Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #111
Michael Thayne
 
Michael Thayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Default Re: Why doesn't GURPS do Superheroes well?

You know, it might be good to create a version of Super-Effort that's explicitly limited to being used in ways heroes typically use their strength in the comics, and priced accordingly. Maybe don't do damage logarithmically, instead price it as if it were a bundle of Innate Attack (Melee, ST-Based) and Lifting ST (Super-Effort) or something.
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #112
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Why doesn't GURPS do Superheroes well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
You know, it might be good to create a version of Super-Effort that's explicitly limited to being used in ways heroes typically use their strength in the comics, and priced accordingly. Maybe don't do damage logarithmically, instead price it as if it were a bundle of Innate Attack (Melee, ST-Based) and Lifting ST (Super-Effort) or something.
I don't see why you'd need that. You can already buy Lifting ST (Super-Effort) and either Striking ST or Innate Attack (ST-Based) and some mix of Damage Resistance and Damage Reduction. And you wouldn't necessarily want to have a fixed combination of those traits at a fixed ratio. Why not just buy each one?

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #113
Michael Thayne
 
Michael Thayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Default Re: Why doesn't GURPS do Superheroes well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't see why you'd need that. You can already buy Lifting ST (Super-Effort) and either Striking ST or Innate Attack (ST-Based) and some mix of Damage Resistance and Damage Reduction. And you wouldn't necessarily want to have a fixed combination of those traits at a fixed ratio. Why not just buy each one?

Bill Stoddard
There's an aesthetic element, partly. Why ST (Super-Effort) in the first place? You could also ask why in Supers you didn't just say, "okay, Super-Effort, +400% can apply to Striking ST too" and let players decide on the ration, with ones who want their bundle to include HP play 41-odd points per level for the privilege?
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #114
Sunrunners_Fire
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default Re: Why doesn't GURPS do Superheroes well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
There's an aesthetic element, partly. Why ST (Super-Effort) in the first place? You could also ask why in Supers you didn't just say, "okay, Super-Effort, +400% can apply to Striking ST too" and let players decide on the ration, with ones who want their bundle to include HP play 41-odd points per level for the privilege?
Erm. Striking ST (Super-Effort, +400%) is in GURPS Supers. Its' called out in the textbox on pg 24. Admittedly, it is only suggested for four-color and ultraviolent campaigns, but it is there.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #115
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Why doesn't GURPS do Superheroes well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
You know, it might be good to create a version of Super-Effort that's explicitly limited to being used in ways heroes typically use their strength in the comics, and priced accordingly. Maybe don't do damage logarithmically, instead price it as if it were a bundle of Innate Attack (Melee, ST-Based) and Lifting ST (Super-Effort) or something.
Exponential damage is perfectly realistic for supers -- as long as it's being applied to inanimate objects (including penetrating worn armor). Superheroes seem to have an ability that converts their damage to some other (non-linear) scale when it's being applied to objects, and likewise converts damage from objects to a logarithmic scale when it's being applied to them.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #116
Mailanka
 
Mailanka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Default Re: Why doesn't GURPS do Superheroes well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Exponential damage is perfectly realistic for supers -- as long as it's being applied to inanimate objects (including penetrating worn armor). Superheroes seem to have an ability that converts their damage to some other (non-linear) scale when it's being applied to objects, and likewise converts damage from objects to a logarithmic scale when it's being applied to them.
That's an interesting idea. I think I could work with that.
__________________
My Blog: Mailanka's Musing. Currently Playing: Psi-Wars, a step-by-step exploration of building your own Space Opera setting, inspired by Star Wars.
If you want to support me, check out my Patreon!
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #117
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Why doesn't GURPS do Superheroes well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
That's an interesting idea. I think I could work with that.
It's challenging to build mechanics for, though. Something like:

Super-Damage (ST/VH): roll Super-Damage to cause damage to an object. You may do this for any natural attack, including innate attacks (the GM may require a minimum of 1d), and replace the normal damage of that attack. On a success, look up your margin of success on the range/speed chart, and that is your damage. When hitting a character (a character is considered to be anyone who pays points for their hit points and DR), final wounding cannot exceed 10% of hit points x your margin of success.
Super-Lifting (ST/VH): roll Super-Lifting to lift an object. Ordinary objects have a penalty equal to their SM, the GM may give other objects their own resistance. Success allows lifting the object as Extra-Heavy encumbrance; for every 2 points by which you make the roll, reduce effective encumbrance by 1 level.
Super-Resilience (HT/VH): roll Super-Resilience to resist injury. This roll is at a penalty equal to range/speed modifier for the injury being negated; against multiple attacks, roll once for the total, not once per attack. On a success, the attack does not harm you. On a failure, you suffer injury equal to the amount by which you failed, or the original damage, whichever is more.

Those abilities are not balanced against tech (they're insanely overpowered), though for super vs super they just work out to a quick contest and the loser takes damage equal to the amount by which he lost.

Last edited by Anthony; 02-09-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #118
Michael Thayne
 
Michael Thayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Default Re: Why doesn't GURPS do Superheroes well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Erm. Striking ST (Super-Effort, +400%) is in GURPS Supers. Its' called out in the textbox on pg 24. Admittedly, it is only suggested for four-color and ultraviolent campaigns, but it is there.
Oh, I know. But it's not clear if that's saying, "you can buy Striking ST (Super-Effort, +400%)" so much as "that's what it would cost if you could buy it." In any case, it wasn't strictly necessary to wrap it all up into one modifier and give the HP for free... but Supers does that to simplify things, and maybe because it was decided that buying Striking ST (Super-Effort) without the other things would be unbalanced or not genre-appropriate.

So here's what I'm thinking: Make a new enhancement for ST called "Four-Color, +150%" For purposes of Lifting ST, it acts exactly like Super-Effort. Furthermore, when making an unarmed attack again an inanimate object or superhuman foe, the super can add 1d/level to damage instead of adding Four-Color ST to regular ST.

Game mechanically, this is something like Crushing Attack 1d (ST Based, +100%; (Other Limitations), -X%) [?]; HP +1 [2]; Lifting ST +1 (Super-Effort, +400%) [15]; Striking ST +1 (Alternative Ability of Crushing Attack, x1/5) [1]. It totals to 25 points or so, but rather than worrying about the exact value of the limitations on the Crushing Attack, and rather than writing the whole mess on your character sheet, you just call it ST (Four-Color, +150%) [25/level] and call it a day.
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
supers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.