd lean towards moving them away without any penalty, but maybe I'm wrong about that.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote