Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 05-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #1
syncrogt1

Default ADQ Rocket Rules and VFRP

In one of the ADQs, there were some rules for do it your self rocket designs. It basically allowed you to make a VFRP with 2d6 rockets, IIRC. Did anyone else experiment with those rules? If I interpreted them correctly, you could essentially end up with 10-12d6 of damage, fired every other round. Add some guidance and it was quite formidable.
syncrogt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: ADQ Rocket Rules and VFRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncrogt1 View Post
In one of the ADQs, there were some rules for do it your self rocket designs. It basically allowed you to make a VFRP with 2d6 rockets, IIRC. Did anyone else experiment with those rules? If I interpreted them correctly, you could essentially end up with 10-12d6 of damage, fired every other round. Add some guidance and it was quite formidable.
I'm at the wrong computer to look it up right now, but I think the rules for this were in _ADQ 8/3_; I do know it was one of the 8.5"x11" issues, with a mostly-blue cover.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:02 AM   #3
syncrogt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I'm at the wrong computer to look it up right now, but I think the rules for this were in _ADQ 8/3_; I do know it was one of the 8.5"x11" issues, with a mostly-blue cover.

I have the issue. I am wondering if anyone used those rules to make some game breaking weaponry. I frequently loaded Luxes with them and ravaged the highways.
syncrogt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:33 AM   #4
DarkPumpkin

Anyone know which issue it was in? I don't think it was 8-3.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
Magesmiley

It was ADQ 7/3.

Our group used them for a bit after the issue. It was kind of an eh for us.

My group was large though - 6 duelists was a small arena battle. We had ones with 12(!) players fairly often. The result was that while you were guaranteed a couple of kills, the ammo supply for VFRPs of any flavor pretty much guaranteed that you wouldn't win.

The 2d version is probably a tad strong in smaller arena battles, especially when mixed with laser guidance and incendiaries.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:10 PM   #6
svawter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
It was ADQ 7/3.

Our group used them for a bit after the issue. It was kind of an eh for us.

My group was large though - 6 duelists was a small arena battle. We had ones with 12(!) players fairly often. The result was that while you were guaranteed a couple of kills, the ammo supply for VFRPs of any flavor pretty much guaranteed that you wouldn't win.

The 2d version is probably a tad strong in smaller arena battles, especially when mixed with laser guidance and incendiaries.
as mentioned, ADQ 7/3, Strafing and Rockets in AERODUEL by Stephen Beeman, pg 6 "Advanced Rocket Construction Rules" and then pg7 a chart for Self-Launched, Rack-Launched (Single (RL/MML) or Rotary (VFRP) Launchers) Guidance & Warhead options. So, in theory you could make a Super AP (4d+4) wire guided (6th) VFRP with 30 shots. As long as you have 12 spaces to put it in :D

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...mber-7-slash-3

http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG30-8727_preview.pdf

Last edited by svawter; 05-30-2020 at 05:12 PM. Reason: add links
svawter is offline   Reply With Quote