Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-21-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default A few questions about alien psychology

I'm starting to build a sci-fi setting and I'm interested in thoughts about how certain traits would affect the psychology and society of alien species. Here are a few of the ideas I have:

1) A species with a median IQ of 9, but a noticeably high number of above-average IQ individuals that give them a mean IQ of 10.

2) A species with racial Easy to Read. I haven't decided if it can be bought off or not, and obviously that would make a difference.

3) A species with, among other things, Absolute Direction, Colorblindness, and Extra Sleep.

4) A very small species (SM-4 ish) that originated from a planet significantly larger than Earth. Most species are around human size, so ideas for how they would react to other species would also be interesting.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: A few questions about alien psychology

There is some discussion along these lines in GURPS Template Toolkit 2: Races, though I don't think there is specific discussion of your points.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #3
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
There is some discussion along these lines in GURPS Template Toolkit 2: Races, though I don't think there is specific discussion of your points.
Also the article An Alien Way of Thinking in Pyramid #3/110 Deep Space issue has some ideas. Its short though,maybe someday I can do a bigger one.
Also GURPS Aliens Sparrials describes a social species where everyone has empathy based on smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
1) A species with a median IQ of 9, but a noticeably high number of above-average IQ individuals that give them a mean IQ of 10.

2) A species with racial Easy to Read. I haven't decided if it can be bought off or not, and obviously that would make a difference.

3) A species with, among other things, Absolute Direction, Colorblindness, and Extra Sleep.

4) A very small species (SM-4 ish) that originated from a planet significantly larger than Earth. Most species are around human size, so ideas for how they would react to other species would also be interesting.
1) Seems likely to be a society led by elite smarter individuals.
2) See the Sparrials recommendation above. Basically you'll have more trust in others and less lying. If some can buy it off they are likely to be very effective con artists unless its noticeable (probably covered up with Acting skill) in which case they may be outcasts or treated poorly. So a very cooperative society is likely unless resources are scarce.
3) Signs will be black and white, or at least high contrast. Street signs will still be used for those new to an area and roads make travel easier so not sure the effect of Absolute Direction will be that big. Extra Sleep likely low productivity and shorter work days.
4) Sparials are not that small but touch on this as does GURPS Aliens with species like the Cidi. They will be good at jobs requiring access to small spaces, maybe thought of as cute or harmless by larger people, they may be paranoid or fearful of larger creatures.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 04-21-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
1) Seems likely to be a society led by elite smarter individuals.
They could also be a race with distinctive biological castes, with IQ9 drones and IQ11+ leader castes. A radical biological split could create very dumb drones and very smart leaders eg IQ7 drones and IQ13+ leaders.