Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #61
demonsbane

Default Re: GURPS - translate in other languanges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Editing is NOT optional.
QFT. yeah I know, more letters :D

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #62
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Exactly. I think that these things like translators putting brackets with question marks, or entire lines in the original language, personal comments in the text, etc . . . are directed to the reviewers and editors. This happens more often with beginning or non-professional translators.
Not really, the brackets and question marks are exactly how professional translators are supposed to notate this type of issue to their copy editors.

The problem is that the translators' notation wasn't reviewed by copy editors who were supposed to check those things out and give feedback, and the raw work was printed without significant editorial review.

You can't blame translators for not doing copy editors' jobs, especially if you don't tell them ahead of time that not only are they supposed to be translating something, but that they're also supposed to be editing and putting out a polished finished product. The product you guys are talking about is normally supposed to go from the translator to a copy editor, then from the copy editor to the executive editor, then it's supposed to be published.

Eliminating copy editors has become pretty common, but don't blame the translators for not being copy editors, that's not normally their job.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #63
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Eliminating copy editors has become pretty common, but don't blame the translators for not being copy editors, that's not normally their job.
You mean they ever existed? Not in the local RPG industry, where any kind of editing is sort of a bonus.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #64
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Not really, the brackets and question marks are exactly how professional translators are supposed to notate this type of issue to their copy editors.

The problem is that the translators' notation wasn't reviewed by copy editors who were supposed to check those things out and give feedback, and the raw work was printed without significant editorial review.

You can't blame translators for not doing copy editors' jobs, especially if you don't tell them ahead of time that not only are they supposed to be translating something, but that they're also supposed to be editing and putting out a polished finished product. The product you guys are talking about is normally supposed to go from the translator to a copy editor, then from the copy editor to the executive editor, then it's supposed to be published.

Maybe I expressed myself bad. I'm not blaming the translators, but the lack of reviewers and editors. I mentioned the beginning or non-professional translators because many role playing publishers -La Factoría de Ideas, Devir, etc- often use this kind of translators, and thus it's a fault of them to not review the work of these translators. Yes, they -beginner or profesional- are encouraged to use brackets and comments, even writing text in contrasting colors for catching the attention of their copy editors.

Actually I agree with the points that you are explaining.

Wolfgang Smith

My G+
Old 10-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #65
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
You mean they ever existed? Not in the local RPG industry, where any kind of editing is sort of a bonus.
Time ago I was translating WoD books into Spanish for La Factoría de Ideas, and I can assure you that they existed :)

However, they could do a better job, specially when they deal with the work of beginning translators . . . and I guess that this is the core of the whole issue.

Wolfgang Smith

My G+
Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #66
Perssek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
I own GURPS Conan (in portuguese) and never saw that line in english =(... Do you have a page reference?
Sorry man, I don't have the book here (I can ask my friend who has it), but I remember it was about a kind of (magic, I guess) boat with wings, and I can clearly recall it "saying" ?wide-beamed hull? I guess it was in the magical stuff chapter. It was a long time ago, but I can still remember the error.

Oh, and Conan's queen (Zenobia? Can't be bothered to Google for it) had IQ 2. I know Conan doesn't go for the college girl type, but come on...
Old 10-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #67
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
One of the most common anti-GURPS arguments I've heard for several years in the third edition era (although it can be heard even today!) was the rule of "to dig a hole", therefore meaning that GURPS was a over-complex system. Now, guess where that "argument" came from?
What's wrong with that? It's exceedingly offensive to have an RPG campaign in which every single character, regardless of sex, species and any individual traits, dig at the same speed.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #68
Druida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
One of the most common anti-GURPS arguments I've heard for several years in the third edition era (although it can be heard even today!) was the rule of "to dig a hole", therefore meaning that GURPS was a over-complex system. Now, guess where that "argument" came from?
Man, GURPS have three rules:
1 - Role 3D6 to do a test;
2 - Role the dice when your character do an damage;
3 - You determine the reaction of NPCs seing the Reaction'sTable.

All Other rules are only suggetion!

https://www.rpgamesbrasil.com.br/
Druida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #69
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druida View Post
Man, GURPS have three rules:
1 - Role 3D6 to do a test;
2 - Role the dice when your character do an damage;
3 - You determine the reaction of NPCs seing the Reaction'sTable.

All Other rules are only suggetion!
I have only used this rule a handful of times

And I dont think its a core mechanic really, as long as you take into consideration whats influencing their actions and dont ignore how the modifiers could affect the situation...
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 4e