Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-15-2022, 03:38 PM   #141
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: GURPS On Demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filaristil View Post
Just wondering, I think I heard during the FnordCon RPG panel last week that we'd be getting some hardcover/color GURPS On Demand books. Anyone have any idea when that could be? I currently don't own any physical GURPS books and I'm wondering if I should wait for the hardcovers to show up or just buy the current black-and-white paperbacks right now. I think I heard that hardcovers would show up by the end of the year, but I'm not 100% sure.
These are not hardcovers. These are softcovers.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:03 AM   #142
nick

Hi,

will Gurps Vehicles be a POD soon? Thanks
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:38 AM   #143
Battlegrounds

I'm also looking for GURPS Vehicles and GURPS Supers (3e) on demand. Any idea when these vital books will be available???

Thanks!!!
Battlegrounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:57 AM   #144
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Several titles have been added as full-color print-on-demand books:

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/ondemand/
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:03 PM   #145
Steven Marsh

As a quick update, GURPS Ultra-Tech for GURPS Fourth Edition is now available in full color as print-on-demand. (It joins the 11 other color volumes that were released earlier this week.)
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 12:02 AM   #146
lordabdul

I got "GURPS Conan" as POD and was disappointed in the quality -- the text is slightly blurry, which I suppose comes from the fact that this version was produced from scans of the old book? Is this expected? And if so, is there a way to know which PODs are produced from scans vs PODs produced from better sources like the original layout software files?
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:57 PM   #147
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
I got "GURPS Conan" as POD and was disappointed in the quality -- the text is slightly blurry, which I suppose comes from the fact that this version was produced from scans of the old book? Is this expected? And if so, is there a way to know which PODs are produced from scans vs PODs produced from better sources like the original layout software files?
Each scanned item should denote its origin. For example, all the GURPS Conan supplements have this information at the bottom of their Amazon blurbs:
Quote:
(This is a reprint of a GURPS Third Edition product. Its interior is based on a scanned copy of the most-recent print version, so there will be imperfections compared to modern all-digital releases.)
In general, anything that was previously published prior to the mid-1990s will be based on a scanned copy. (At present, I believe the only scanned items we're offering as POD are the GURPS Conan books and Man to Man.)

I hope this helps!

Last edited by Steven Marsh; 12-12-2022 at 08:00 PM.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 12:02 AM   #148
Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
That is a problem with a lot of scanned PDFs not only with SJG. There are computer programms which sharpen the text and remove any creases in the original, including all the little problems with scratches and dust particles, or yellowing paper.

A friend of mine has the job to scan old maps and plans for a big company, shove ist through the big scanner and the computer does the rest.

Sadly that hardware and software has a very nice price tag. I guess way out of range for SJG.

The alternative is scanning the text, running a OCR software and cut out the pictures, and redesign all that into a new copy for sale, including a modern typo. Sadly - again very time consumig and to expensive.

I tried this method with a old Scan from a friends habilitation, it took me 4 weeks of free time to get it right.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 12:49 AM   #149
lordabdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
Each scanned item should denote its origin. For example, all the GURPS Conan supplements have this information at the bottom of their Amazon blurbs:
Ah thanks! It didn't occur to me to look for that information on the Amazon page. I was looking for it on the SJG website's own page. Maybe it could be added there too?

I want to make it clear that I totally understand why it's like that. I just want to be able to manage my expectations in the future.
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 07:19 AM   #150
seycyrus

I see that the POD titles continue to come out at a steady stream, which is great!

Is there a timeline for when some of the core books of the Dungeon Fantasy series would become available? I'd consider

DF1 (Adventurers),
DF2 (Dungeons),
DF 16 (Wilderness Adventures),
DF 8 (Treasure Tables)

to be the "core" rule books. Followed by,

DF Treasures 1 (Glittering Prizes)
and the Dungeon Fantasy Monsters line.

Are any of these books in the queue?

Thanks!
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pod; print on demand