Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
sonic232

Default GURPS Supers: The Tailor!

Random idea that I came up with, just for fun.

Power Focus: Creating clothes. Nothing else.
Power Sources: Divine (if granted by a deity of clothing)/Super (Makes a good candidate for an oddball super)

Base power: Snatcher (Creation +100%, Large Items +50%, More Weight (10 lbs.), Permanent +300%, Specialized (Only Clothes) +10%) 440 Points

I chose only 10% for Specialized because Weapons were 10% as well, and I envision this person basically making supersuits worthy of the perk of the same name. Possibly needs a bit more of More Weight.

The exercise here is to come up with what combat powers the person can do! Some ideas to start:

Innate Attack (Crushing): T-Shirt Cannon!
Binding: Wrap them up in a long scarf!
Illusion: Why take the time to create the clothes if they're not the person's color? Use this to see how something would look on a person before using Snatcher!

Let's see what all we can come up with!
sonic232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: GURPS Supers: The Tailor!

Edna Mode. . . .

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
sonic232

While I do see their personality like Edna Mode, they user Snatcher to pull the clothes out of the ether, rather than crafting them by hand. I'm looking for creative uses of the power for combat. For inspiration, think of when Genie pulls Aladdin's Prince outfit out of nowhere.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
ErhnamDJ

Well, you can summon a scarf to use as a garrote. You can summon all sorts of uniforms for infiltration purposes.

I guess you might be able to create other clothes for use as weapons. You could kick someone with steel-toed boots.

Maybe you could even create walls by stacking clothes, though I don't know if there have ever been any that are large enough to do that in a timely manner. Maybe circus clothes for elephants?

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic232 View Post
While I do see their personality like Edna Mode, they user Snatcher to pull the clothes out of the ether, rather than crafting them by hand. I'm looking for creative uses of the power for combat. For inspiration, think of when Genie pulls Aladdin's Prince outfit out of nowhere.
Forget combat. This is clearly a Power for a setting in which being properly dressed (and never being naked, or at least only rarely) is extremely important!
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
sonic232

The point of this is to make an oddball Super, as this is gonna be an NPC in a campaign I'm running. They make the Supersuits for the resident Super training organization. I'm looking at stuff they might do to help defend the base, rather than just turning and hiding.

What I'm looking for would be like this, given the examples I've already made:

T-Shirt Cannon!: Crushing Attack 4 (Increased 1/2 D Range Only), 21 Points (based on Stone Missile, with less damage because its cloth, but fired at a high speed)

Wrapped in Clothing: Binding 12 (Possibly with Suffocating and/or Engulfing... Let's say both with Selectivity), 59 Points

Covered in Cloth: Affliction 5 (Blindness +50%, Choking (secondary effect) +20%, Based on ST +20%), 95 points, Wraps subject's head in cloth tightly enough that they must tear off the garments. Possibility to be wrapped around their windpipe, same as with Binding.

There's the obvious implications of Snatcher being able to summon things for Improvised Weapon (Garrote) or getting that +1 or +2 on damage for Steel-Toed Boots (forget which), plus possibly the Accessory perk Climbing Line (made of rope-belts, extra long ties or whatnot) if you wanna get GOOFY with it.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
William

If you can summon them on a target, handcuffs and straitjackets are clothing, kind of.

For yourself, armor of various sorts, from modern riot gear to full medieval plate armor, would be very useful in a fight. I'd build this as a switchable DR of the most expensive sort, with various alternative abilities for other suits they can make. If they can summon any sort of armor, it might be Modular Abilities limited to DR.

A high-tech invisibility cloak based on image duplication, or whatever they call it where the suit is a cloth covered in polarized LEDs displaying an image of what's behind you, is reasonably plausible for a supers game.

Wearable weaponry might include sap gloves or stun gloves, if that much complexity is allowable.

Would a wingsuit count? Because, it would give Gliding, and, you know, wingsuits are awesome.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
William

And for a silly super, there's always hats that give skills: Nurse's cap, police cap, Sherlock's hat, wizard's pointy hat, army helmet, pirate's bicorn, etc.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
Refplace

Summon a Cloak and drop it on someone to blind and afflict a DX penalty for a turn or two.
Blinds, Binding, Obscure, lots of minor but annoying and distracting attacks.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
sonic232

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
If you can summon them on a target, handcuffs and straitjackets are clothing, kind of.
Yeah, that'd be part of the Binding advantage :)

Quote:
For yourself, armor of various sorts, from modern riot gear to full medieval plate armor, would be very useful in a fight. I'd build this as a switchable DR of the most expensive sort, with various alternative abilities for other suits they can make. If they can summon any sort of armor, it might be Modular Abilities limited to DR.

A high-tech invisibility cloak based on image duplication, or whatever they call it where the suit is a cloth covered in polarized LEDs displaying an image of what's behind you, is reasonably plausible for a supers game.
Hrm, yeah, but then Snatcher would get even MORE expensive if they wanted to actually GIVE the armor to somebody else... Snatcher has it appear in your hand, so these advantages would represent something that appears combat-ready, already being worn. Its possible that Snatcher represents what they can maintain away from their body in this case. I'd say that using clothing as alternative abilities like this would be represented by a Nuisance Effect: Ability makes you Obvious. After all, if you summoned armor for DR purposes, I think the enemy's gonna know that you're gonna be harder to hit.

Quote:
Wearable weaponry might include sap gloves or stun gloves, if that much complexity is allowable.

Would a wingsuit count? Because, it would give Gliding, and, you know, wingsuits are awesome.

Snatcher allows for a LOT of complexity, as you're willing the thing into existence. As long as you can visualize it, you can Snatch it. Again, any advantages beyond Snatcher that involves specialized clothing rather than tangling an enemy would probably represent COMBAT READY usage that can't be given away (vanishes when not in use). Snatcher would represent what he can give the other supers. This could get broken easily if we go this route, but I like it for the purposes of a joke NPC that ends up pretty awesome >:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Summon a Cloak and drop it on someone to blind and afflict a DX penalty for a turn or two.
Blinds, Binding, Obscure, lots of minor but annoying and distracting attacks.
Got a couple of those on my list now, but I like the contribution. Thanks ;)

Quote:
And for a silly super, there's always hats that give skills: Nurse's cap, police cap, Sherlock's hat, wizard's pointy hat, army helmet, pirate's bicorn, etc.
A bit TOO silly, even for my campaign, but I love the idea XD

Last edited by sonic232; 01-30-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Tags
supers