Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #61
KhyberJoe

Default Re: Rulebook PDF Posted

7.14.4 - Ogres cannot fire missiles while underwater?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #62
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhyberJoe View Post
7.14.4 - Ogres cannot fire missiles while underwater?
Correct. It's been that way since the beginning:

G.E.V. 1st Ed - 6.113 Water.
An infantry unit in a water hex may not attack; its defense strength is unaffected. A GEV on water attacks and defends normally. An Ogre submerged in a water hex may not attack. It may not be attacked except by Howitzers, Mobile Howitzers, and Ogre missiles. Furthermore, all attacks made against the Ogre are at half strength.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #63
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Road + Terrain effects
7.14.3 Defensive terrain and roads. A unit on the road gets the full defensive bonus of the terrain in its hex.
The terrain effects table does not make this clear:
Any unit which begins its movement phase on the road, and stays on the road for the entire movement phase, may take a bonus movement of 1 extra hex. If taken, the extra hex MUST be used on the road. Units moving along the road ignore underlying terrain.
Either add text to the description, or reference 7.14.3 somehow on the terrain effects table, for example:
Any unit which begins its movement phase on the road, and stays on the road for the entire movement phase, may take a bonus movement of 1 extra hex. If taken, the extra hex MUST be used on the road. Units moving along the road ignore underlying terrain, but do get the defense bonus (7.14.3).
Old 10-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #64
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

The text for Ridge hexside effects conflicts:
2.02.1 Ridge hexsides. Heavy black markings along hexsides indicate ridges of loose debris that block movement. Only Ogres and infantry may cross ridge hexsides. Units may fire over ridges.
5.08.3 Ridges do not affect Ogres and Superheavies. Other heavy tracked units may not cross ridges.
If SHVYs are allowed in Ogre map games, these should match; ie, 2.02.1 should be changed to include SHVYs:
2.02.1 Ridge hexsides. Heavy black markings along hexsides indicate ridges of loose debris that block movement. Only Ogres, Superheavies and infantry may cross ridge hexsides. Units may fire over ridges.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #65
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

5.08.3 Swamp

The terrain effect table says 2 movement points to enter for heavy tracked units, but 5.08.3 has no text to support this.
A heavy tracked vehicle entering a swamp hex must roll one die; on a roll of 1 or 2, the unit is stuck. Place a “Stuck” marker on it. A stuck unit may fire its weapon(s) normally, but may not move for the rest of the game.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #66
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Ok, I think this is the last thing...

The terrain effect table has visual column separators for the shaded rows, but the white rows have no separators. It's not strictly needed (its reasonably obvious what text goes with what item), and I'm not sure what would look better, but it just feels a little "off" looking at it.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #67
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
5.07.1 Road Bonus
"It may not use the additional hex to leave the road, ram, or overrun."

That last part is new; does that mean you can't use it to ram or overrun, even if you are continuing on the road? Why would the road bonus specifically disallow that?
I kind of see the reason for not allowing a ram (Section 6 rules), but I don't see why it can't be used for an overrun (Section 8 rules). I know that post-overrun the road will be cut, but until then the road bonus should be available to any unit that can use it. Since using the bonus means that those units can't move post-overrun anyway, the fact that the road is cut shouldn't be a problem...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #68
offsides

Finally getting to the rulebook, so here's what I've got that isn't already covered:

2.00.3 Map Overlays - Are ridge/no ridge hexsides the ONLY hexside overlays allowed? Or are other hexside overlays allowed? If other hexside overlays are allowed, you might want to change the text to not imply otherwise.

3.04.1 Ogre Record Sheet - The image is tilted, which looks really bad in the PDF. Not sure if that's an issue (and I'm assuming it'll look fine when printed), but the lines look really bad (at leas in my PDF viewer, which I will grant most people don't use (Okular on F16).

6.07.2 GEVs ramming armor units - I still think that ram damage should be based on defense strength (i.e., mass) rather than attack strength. It just makes more sense to me than basing ram damage in a suicide attack on how strong the guns are...

13.07 Partial Damage for Superheavies - On the SHVY record sheet, why do the AP guns have boxes? There's no way for them to get lost separately, and it adds confusion as to which guns are being referred to for a 1,2 result.

That's all I'm seeing right now, otherwise it looks real good! Also, I want to say a HUGE thank you for adding the clarification on how to combine fire phases in 4.03.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #69
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
I kind of see the reason for not allowing a ram (Section 6 rules), but I don't see why it can't be used for an overrun (Section 8 rules). I know that post-overrun the road will be cut, but until then the road bonus should be available to any unit that can use it. Since using the bonus means that those units can't move post-overrun anyway, the fact that the road is cut shouldn't be a problem...
Well, the inference is that somehow ramming or overrun is special movement and the road bonus can't be used to reach a unit in order to initiate either. If your target is on the road hex in front of you, what makes it special that disallows using the road bonus?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #70
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
3.04.1 Ogre Record Sheet - The image is tilted, which looks really bad in the PDF. Not sure if that's an issue (and I'm assuming it'll look fine when printed), but the lines look really bad (at leas in my PDF viewer, which I will grant most people don't use (Okular on F16).
I think that's just you. Looks ok to me, and printed will probably be fine.

Quote:
6.07.2 GEVs ramming armor units - I still think that ram damage should be based on defense strength (i.e., mass) rather than attack strength. It just makes more sense to me than basing ram damage in a suicide attack on how strong the guns are...
Actually, defense strength isn't necessarily just a mass measurement. I've always understood it to represent a combination of armor/maneuverability. That said, it is a bit weird that GEVs are somehow special in this regard. Basically, they are the only thing smaller than a SHVY that is fast enough (and big enough) to be able to ram other units, but how does that make them that potent in a ram?

Somewhere else it was suggested that GEV ramming damage is a factor of the powerplant exploding during a high speed impact, justifying attack strength that way. I'm not so sure I buy that, either. I'm also not sure that's enough to justify a 1-1 on the train. I mean, a GEV = SHVY in a ram on the train and everything else is a 1-2?

I'd like to hear some of the rationale behind this, too.

Edit: Incidentally, if it said "twice the defense strength", the value would still be the same. ;-)
I'd still like to know the reasoning, though.

Last edited by GranitePenguin; 10-25-2012 at 10:35 PM.
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote