Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Powered Animals [Fantasy/Powers/Supers]

Powered animals have a long existence in human literature, with the Bull of Heaven being the first written example in the Epic of Gilgamesh (though they probably have existed since the first human told the first fictional story). I personally like them because they fit within practically any speculative genre, from fantasy to horror to science fiction. In particular though, they are suitable characters in supers games, as the idea of a talking ninja cat with the ability to teleport is not that strange compared to some super heroes (I have had players develop super heroes that were composed of tangible mathematical formulas whose powers represented using mathematics to alter the physical laws of the universe).

Do you use powered animals much in your campaigns? If so, do you use them as antagonists, protagonists, or both? Have you played a powered animal PC? If so, how did you make them different than the human PCs?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: Powered Animals [Fantasy/Powers/Supers]

Some animals in the Five Earths setting (see .sig) have a degree of sapience (and opposable thumbs), including cats and rabbits, and some of the smarter ones have psychic abilities and Path/Book magic. Think GURPS Bunnies and Burrows updated for 4e, with perhaps some adjustments here and there.

Random thought that might fit here a bit: Bunnies and Burroughs, a game of animals living on Barsoom.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 10-15-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
Donny Brook

This reminds me of the classic Gamma World 'hoops':

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hkSDDnVxC1...assbunnies.jpg
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:34 PM   #4
David Johnston2

One concept for a supers universe I've played around with is the one where there are actually more super powered animals than humans. The result is a struggle for survival against intelligent rats, giant insects and feral canines with laser eyes.

Of course just about everything in the GURPS fantasy bestiary is superpowered.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Imagine a world where 0.1% of cats have superpowers. In the USA alone, that would result in 100,000 supercats of varying capabilities. If we assume that 90% have 1-100 CP in abilities, 9% have 101-200 CP in abilities, 0.9% have 201-400 CP in abilities, 0.09% have 401-800 CP in abilities, and 0.01% have 801-1,600 CP in abilities, you could have ten very powerful kitties. Of course, the superdogs, with equivalent numbers, would be their mortal enemies.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
One concept for a supers universe I've played around with is the one where there are actually more super powered animals than humans. The result is a struggle for survival against intelligent rats, giant insects and feral canines with laser eyes.

Of course just about everything in the GURPS fantasy bestiary is superpowered.
I've long imagined a campaign revolving around a zoo for super animals. Weakly powered to fully un-powered humans have to investigate sightings, and capture them.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:16 AM   #7
Varyon

On one of the worlds of Brandon Sanderson’s Cosmere, magic is only found in animals, but fortunately these animals are generally restricted to a single archipelago. Said archipelago is basically a hellscape of horrifying predators that can hunt you down by detecting the presence of thoughts, have lethal poisons, and so forth - and it’s made worse by the fact that the few humans who do live there have a bizarre culture of trying to murder each other with traps. Said humans have learned to tame the less-violent birds to work symbiotically with them; the main character has one that makes thoughts undetectable within a given radius, and another that can show whomever it’s in physical contact with visions of their death, by way of warning (so if he’s likely to trigger a pit trap, he’ll see a superimposed image of the pit broken through and himself impaled at the bottom). These symbiotic birds appear to be the only way native humans can use magic.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #8
Refplace

In My current Supers setting I have a few very notable super animals.
One of the origins is a power seed about the sizeof a watermelon seed. When eaten it rewrites your DNA granting physical and mental enhancements. Animals tend to get smarter and more durable. Its not the most powerful origin but the most common one for animals.
Carnivores are unlikely too eat one,though if they eat a prey animal that just ate a seed before its gone to work it will work on them instead.
Also its inheritable maternally.

Known animals are a telekinetic killer whale, two giant wolves in Ireland (Fenris and Fenrir), a giant floating octopus, and a growing number of giant squid.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #9
Black Leviathan

We built blink dogs with the Jumper Advantage. We had a Fox Familiar that could go insubstantial. We've had a few other monsters with advantage powers, mostly because it's simple mechanics where it fits.

We don't think about the pt cost of the powers as much as we would for a PC. We're more focused on the cool factor.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Most familiars are "just" powered animals.
Though I guess few groups use them as full fledged PCs.

Tags
fantasy, supers