Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
BraselC5048

Default When exactly does the 22+2x Acc limit apply? Does it to throwing skill?

Anyway, character took a bet on being able toss/flip a knife into a given area. Speed/range penalties obviously, but how to run it? As a ranged attack, it would get +8 for being out of combat, but run hard into the 22+2x Acc limit from Tactical Shooting, assuming it's Acc 0 or 1. Using Throwing skill, (or some other skill), would it either get the non-combat bonuses but be limited to 22+2x Acc, get the non-combat modifiers but non be subject to the Acc limit, or ignore both?
BraselC5048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: When exactly does the 22+2x Acc limit apply? Does it to throwing skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraselC5048 View Post
Anyway, character took a bet on being able toss/flip a knife into a given area. Speed/range penalties obviously, but how to run it? As a ranged attack, it would get +8 for being out of combat, but run hard into the 22+2x Acc limit from Tactical Shooting, assuming it's Acc 0 or 1. Using Throwing skill, (or some other skill), would it either get the non-combat bonuses but be limited to 22+2x Acc, get the non-combat modifiers but non be subject to the Acc limit, or ignore both?
Let me answer that a bit tangentially.

The point of 22+2*Acc is to represent something that gradually drifts in a random direction from a flight path. It applies quite well to bullets, and probably OK for the rest of things too.

The non-combat bonuses would not increase the maximum. Think of the 22+2xAcc limit as the best result of precision you can get by clamping a gun into a clamped rest, putting a target way off whereever, and pulling a trigger.

Combat, no combat . . . there's only so accurate the platform can be, and 22+2*Acc is supposed to be it.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
Anthony

Default Re: When exactly does the 22+2x Acc limit apply? Does it to throwing skill?

The acc limit is based on the property of launchers, which a thrown knife doesn't have, but based on darts, which have a 1/2" central ring at a range of 93.75" (including round circle modifiers, -10 to hit), capping skill at 22 does not seem unreasonable.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
BraselC5048

Running through the math some more, the target area has to be bigger, but taking weight distribution into account, anywhere within the new, much larger target won't, in fact, knock the thing over (which the goal was to avoid). A .5 lb knife far out has leverage, but not as much as something like 4 lb a lot closer to the center. I had figured it would need to be much more accurate that it actually needed to be. Yay a little engineering knowledge and math!
BraselC5048 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acc, non combat, speed/range, tactical shooting, throwing