Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 05-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
Ex astris, veritas

Default Combat System Confusion

So, I was reading through the corebook last night (I've got the blue hardback w/ the Christopher Shy painting on the cover) and I noticed something in the combat rules I'd somehow managed to miss all these years -- it seems to indicate that when making at attack roll, my TN is equal to my Fighting or Weapon Skill plus the relevant Characteristic PLUS Corporeal Forces??? Since when do Forces add to Skill rolls? Is this just in combat, or have I been handling every Skill roll wrong? Is this handled by an errata somewhere?

Just for total clarity, if my angel has Fighting/3, 3 Corporeal Forces and Strength 6 -- is my TN on an attack roll 9 or 12? I've been using 9 all along. If this were a climbing roll instead, and the angel had Climbing/3, would the TN be 9 or 12?
Ex astris, veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Jason

Default Re: Combat System Confusion

This came up in a recent "Rules Questions" thread. Long story short: You add Corporeal Forces ONLY for close-range attacks, like swords or fists, not for guns or other kinds of attacks. (It is a way of encouraging swordfighting over making guns uber-weapons.)
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

What Jason said. (Also, since Fighting is so privileged and Dodge is not, it means you actually have a chance to end a high-Vessel-level fight sometime before the heat-death of the universe...) So your Fighting is Skill + Strength + Forces, but your Climbing is only Skill + Strength. (Don't make me look that up and make sure it's Str and not Dex...)

So Fighting 12, Climbing 9.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
Ex astris, veritas

Excellent. Thanks for the clarifications, y'all. Next chance I have to play/run In Nomine, I think the combats will run much more quickly.
Ex astris, veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
BillionSix

You're in Raleigh? Cool! Me too!

If you ever get an In Nomine game going, feel free to contact me!

Tags
rules