Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #31
Ji ji

Default Re: Defense Bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
A harshly realistic setting is not incompatible with exceptional and heroic individuals. A character with CR and high Basic Speed could hit a 75% Dodge rate (or higher) without delving into cinematic traits. The Multiple Dodge penalty helps to bring Dodge 12+ back down to earth.
Basic speed 6 + CR + heavy cloak = dodge 12 :)
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #32
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji ji View Post
I hadn't even considered the inclusion of a shield. It still bugs me a bit that shields give the same benefit when used "Passively" (aiding a Dodge or Parry) as when "Actively" Blocking. IMO, if multiple Blocks get a cumulative -5, then a shield's DB should only be applicable to a single non-Block defense per second (or more specifically, its DB should degrade by -5 per use, meaning only an epically-powered magic/superscience shield will provide any benefit past the first use). But anyways, yes, with Shield DB it's quite possible for Dodge to be an uber-defense against any attacks in a wide arc, even for a "realistic" character.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #33
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji ji View Post
This is why you use the damage to shield optional rule. (Or let gunfire ignore shields)
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #34
David Johnston2

Quote:
A harshly realistic setting is not incompatible with exceptional and heroic individuals. A character with CR and high Basic Speed could hit a 75% Dodge rate (or higher) without delving into cinematic traits. .
DX 16, HT 13 or so gives you a ten, right?. Those are some pretty heroic stats. Also expensive.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #35
Ji ji

Quote:
I hadn't even considered the inclusion of a shield. It still bugs me a bit that shields give the same benefit when used "Passively" (aiding a Dodge or Parry) as when "Actively" Blocking. IMO, if multiple Blocks get a cumulative -5, then a shield's DB should only be applicable to a single non-Block defense per second (or more specifically, its DB should degrade by -5 per use, meaning only an epically-powered magic/superscience shield will provide any benefit past the first use). But anyways, yes, with Shield DB it's quite possible for Dodge to be an uber-defense against any attacks in a wide arc, even for a "realistic" character.
Shield DB applies only to attack from certain directions. It seems to me that a passive bonus makes sense, because it is realistical that a well-done attack (directed to target silouhette) can land on the shield and be deviated. The different DB seems right, too: 0 for a little buckler, 1 for a 40cm buckler, 2 for a chest-size shield, 3 for a big shield covering from knees to shoulders. If you use a big shield to block an attack, it remains to cover the same area (the hexes from which the attack can arrive), and so the others.
If you want to "aim" to an area not covered from shield, this is simulated by deceptive attack: to avoid a medium shield, you can go for -4 to hit, neutralizing +2 DB.
The idea of shield covering only from some direction, plus shield damage, seems to me a good compromise. At least referring to 2-3 DB shields, that don't go out of line while used for blocking. If someone wants more realism, a solution could be to state which body location benefit from DB, but this is an intricate mechanic, too.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #36
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
DX 16, HT 13 or so gives you a ten, right?. Those are some pretty heroic stats. Also expensive.
I was thinking stats around 14 (heroic, but not unrealistic), Combat Reflexes, and improved Basic Speed (again, not considered an unrealistic trait). I don't subscribe to the CoSN view that Spec Ops and elite soldiers have stats of 12.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #37
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
improved Basic Speed (again, not considered an unrealistic trait). I don't subscribe to the CoSN view that Spec Ops and elite soldiers have stats of 12.
while it is realistic... it isn't harsh realistic.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #38
Ji ji

Uhm. I allow without any problem ST to 15, DX and IQ to 14, but not HT over 12, if we are talking about harsh realism (or 11+fit). Even with optional harsh bleeding rules of MA, HT 14 means 50% of spontaneous stop bleeding of a vital/artery wound; this is not what I call harsh realism*. If a person has exceptional resistence to some hazard, I prefer a specific +1/+2 like (hard to subdue) or (resistence to disease), above HT 12. An other way could be to fix some max to specific rolls, for example:
max to bleeding rolls, before location penalties: 12
max to death rolls: 14, -1 per HP full negative multiple
and to allow a maximum 13 or 14 for HT.

On the other hand, GURPS merging of BS-BM with DX and HT is a design matter, nor a simulative one. In fact you can buy or sell BS apart from DX and HT. I have no problem with players buying large amounts of BS, to a maximum of 7.25. I allow BS 8, too, (selling some BM), but not BS 8 + CR. Basic dodge 11, going 13 with acrobatic dodge (and before retreat or dropping options), seems to me enough for any realistical game.

However, dodge 11 plus the various bonus from DB, acrobatic dodge and retreat is already a problem, if you don't set cumulative penalties for successive dodges.

* I HR that a vitals bleeding roll failed by 1 or 2 lead to bleeding rolls every 30' instead of 30".

Last edited by Ji ji; 10-17-2012 at 05:30 AM.

Tags
defense, gurps 4e