Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 02-04-2020, 12:41 AM   #1
43Supporter

Default Odd Designs: "The _Piranha_ School"

Many moons ago, I decided to see if the designs from "jumpstart" _CW_ could actually be built out into "proper" _CW_ designs. Naturally, the _Piranha_ was first; as "jumpstart" didn't have equipment like Extra Magazines, I ended up with something which almost, but not quite, matched the original. Being the sort who likes writing background as much as actual designs, I decided to make it a variant of sorts -- a light cargo-hauler, the _Piranha II_:

2036 Piranha II (Atlantic Industries)

Lux.; XH ch.; Hv. susp.; Su. PP [2,600 PF] ; 4x PR tire; Dr., Gn. RL [F]; 3x MG [1 ea. L, R, B]; Cargo: 4 sp.; 600 lbs. Armor: F, B: 40; L, R: 35; T: 7; U: 10; 2x 5-pt. WH [F]; 2x 5-pt WG [B]. $15,990; 6,600 lbs. Acc.: 5; TS: 110 (u.), 102.5 (l.); HC: 3

H/S Opt.: rm. 1 MG, 1 cargo space; add HR [B], SS [B], 25 lbs. cargo cap. Per swap: -$950

L Opt.: rm. Gunner, RL, MGs; add 2x Ls (L) [F], 3 sp. cargo cap. $26,190

T Opt.: rm. 1 MG; add 2-sp. Tu., Link [MGs], 1 sp. cargo cap.; mv. MGs to Tu. Armor: F, B, L, R: 30; T: 37; U: 10. $16,040

[2038] + Opt.: rm. Su. PP; add Lg. PP w/ SC [2,200 PF], MG [B], link [B MGs]. $17,450. Acc.: 5; TS: 90

[2040] Sport Opt.: rm. Su. PP; add Sp. PP w/ SC [3,300 PF], spoiler. $22,490. Acc.: 10; TS: 132.5; HC: 3

Offense Opt.: rm. 1 MG, 1 sp./150 lbs. cargo; add RL, 10 pts. A [both as desired]. +$50

Defense Opts.: rm. 1 MG, 1 sp./150 lbs. cargo; add 15 pts. A, plus 1 of the following:
MD: -$200
MD (Inc. am.): -$100
SMD: +$50
SMD (Inc. or Spider am.): +$350
SS, EM [SS], 6 pts. A: -$580
SD, EM [SD], 6 pts. A: -$530 [-$230 if one mag Expl. or Inc.; +$70 if both]

Further fiddling led to several optional weapons configs, which led to a further background notion: How could Atlantic Industries best advertise the versatility of its design? The solution: Have a convoy of _Piranha IIs_ traveling the country, displaying the variety of possible mountings -- "The _Piranha_ School: Dangerous Individually; Devastating En Masse."

Point Guard? Two Offense Option swaps; mount all three RLs F (linked), and up the F armor to 50. Or perhaps the L Option.

Tail-End Charlie? Three Defense Option swaps, one each Left, Right, and Back.

"Floater"? T Option, or Offense Options.

Air Defense? T Option with Universal Turret.

All supporting basic-model "ash and trash" haulers.

"These are the thoughts which kept me out of the Good Schools." :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:47 AM   #2
Racer

Default Re: Odd Designs: "The _Piranha_ School"

Always liked the concept of the Piranha & way design could modified & improved upon .

With Side Sponson Turrets the rear MG can be removed ; Add SCs , swap out RL for a RR , add Hubs & Guards etc & you'll still have space for cargo & be a good reasonably priced combat vehicle .
I'll try & find version I posted on Combat Garage .
Old 02-08-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
43Supporter

Default Re: Odd Designs: "The _Piranha_ School"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
With Side Sponson Turrets the rear MG can be removed ; Add SCs , swap out RL for a RR , add Hubs & Guards etc & you'll still have space for cargo & be a good reasonably priced combat vehicle .
For a two-MG design, that's where the T model comes in; and with the turret, those 2 MGs can be played on the same target.

I considered an RR upgrade (I think one of the old TSR adventure books mentions this as an option), but since the _VG_ and _MCW_ _Piranha_ didn't have it, I left it off. (If I want a RR and protected tires, I grab a _Defender_. :) )

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote