Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 03-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #61
Pentalarc

Default Re: Combat Garage Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
Are you just approving every submitted design? Have some standards, man ;)

I do not approve illegal, illogical, or repetitive designs, or the like. HOwever, I do think that it is more proper for people to then rate and critique the vehicles, rather than use the fact that they have approval to eliminate vehicles they do not like. Also, I think there is a difference in what many people think a proper design is. I include designs that are RP vehicles (taxi, courier, cycle gang vehicles, daily drivers, exeuctive vehicles, luxury vehicles, luxury RV's and the like for the wealthy corporates in the background, (in the style of vehicle guide 1 and 2) while others tend to only like exact arena designs made to the edge of the divisions for arena work only (in the style of vehicle guide 3).
Old 03-08-2016, 12:42 AM   #62
Racer

Builder won't allow front corner mounts on Buses & Semi Trailers for some reason , plus you can't mount Drop Gases Front , LF , RF or TF at all . These are fine on Cars , 10-Wheelers and 20-30 Foot Car Trailers .

I do think main rules should be changed so that Trikes ( and Boats ) can have drop weapons in Corner Mounts on back two corners ? Minor thing I know but seems unfair the a Sub can use them & a X-Hvy Trike can't ...
Old 03-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #63
Racer

Okay I can't seem to log in via either browser at the moment - all I get is error message . I can save vehicles but it's extremely annoying typing email address in repeatedly each time . It is possibly a server problem, but clearing data/resetting has no positive results ?

Would it be possible to add Silencers ( or Silencers/Flash Suppressors ) and StealthKote Shielding as options ? My Recon , Scout & Stealth vehicles designs are suffering from the lack .

Last edited by Racer; 03-12-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #64
Racer

Ah another bit of errata : Side Doors are still listed as weighing 500lbs , instead of corrected weight of 50lbs from UACFH .

A lot of 'Military resticted' items that shouldn't be - Cranes , LiteAmp , Military Radios etc , etc - should be available as accessories . We can't design a proper stealth vehicle without IR Shielding or Remote Sensors , can we ? ;-)
Old 03-15-2016, 02:20 AM   #65
swordtart

Is that an error in all the previous editions or an error in UACFH?

Plus those restricted items as listed as restricted in UACFH (either military or non-AADA), can't have it both ways ;)

Last edited by swordtart; 03-15-2016 at 02:25 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:53 PM   #66
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Is that an error in all the previous editions or an error in UACFH )
50lbs is the correct value - makes sense as an Assault Ramp is 100lbs & that has an opening mechanism .

Also noticed you can get SIX Drop Spike Plates under a Luxury ?!? Unless rules have been changed , I thought it was still one DSP/LDSP per vehicle ? I suppose you could mount two FDSPs under a 40' Bus or Trailer but it's be pretty pointless ... :-p

[Edit] I've noted that both Cycles & Reverse Trikes also can mount them ... Drop Solids seem to be able to be mounted in the TOP position as well ... :-))

Last edited by Racer; 03-16-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:19 AM   #67
swordtart

Was this errata formally published for the side door or are you taking UACFH is the definitive source - not unreasonable, but it is just as prone to error have as any other source?

Your logic regarding the assault ramp is sound. I'll have to remember it when my players next upgrade their rig.

I thought at first the wheel ramps were inconsistent (weighing twice as much as the Assault ramp) and were more consistent with the 500lb for a side door. However as you have already paid the weight for armour on the side door and assault ramp, as you say, the extra weight may simply be the mechanism to move it aside or lower it (and it makes sense that the sliding mechanism weighs less than a raising mechanism). Wheel ramps are of course independent of armour (as flatbeds don't have rear armour).
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #68
Racer

Not sure where I saw but Wheel Ramps are available singly at 100lbs & $150 each . Three are needed to load a Trike onto a vehicle .

I do think Assault Ramps should be available for Flatbeds : many car and construction vehicle Transporters in the UK have motorised rear ramps these days . Normally controlled by a heavy leaded hand device near the ramp , but easily converted to open from Cab or remotely ( ERIS perhaps ) . Okay they take about 5-10 seconds to drop rather than the Assault Ramps 5 phases , but sure that can be adjusted for gameplay .
Old 03-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #69
Magesmiley

Racer, I think you're running into one of the biggest issues that plagued Car Wars: conflicting rules. Half the time these were intentional changes and half the time they were caused by oversights and editing issues. How to tell which is which? That's the real trick.

Scott doesn't seem interested in trying to get these things cleared up for 4E (as he is focused on 6E), so the best guidance you're probably going to find is the advice of those here on the forums. (Scott does occasionally give a stamp of approval to the items in the Classic Errata thread though, which is as close to an official correction on some of these things that you'll find). For the rest of the issues, you'll often find conflicting opinions.

Here's some things that I look at when trying to figure out if something is a deliberate change or an editing error:

1. Take a look at any published Q&A or commentary. Often these have the most in-depth explanations. Unfortunately these are few and far between in the later years of Car Wars.
2. Look at any prior versions of the rule or item. Is the text significantly different or just carried forward. In the latter case, other rules changing often had unintended effects on text which was carried forward. Was a new paragraph (which typically means new rules) or is the change a rephrasing of the prior rule (and if so, why might someone have changed it).
3. Take a look at other related rules and see if they offer any help.
4. Look at discussions about problems in the rules and try to figure out the history of the changes. Knowing how rules like concussions, component armor, and laser guidance evolved helps to figure out how they are supposed to work and what is the current version.
5. Take a look at how major of an update a published source was. Is it mostly just lifted from the prior version or were there major rules/item updates in it?
6. In the case of UACFH, look for an "improved" in the item's name in its entry. That is a dead giveaway that any changes are intentional.

Myself, I generally treat UACFH as the most definitive set of rules for items unless there is something blatantly wrong. Followed by the latest Compendium. Others have a different system.

FWIW, this lack of rules consistency (coupled with the rise of CCGs) is IMO really what caused the game's decline. People simply couldn't figure out and agree on how the game was supposed to work. I don't think the plethora of options was really the issue. Deckbuilding in CCGs is very similar to car design in Car Wars, and CCGs seem to have proven this claim very wrong - people love having new and different ways of dismantling their opponents. Having tight, consistent rules on the other hand is really important. And doubly so in today's market.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #70
Pentalarc

Just noticed something odd. My comments sometimes show up credited as "pentalarc" but other times with my email address. Not sure why, at seems to be random.