Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 02-02-2020, 05:01 PM   #1
Chernobyl

Default Racing track

anyone ever played with drag strips in car wars? I recently found a source of 1/64 dragsters and am curious for next years event...

a 1/4 mile track in matchbox scale is 22 feet long. way too big for a typical event. I could make an 11 foot map and have the cars mirror on the way back...
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:09 AM   #2
swordtart

Default Re: Racing track

Given that you only go in one direction with a drag strip and that it is generally a straight line, you could just lay out two road sections (each a foot or two long). Consider these to be section A and B.

Once a vehicle hits section B you add a new section call it C. Once a vehicle hits section C remove section A. All vehicles on section A are out of the chase (they fell behind) and disqualified. Shunt the road down the table to make room for new sections (this is can usually be achieved easily without disturbing the vehicles.

Repeat.

This mechanism worked fine with Thunder Road. It avoids needing an overly long play surface and the attendant issues with players being able to access the vehicles and spectators being able to see (on a long playing surface generally the action will be confined to a small subset of the overall surface at any stage with the rest of the surface barren.

That said drag races can be pretty dull affairs as the scope for manoeuvring is low.

On a long table you could spread it out and make it a bit more interesting by using a variant of the Rich Man Poor Man scenario (where the vehicles get a staggered start with the cheapest starting first). That could mean that by the time the last car starts the cheapest could be out of range (better hope the expensive car has decent acceleration.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post
anyone ever played with drag strips in car wars? I recently found a source of 1/64 dragsters and am curious for next years event...

a 1/4 mile track in matchbox scale is 22 feet long. way too big for a typical event. I could make an 11 foot map and have the cars mirror on the way back...
_Dueltrack_ has Dragsters -- the designs are a bit like Sidecars, in that the weapons and armor all face to one side; it is stated that if the vehicle has to use the other lane during events, the side armor and weapons can be quickly changed to point the other way.

Way-back-when: I had rules for Drag Racing In _CW_; they were never published. It didn't much matter, as it just wasn't that interesting -- "drive in straight line; exchange broadsides; see if someone dies before reaching the end of the strip". Dull.

1/64 is definitely Too Big for Drag Racing.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:41 AM   #4
Pacey

We had planned to do a dragster event on several parallel streets on the Midville map, but it never happened. I could dig out the details if you're interested.
Pacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #5
Chernobyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacey View Post
We had planned to do a dragster event on several parallel streets on the Midville map, but it never happened. I could dig out the details if you're interested.
I would, thanks.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:24 AM   #6
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post

We did... once. Maybe twice. We weren't impressed with dragsters.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #7
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Way-back-when: I had rules for Drag Racing In _CW_; they were never published. It didn't much matter, as it just wasn't that interesting -- "drive in straight line; exchange broadsides; see if someone dies before reaching the end of the strip". Dull.

1/64 is definitely Too Big for Drag Racing.
Even at classic CW scale of 1/180, your quarter mile strip is over 7 feet long - and while some people have tables that can cope, I agree that it's not visually interesting.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #8
43Supporter

There's also the problem of Acceleration, or Lack Thereof -- these days, the top-shelf straight-liners are hitting triple-digit speeds in well under one second; what's the best a _CW_-Official design can manage?

Yes, my drag-racing rules had Hazards for Acceleration. :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #9
owenmp

Dear Chernobyl,

The Drag Racing rules from Games Workshop's Dark Future, published in White Dwarf Magazine, might be able to be imported into Car Wars Fourth Edition.

A Day at the Races
Source: White Dwarf 106
Date: October 1988

JoustDuelling was used at the 2034-2035 AADA World Duelling Championships. Joustduelling is also discussed in AADA RASG Volume 1: The East Coast.

There are two types of joustduelling dueltracks that have been featured. One was the dueltrack featured at the 2034-2035 AADA World Duelling Championships. The other joustduelling arena, featured in the AADA RASG Volume 1: The East Coast, features a very different design.

Here is a possible idea for a racing event. Two dragsters run in the same direction on two standard drag strips. Each of those drag strips have safety cones or pressure plates that need to be crossed or avoided to earn points. Maneuvering will give a dragster points but will lower Handling Status and might lower speed. Driving on a points-earning dragstrip occurs at the same time as the opposing dragster is firing at you.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:28 PM   #10
Chernobyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
Dear Chernobyl,

The Drag Racing rules from Games Workshop's Dark Future, published in White Dwarf Magazine, might be able to be imported into Car Wars Fourth Edition.

A Day at the Races
Source: White Dwarf 106
Date: October 1988

JoustDuelling was used at the 2034-2035 AADA World Duelling Championships. Joustduelling is also discussed in AADA RASG Volume 1: The East Coast.

There are two types of joustduelling dueltracks that have been featured. One was the dueltrack featured at the 2034-2035 AADA World Duelling Championships. The other joustduelling arena, featured in the AADA RASG Volume 1: The East Coast, features a very different design.

Here is a possible idea for a racing event. Two dragsters run in the same direction on two standard drag strips. Each of those drag strips have safety cones or pressure plates that need to be crossed or avoided to earn points. Maneuvering will give a dragster points but will lower Handling Status and might lower speed. Driving on a points-earning dragstrip occurs at the same time as the opposing dragster is firing at you.
have to go dig out my East Coast survival guide :) thanks for the information. This would be for next year's event, if I go forward. a circular race track in matchbox scale would be a challenge, the muskogee mayhem track was 4 map sheets! that's why I'd like to try a drag strip 1/4 mile. its linear and easy to lay out at a convention. I could probably adapt a rule that the length of the track is at half scale, and come up with a new turning key if needed. I have two Dragsters and two funny cars on order. Dragsters need new bases as they're 1.5 inches long, so I may also decide to start making some truck and bus bases for other types of games.