Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
Gamer234

Default Truly Obnoxious Curse

The Truly Obnoxious Curse states: Lose the item that gives you the biggest bonus.

We were wondering about this scenario. Player A is wearing the Kneepads of Allure and forcing someone to help. Player A gets cursed as stated above. Is there an argument to be made that the item providing Player A with the biggest bonus is the Kneepads, or would it have to be an item with an actual bonus on it?
Gamer234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Truly Obnoxious Curse

An actual bonus, and not one that is random, like the Kneepads of Allure, or something that specifically adds a die roll.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Kirt

Also, if I understand correctly, the Kneepads do not operate as a continuous effect.

One announces their use and then it is done - another player IS helping you in the combat. Even if the Kneepads are later lost to a valid curse, the other munchkin is still in the combat. The only thing that might cancel their effect is violating their conditions of use.
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirt View Post
Also, if I understand correctly, the Kneepads do not operate as a continuous effect.

One announces their use and then it is done - another player IS helping you in the combat. Even if the Kneepads are later lost to a valid curse, the other munchkin is still in the combat. The only thing that might cancel their effect is violating their conditions of use.
That is correct. I'm also trying to make it clear that one couldn't also say, if there's anyone at the table whose Levels + bonuses is greater than that of the victim's highest bonus giving Item, that the Kneepads of Allure should be affected by that curse. It's just easier to say anything that gives a persistent fixed bonus is the target of this curse.
MiB #1029
Old 08-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Kirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
I'm also trying to make it clear that one couldn't also say, if there's anyone at the table whose Levels + bonuses is greater than that of the victim's highest bonus giving Item, that the Kneepads of Allure should be affected by that curse.
The OP was a situation in which the Kneepads were currently forcing someone to help.

Your point above addresses the situation in which the Kneepads could be used, but have not yet been used. That they are still not a target for the curse even in this situation is an important clarification, so thanks!
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
The OP was a situation in which the Kneepads were currently forcing someone to help.
Yes, that subtlety hadn't been lost on me, nor did it invalidate or change my answer, so I'm wondering why it needed mentioning. . .
MiB #1029
Old 08-06-2010, 01:27 AM   #7
Palmer

Quote:
That still doesn't mater, because they are providing zero bonus.
It's the other PLAYER who is providing a bonus (of sorts). The kneepads just generate an instant effect.

Even then, the combat strength of a helper is not considered a "bonus" - it's just Combat Strength.
MIB #5799 - Vancouver, BC, Canada, Eh?
CON SCHEDULE

August 24 - 26, 2012 - Cos & Effect, Vancouver BC
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
Gamer234

Another Obnoxious related question. Another Munchkin had a +4 item equipped, and is carrying another +4 item without using it. When I hit him with the Obnoxious curse he wondered whether he could ditch the unused +4 item. I responded that unused items that you carry don't provide bonuses until they are wielded thus it can't fulfill the curse.

Correct?

Last edited by Gamer234; 08-09-2010 at 09:27 AM. Reason: edited out sideboard ;)
Old 08-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
MunchkinMan

You are correct, if by sideboard you mean carried but unused Items. I don't know what "sideboard" means in Munchkin since it's not an official game term. As always, we prefer people to not use unofficial game terms so as not to confuse people and add a billion definitions that Andrew and I then have to track.
MiB #1029
Old 08-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
Gamer234

Edited for clarity, thanks!

Tags
kneepads of allure, truly obnoxious curse