Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #21
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Treasures and Helping in Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerftw View Post
They would get nothing, or the player who's turn it is might agree to renegotiate.
If they ask for the 3rd to last and the last, I don't think "nothing" could ever be the correct answer. There is still a last Treasure, simply no 3rd to last position in the Treasure count. I would argue that the agreement was still for two treasures, and since there is no 3rd to last, they'd get the second to last (i.e., the 1st), instead.
MiB #1029
Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #22
Grax

Our method is to say for instance, 1 I pick first, or 2 I pick first, depending on the number of treasures, and the other things going on.

If there are three treasures, the offer would be< "I'll only take 1 treasure, but only if I pick first, or you can Pick first, and I'll take two treasures. . ." >

Works out pretty well most of the time..
Old 02-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #23
Nerftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
If they ask for the 3rd to last and the last, I don't think "nothing" could ever be the correct answer. There is still a last Treasure, simply no 3rd to last position in the Treasure count. I would argue that the agreement was still for two treasures, and since there is no 3rd to last, they'd get the second to last (i.e., the 1st), instead.
Yeah, I completely read that wrong. I was thinking "3rd and 4th" when I responded.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #24
snarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grax View Post
Our method is to say for instance, 1 I pick first, or 2 I pick first, depending on the number of treasures, and the other things going on.

If there are three treasures, the offer would be< "I'll only take 1 treasure, but only if I pick first, or you can Pick first, and I'll take two treasures. . ." >

Works out pretty well most of the time..
Generally, that's what we do too, but every once in awhile a couple people REALLY want to help and it winds up becoming a bidding war, and a challenge to the person who "loses" that war to try to screw the "winner" out of treasures (all in good Munchkin fun, of course).
Old 02-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #25
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerftw View Post
Yeah, I completely read that wrong. I was thinking "3rd and 4th" when I responded.
I read it wrong 3 times, then picked it up on the 4th, which, fortunately, was the time before I finally had time to answer. :-)
MiB #1029
Old 02-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #26
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedag View Post
What does amaze me is that so many seem to leave it to assumption that if the helper doesn't specify their choice then it is automatically the choice of main player.
I'm not entirely sure why this isn't a safe assumption.
I was looking at the rules for something else and in the original munchkin, munchkin holiday edition, Cthulhu, Fu, Bites, Good Bad & Munchkin they all state that when asking for help you should specify who gets what choice of treasure. So I would say that is a good reason that one should not assume the main player gets to choose. I have both old and new rules and they both say that.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #27
uttwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedag View Post
I was looking at the rules for something else and in the original munchkin, munchkin holiday edition, Cthulhu, Fu, Bites, Good Bad & Munchkin they all state that when asking for help you should specify who gets what choice of treasure. So I would say that is a good reason that one should not assume the main player gets to choose. I have both old and new rules and they both say that.
Actually I think you just made an argument for the side opposite your opinion.

The lines you reference above stipulate that the treasure can be split up after combat amongst the helpers but it does not specify how this is to be accomplished. If there is no helper, or if the helper does not want any treasure (i.e. an elf who just wants the level), then all treasure goes to the main combatant. If you want someone to help you out, you may have to convince them to help. You can offer treasure (with no stipulation, meaning they get what they get), their pick of treasure, your pick of treasure (which is the same as first choice I mentioned, just explicitly stated), etc.

I think that if the person agreed to help for X treasures then they get X treasures (and since they didn't negotiate whether it was theri choice or yours then they get what they get). Like I said earlier, within my group this is a bargaining tool: person A will help for 1 treasure of their choice, person B offers to help for just 1 treasure.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #28
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Hey, gang. Clearly this is enough of an ambiguity that we need to address it in the FAQ. We are planning to update the FAQ in the next few weeks. Till then, please hang tight.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Closed Thread

Tags
combat, helping, modify, negotiate, treasures