Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 03-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
Skarg

Default Re: Defense and Dx

Average DPT is not a reliable measure of combat effectiveness because of the other complexities of combat.

For example, because of the effects of injury rules (-2 DX for 5+ injury in one turn, -3 DX at ST 3 or less, falling down on 8+ injury per turn, unconsciousness and death), even people fighting only unarmored foes have difficult-to-meaure-but-very-significant advantages if they do more damage per hit.

And against foes with armor of any kind, you need to re-do all the math.

It also gets much more complicated when you consider all the various options from Talents, fighter designs with greater than 32 points, various equipment, not to mention magic...

Add in multiple opponents and various tactics, and DPT is just a theoretical statistic that it would be a mistake to pay too much attention to.

Oh, and just going from years and years of play experience, regular low-ST weapons do not need to be nerfed for balance reasons.

Last edited by Skarg; 03-27-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #12
JLV

Again, speaking personally, I have always felt that high DX is its own reward, so to speak, and the high DX person already has an advantage in that he gets to strike first and thus may kill his opponent before he can even strike back. All in all, I tend not to tinker too much with the details of combat (the old charge attack rules being one exception, which may be fixed now in the new rules), because it's such a finely balanced system and seems to work pretty well as is.

Having said that, if you go ahead with that plan, I'd like to hear how it works out compared to the regular rules. I think most of us have tended to do it the opposite, meaning that any tinkering over DX was done to give the high DX character an advantage in defense, as opposed to an advantage in attack, so this approach is sort of novel in my experience and should be interesting to hear about.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:06 PM   #13
Anthony

The basic thing to consider here is: your proposal makes DX better, relative to ST. This will have the effect of encouraging people to increase their relative investment in DX as compared to ST.

If you think that's a good outcome, sure, make your change. I would, however, argue that it isn't good, sample characters I've seen do not seem unduly biased towards high ST (if anything, the opposite). If you don't want to change the balance, you have to either give DX a new penalty, or give ST a new benefit (and the latter solution means you also need to look at IQ balance).
Old 03-28-2019, 06:35 PM   #14
hcobb

IQ is the defensive stat ITL.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #15
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
IQ is the defensive stat ITL.
Correct! TFT is just one 'click' more abstract than games that have complex parry/dodge rules. It is pretty granular, but doesn't try to model the outcomes of each cut/thrust. If you want to make yourself harder to kill, you have to invest in one or more of the talents that buy you better protection and/or make you harder to hit. The new edition provides a lot of this: Toughness, UC, weapon expertise/mastery, fencing, shield expertise. You can cook up characters who are really difficult to murder, without any magic at all.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:57 AM   #16
hcobb

Just take expertise in javelin and shield. If your foe has less than adjDX 14 then he might as well be adjDX zero.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #17
Skarg

IQ combined with the new defensive abilities in talents is much more of a defensive ability in Legacy edition than it was in original TFT.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote