Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
zoncxs

Default Bad temper and what can be done with it.

So I just came to a point where my guy has bad temper, which triggered, and he chose to attack the person ( its a gladiator fight so we are fighting anyways ). I started in a defensive grip, stepped in and attacked defensively, then stepped back (using extra effort). I didn't know We weren't using extra effort so i have to redo my turn but my question is this:

does having bad temper mean you can't use defensive attacks?
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
Fnordianslip

Default Re: Bad temper and what can be done with it.

Nope, Berserk limits your attack options, but Bad Temper doesn't. Just because you're ****** doesn't mean you forget how to fight. It does make you start fights by getting angry, maybe hit more brutally than when not angry, etc.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
zoncxs

thank you for the respond
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
Kazander

Personally, I would judge that a person who starts a fight because of a Bad Temper control roll failure ought to be at a disadvantage to begin with. That's the whole point of Taunting, IMO.

This is just off the cuff, but perhaps the Bad Tempered individual should have to make very aggressive attaks, like Committed Attacks, Slams or Telegraphic Attacks, until such time as his opponent makes 2 or 3 successful defenses, at which time I'd allow another control roll to get that temper under control. And I think disallowing Feints, Retreats, Defensive Grips during this period would also be in keeping with the spirit of someone who just lost his temper.

Perhaps mitigate this with saying the control roll has to be failed by 2 or more for this result; failure by 1 means he can attack normally. Or something like that.

Just a thought. Strictly speaking, Fnordianslip is correct and that by RAW, Bad Temper does not limit your options.
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Xilodel

IDHMBWM, but if I remember correctly, there's an optional rule somewhere in MA that states if you attempt to play up an opponents mental shortcomings, they make an self control roll. Failure indicates they are at -2 to DX for the encounter. For instance, if a character has Lecherousness, an attractive member of the opposite sex can make a Sex Appeal check before the battle to distract his/her opponent.

I see no reason this couldn't work for similarly for Bad Temper, making someone more reckless in combat. However, if this optional effect kicks in every fight, the disadvantage becomes considerably more disabling than it is in RAW.

Personally, I don't think characters with Bad Temper should be have their options or attitudes limited in combat. Bad Temper makes you hot-headed and emotional - more likely to start fights or embarrass yourself in public, but not necessarily more aggressive or self destructive once combat starts. A bad tempered PC who wants to shut up an excessively annoying NPC might smack him upside the head or scream at him to stop talking, rather than politely get up and leave, but he won't immediately resort to curb stomping. Bloodthirstiness and berserker fury have their own appropriate disadvantages.
Xilodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilodel
IDHMBWM, but if I remember correctly, there's an optional rule somewhere in MA that states if you attempt to play up an opponents mental shortcomings, they make an self control roll. Failure indicates they are at -2 to DX for the encounter. For instance, if a character has Lecherousness, an attractive member of the opposite sex can make a Sex Appeal check before the battle to distract his/her opponent.
I don't remember that in Martial Arts (might still be there, I guess), but there is something like it in the Trickery section in Dungeon Fantasy 2, p10.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I don't remember that in Martial Arts (might still be there, I guess), but there is something like it in the Trickery section in Dungeon Fantasy 2, p10.
I think you are thining about the Concentration and the Martial Arts box on page 130 of GURPS Martial Arts. It basically gives a -2 to DX for being distracted if the GM thinks it should.

BTW, side note: Berserking *sucks* in a grapple as one of my players found out last night.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
So I just came to a point where my guy has bad temper, which triggered, and he chose to attack the person ( its a gladiator fight so we are fighting anyways ). I started in a defensive grip, stepped in and attacked defensively, then stepped back (using extra effort). I didn't know We weren't using extra effort so i have to redo my turn but my question is this:

does having bad temper mean you can't use defensive attacks?
I wouldn't say can't, but it's the sort of thing I think about when I'm giving out XP for RPing your Disadvantages. Defensive Grip, on the other hand, is peachy keen for Bad-Tempered attacks, because it means more damage. You're choking up on the bat and putting your whole upper body into it! Ragggggh! ;]
Gold & Appel Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I wouldn't say can't, but it's the sort of thing I think about when I'm giving out XP for RPing your Disadvantages. Defensive Grip, on the other hand, is peachy keen for Bad-Tempered attacks, because it means more damage. You're choking up on the bat and putting your whole upper body into it! Ragggggh! ;]
Bad Temper like this is an example of Affective Aggression,and so it seems perfectly justifiable, if you lose your temper to someone with greater skill than you, to take a defensive stance and call out your opponent, and even evaluate. All the while you are attempting to intimidate or manipulate your opponent into acquiescing. You might not even attack them , but break something in an attempt to intimidate, for instance.

Heck, I know people whose bad temper took years to come to fruition (and one famous example from the pre-merovingians, which I cannot remember). This would be more similiar to Predatory Aggression. The effect is the same, you can defensively strike.

Berserk, on the other hand, means you jsut flat out attack. It is also Affective Aggression, just more extreme
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad temper, combat