Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Super HP [Supers]

I suggest that we should have Super HP to complement Super ST. Super HP would provide an extra pool of HP that only absorbs damage when a character spends FP to active it. It is HP (Super-Effort, +400%) [10] and benefits from the same scale as Super ST. Super HP heals proportional to normal HP and adds to normal HP under normal circumstances (for example, a character with Super HP 30/120 and Regeneration (Slow) would normally heal HP 3/12 every 12 hours). The cost of Super ST should be increased to 50 CP/level to reflect the existence of Super HP.

So, what do you think? Would you allow Super HP? What impact do you think that it would have?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #2
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: Super HP [Supers]

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how it would actually work. Do you just choose every time you take a hit whether or not you want to spend FP to take it off your Super HP rather than regular HP? Is there some kind of ongoing cost?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
Refplace

I'd go with DR (Ablative, Costs FP) instead.
For me the best answer to high scaled HP is IT:DR.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
whswhs

I don't think it makes much sense to say that you can make a heroic effort of will and withstand extra damage.

We have Damage Reduction (if I recall the name correctly), which divides damage that you take by 2, 3, or 4, and has an exaggerated version for supers that gives you bigger divisors. I think that makes better sense.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how it would actually work. Do you just choose every time you take a hit whether or not you want to spend FP to take it off your Super HP rather than regular HP? Is there some kind of ongoing cost?
I imagine that you would have to pay one FP each time you take damage to shift damage to the reserve HP. In order to keep it balanced with IT:DR, a minimum of one point of HP damage would be applied to regular HP and the remainder would be applied to reserve HP. If your reserve HP reached 0, you would need to check for consciousness and at -(reserve HP), you would need to check for death.

For example, Tungsten Girl would have ST 20 [100] and HP+10 (Super-Effort, +400%; Super, -10%) [98], giving her HP 30/120. She also possesses DR 10 (Super, -10%; Tough Skin, -40%) [25] and Homogeneous (Super, -10%) [36] because she is made of living tungsten. If she suffers 60 damage from a 50 caliber BMG, she would subtract 10 for her DR (leaving 50), divide by two because of Homogeneous (leaving 25), and spend 1 FP to shift all but one HP damage to her reserve HP (leaving her with 29/95 HP). Since she did not take a major wound, she does not have to roll for knockdown, though she will probably take cover.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
Anthony

There's nothing preventing taking IT(DR) or DR with a cost fatigue limitation, which will produce more generally coherent results.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #7
AlexanderHowl

You have to activate those in advance though if you have Costs FP. They do not reflexively activate (unlike the Super HP).
Old 10-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
You have to activate those in advance though if you have Costs FP. They do not reflexively activate (unlike the Super HP).
That's just the costs fatigue rules being terrible, and is solved by ignoring them and just using Accessibility (Only when spends a point of fatigue).
Old 10-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #9
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't think it makes much sense to say that you can make a heroic effort of will and withstand extra damage.
Spending FP to mitigate the consequences of damage like shock, stun, or the breaking of limbs (to some extent - no one is going to run far on a broken femur) might be a better fit?
Old 10-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
That's just the costs fatigue rules being terrible, and is solved by ignoring them and just using Accessibility (Only when spends a point of fatigue).
But what are you going to spend FP on at the moment of injury? Even if you used Extra Effort on a defense, it ends before injury.

Tags
supers